Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Back in my very misspent youth I learned something your SAS has for it's motto: "Who dares, wins". I've bluffed/fooled/conned my way past 'security' thousands of times by simply appearing 'normal' and by doing things which everyone else saw as "Nobody would be THAT stupid or THAT daring" so they let me sneak right by
Yep, that works. Back when I was really 'in to' photography I'd get access to places I had no right or authorization to be just by hanging a couple big SLRs around my neck and a couple extra lenses on my belt and walking in like I was too busy/important to tell anyone who I was. On a couple occasions when I was stopped I'd just hand over a business card showing my name and the word ' P H O T O G R A P H Y ' in big, bold letters. I can count on one hand the number of times this didn't work. :)

@Juanmontequinto I'm not an expert but it looks like all the other virus detectors in your list did not find the issue. My guess is that it is a false positive. I've never received a customer complaint about malware/viruses with Dashcam Viewer.
Download the old version 15.1.2 Basic August 12, 2019 from K-Lite Codec. Check with total virus and do not have malware.
Will I have a problem with this version of codec because it is old? Can I use it without problems?
Thank you

Download the old version 15.1.2 Basic August 12, 2019 from K-Lite Codec. Check with total virus and do not have malware.
Will I have a problem with this version of codec because it is old? Can I use it without problems?
Thank you
I don't think it's a virus, I think it's a false positive

Last edited:
In the end, install the current codec package with some fear for the positive virus.
Dashcam viewer is fantastic, buy your license. Excellent software
Thanks for your job @traveler

Just bought a license yesterday. Amazing software.

Perhaps the novelty will wear off with time, but it's much better than having to manually group front/rear channel files from my K2 and put them in VLC playlists.

Also the moving map feature is neat.

Dashcam Viewer v3.2.9 Released for Mac and Windows

New Features:
  • Dashcam Viewer can now load up to 1200 2-channel or 1200 1-channel videos at a time. Previously the limits were 500 2-channel or 1000 1-channel videos.
I finally got around to ordering the Mac version today - great work :)

Will it ever be possible to lift that amount of videos at all please? I just gave it a go with the 400GB card currently in the A129 Pro and it has almost 4500 video files in the same folder on there currently (a lot of them are parking files).

It does seem to have parsed 1200 files but it seems to break the dual channel side of things in 3.3.1 by not parsing fully - if I try copying a trip worth of files elsewhere and point the software there it then works as expected with the smaller rear view at the top left.

I guess as cards are getting bigger we're going to see some ridiculous amounts of files on the larger cards.

I'll also up the clip length time to 3 mins longer term as that will reduce the number of files 3 fold when low bitrate parking mode is involved (currently it uses 1 min and why there are so many files).

Thank you (y)

Last edited:
4500 videos? You're killing me, @reverend! ;-)

For now please increase the clip length to 3 or 5 minutes as a workaround, or cherry-pick key videos of interest. At some point I'll need to setup an environment where I can stress test > 1200 videos.

>I guess as cards are getting bigger we're going to see some ridiculous amounts of files on the larger cards.

Or we could see the same number of files but larger frame sizes and bitrates? 4K60p for example.

Dashcam Viewer v3.3.2 Released for Mac and Windows

Dashcam Viewer v3.3.2 was released today for both Mac and Windows. This new version has the following enhancements:

New Camera Supports:
  • GARMIN, finally! Added support for Garmin Dashcam 35, 45, 55, 56 (possibly other Garmin models are compatible as well)
General Improvements:
  • GPX exporter now produces GPX v1.1 namespace.
  • GPX importer now supports <time> stamps with fractional seconds.
  • Novatek-based dashcams: Experimental change to support video filepaths that have non-ascii characters.
Bug Fixes:
  • Nextbase GW units such as 612GW, 533GW:
    • Improved speed of GPS data importation
    • Removed errant map line artifacts.
  • Prevent crash that could happen if GPX datarate is at too high a frequency.
  • Fixed bugs in Crosstour CR900/CR750 loader that would prevent 2-channel videos from being recognized properly.
  • For Crosstour CR900, added fuzzy-search for rear channel video, given a front-channel video. Also, fixed a recently introduced bug that would not read the GPS data from the Crosstour CR900 correctly. Note that newer CR900 firmwares are not supported since Crosstour started obfuscating their GPS data.

Dashcam Viewer showing Garmin Dashcam 45 Video + Data

Dashcam Viewer showing Garmin Dashcam 56 Video + Data

The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Yay, updates!

You're supporting Crosstour cameras? I salute you sir, that must be a labor of love.

I briefly owned two Crosstour action cams. Absolute bottom-of-barrel hot garbage in every way possible. I may be missing out, but it's hard to imagine their dashcams would be better.

Hmm - Norton Safe Web blocks the download of this, as some other download on filedn.com is listed as a "phishing attack". I was able to download the file in a different browser.

Not sure why Norton would complain about filedn.com. It's just the file hosting service I use. Glad you found a workaround.

Some time ago I was corresponding with you regarding loss of audio upon exporting videos that were recorded using Navman 850. The issue is still present even with the 3.3.2 update. Just to clarify, playback within Dashcam Viewer contains video and audio but when you extract the video clip and play back there is no audio. Would really appreciate a fix so I don't need to find another dashcam program to use

There are precious little other programs like this, unless your camera brand provide one.
Universal programs like this and the late registrator viewer are the only chance, but now traveler are aware of the issue so he will probably try and fix it.

Personally i don't really use dedicated dashcam players anymore, back in the day i also mainly used registrator viewer to remove file overlap, and export small segments of video.
But i have found as file overlap are more and more rare now i do just as fine with my video editing software.

Some time ago I was corresponding with you regarding loss of audio upon exporting videos that were recorded using Navman 850. The issue is still present even with the 3.3.2 update. Just to clarify, playback within Dashcam Viewer contains video and audio but when you extract the video clip and play back there is no audio. Would really appreciate a fix so I don't need to find another dashcam program to use

Yes, I remember corresponding with you on this issue. It seemed to be specific to the Navman 850 audio encoding scheme since I hadn't run into it before. Here's more detail: Dashcam Viewer calls ffmpeg to export clips. When testing your sample video, ffmpeg choked with the following error:

Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: adpcm_ima_wav (ms[0][17] / 0x1100736D), 32000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 256 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : Sound Media Handler
[mov @ 0x7f932d028800]
Using MS style audio codec tag, the file may be unplayable!

Today I downloaded the latest version of ffmpeg in hopes that the ffmpeg team had come up with a workaround, but unfortunately I received the same error, plus this:

[mov @ 0x7f932d028800] fatal error, input packet contains no samples
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Not yet implemented in FFmpeg, patches welcome

So sadly I don't have a fix for this issue currently. If you want to pursue this, I would recommend you report a bug to the ffmpeg team, enclose a sample video, and tell them that extracting a short segment of video+audio failed with the above errors.

John

Hello,

Quick question.

Is there a mobile version available?

I may have overlooked that information.

Hello,

Quick question.

Is there a mobile version available?

I may have overlooked that information.

No, as far as I know. Shoehorning that much information onto a smartphone screen might be asking a bit much. But you know, an iPad or Android tablet version might be pretty cool. @traveler?

With the phone decease going all over the world like it are, a mobile version would probably sell well.
Several in my family don't even have a PC, and cant see why they should have one when they have a smartphone.

My video editing suite, also have a phone version that come with the bundle for PC.
But due to me having a intense dislike for phones it is of course not something i am ever going to use, i am not a "i have just made this video, and i just have to post it now" kind of guy.
And even if i was that sick, i would just post the raw video and not bother to edit it, cuz i dont mind to admit i am often a lazy old bastard.

Several in my family don't even have a PC, and cant see why they should have one when they have a smartphone.
I know several people with that attitude. A couple are small business owners and don't even have an email address preferring that people text them. I refuse, just call and leave a voice mail if they don't answer. I continually hear from them that that's inconvenient and they prefer that I would text - I still refuse saying I can't text from my land line. ;)

Back