Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

When I try to play N5 video files in Dashcam Viewer Plus 3.9.2, it sees the front video (A) files and rear video (D) files as part of the same single channel video file set. The front interior (B) and rear interior (C) files are not detected or played.
I find this part interesting as I have a vantrue N4 and I've previously reported to @traveler that DCV only recognizes my A files and doesn't associate the B and C (interior and rear) so it's interesting that your B and C are also ignored though odd that it recognizes the D. Maybe this is some kind of insight that will help solve the bug.

J.

Good point. The problem with Vantrue is that they didn't standardize on video channel naming nomenclature as the as they expanded from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4 channels. So a "C" channel of an N5 is interior, but a "C" channel of an N4 is rear. On an N2, rear is the "B" channel. :rolleyes: A better naming convention which would avoid ambiguity would have been "Front", "Rear", "Interior1", "Interior2", etc. I'll think about a better way handling this in DCV.

Good point. The problem with Vantrue is that they didn't standardize on video channel naming nomenclature as the as they expanded from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4 channels. So a "C" channel of an N5 is interior, but a "C" channel of an N4 is rear. On an N2, rear is the "B" channel. :rolleyes: A better naming convention which would avoid ambiguity would have been "Front", "Rear", "Interior1", "Interior2", etc. I'll think about a better way handling this in DCV.

With Vantrue do they have the gps data located in every file? Is so do you think you could open the files and display the gps information or perhaps prompt the user as to what dashcam they are using so you don't have to try and guess if its a N4 of N5.
It would be ideal if @Vantrue Dash Cam @Jeff_Vantrue consider your suggesting regarding file naming convention going forward.

Vantrue do have their own Dashcam player which works fine just doesn't have the features of your program.

The front channel always has the gps data. Sometimes the 2nd channel does too but it's not guaranteed. That's why I must always select the front channel as one of the 2 channels displayed.

To resolve it, I'm thinking about adding a "2nd channel picker" pulldown menu under the Advanced options. The user would select either "Auto", "R", "I", "B", "C", "D", or "O". (This would cover Viofo, BlackVue, and Vantrues' 3- and 4-channel dashcams). On next load of videos, the selected channel will be chosen as the 2nd channel displayed in Dashcam Viewer. "Auto" would just do the default thing Dashcam Viewer does now.

Actually Jeff_Vantrue did contact me regarding testing of an N4 a couple of weeks ago, but after I responded I haven't heard back.

Update: @Jeff_Vantrue got back to me with an S1 Pro eval unit. Kudos Vantrue.

Last edited:
Hey John, sorry late reply. I didn't see any notice from the forum.

wrt to filenames they are as YYYY_MM_DD_hh_mm_ss_[A|B|C].MP4.

Here is a screenshot of part of the dir listing I just tried and failed (and a screencap of accomp. error). I also tried after upgd to 3.92 and same behavior.

I could arrange to provide you an A/B/C set if needed.
Thanks.

The front channel always has the gps data. Sometimes the 2nd channel does too but it's not guaranteed. That's why I must always select the front channel as one of the 2 channels displayed.

To resolve it, I'm thinking about adding a "2nd channel picker" pulldown menu under the Advanced options. The user would select either "Auto", "R", "I", "B", "C", "D", or "O". (This would cover Viofo, BlackVue, and Vantrues' 3- and 4-channel dashcams). On next load of videos, the selected channel will be chosen as the 2nd channel displayed in Dashcam Viewer. "Auto" would just do the default thing Dashcam Viewer does now.

Actually Jeff_Vantrue did contact me regarding testing of an N4 a couple of weeks ago, but after I responded I haven't heard back.
@traveler couple points I'd like to add:

a) I like the idea of the dropdown to select the second channel but I'd add there will be times I'll want to switch that second channel (say from the rear to the interior eg.) If it requires the entire files list to be reload that might become cumbersome. If possible, in addition to the (let's call it the "global") dropdown, would be good to be able to select an alt channel for just the current playing video. Or possibly some other alt method to play the other channel? (like maybe launch it into my default player, like VLC or smth if that's easy)

b) If this is really just a file naming issue, could I self-implement an interim solution by just renaming the files to a valid schema?

If so, please advise me a valid naming scheme I could try because I have a [free] software* that makes it pretty easy to batch rename files. This would make DCV usable to me immediately (benefit: I could go ahead and buy a licensed version and use it now! ) thereby giving you time to figure out the best way forward.
Other Vantrue (and maybe other brands' users?) could find this helpful too if it works.

* free/donation-ware for private/home use. I have no affiliation, just a happy user. It's called Bulk Rename Utility and can be found here if any wants it: https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

@traveler couple points I'd like to add:

a) I like the idea of the dropdown to select the second channel but I'd add there will be times I'll want to switch that second channel (say from the rear to the interior eg.) If it requires the entire files list to be reload that might become cumbersome. If possible, in addition to the (let's call it the "global") dropdown, would be good to be able to select an alt channel for just the current playing video. Or possibly some other alt method to play the other channel? (like maybe launch it into my default player, like VLC or smth if that's easy)

b) If this is really just a file naming issue, could I self-implement an interim solution by just renaming the files to a valid schema?

If so, please advise me a valid naming scheme I could try because I have a [free] software* that makes it pretty easy to batch rename files. This would make DCV usable to me immediately (benefit: I could go ahead and buy a licensed version and use it now! ) thereby giving you time to figure out the best way forward.
Other Vantrue (and maybe other brands' users?) could find this helpful too if it works.

* free/donation-ware for private/home use. I have no affiliation, just a happy user. It's called Bulk Rename Utility and can be found here if any wants it: https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

a) I like your suggestion although it would be a challenge to implement a simple method. For the time being I'm thinking the "global" option would be better than nothing.
b) Yes! I bulk file-renamer would be a good interim workaround for loading whatever channel you want. Just rename channel "C" to "B" in the filename, for example.

a) I like your suggestion although it would be a challenge to implement a simple method. For the time being I'm thinking the "global" option would be better than nothing.

Definitely the "global" option would be better than nothing!

Maybe something like a button to find/open the folder of whatever A channel is playing so I can quickly get to the alt files and play in whatever local player (vlc, etc.) is an "easy" interim step?

b) Yes! I bulk file-renamer would be a good interim workaround for loading whatever channel you want. Just rename channel "C" to "B" in the filename, for example.

This would be great but the wrinkle is I cannot get a 2nd channel working. ANY 2nd channel.

Just now for example I tried opening this folder (both open folder and open files commands). In both instances only the A channel displayed (though I got no errors). I open two files and DCV shows "1 of 1". See attached.

thx.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 155416.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 155416.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-08-14 155643.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 155643.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 8
Just now for example I tried opening this folder (both open folder and open files commands). In both instances only the A channel displayed (though I got no errors). I open two files and DCV shows "1 of 1". See attached.

thx.
@JAz909, good questions: Actually, this is normal behavior when loading videos from 2-channel dashcams. From your screenshots, Dashcam Viewer is showing channel 1 playing (you can tell by the "1" in the toolbar). If you click the "1" toolbar button, Dashcam Viewer will cycle between displaying video from channel "1", channel "2", PiP "1/2" or PiP "2/1".

When you open two files that are part of a matched pair, Dashcam Viewer considers this 1 video pair not 2 separate videos. That is why DCV shows "1 of 1".

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.3 Released​

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.3 was released today for both Mac and Windows. Below is a list of improvements and bug fixes. Version 3.9.3 is a free upgrade for all Dashcam Viewer users:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for INNOVV K5 with newer firmware that encodes GPS data in a slightly different way. (MP4 format)
New Features:
  • Using the 'p' key shortcut to export an image will no longer bring up the OpenDirectory dialog. Instead, the image will be exported silently to the last export directory specified by the user when clicking the Export Image toolbar button. If no directory has been specified yet, the Desktop will be the default. [Requested by user]
Bug Fixes:
  • Switched historical weather service from DarkSky.net to VisualCrossing.com. DarkSky ended service on March 31, 2023 so Dashcam Viewer’s weather widget had been non-functional since then.
  • [Windows] Fixed bug in which using Fullscreen mode would lead to the user being locked out of the program (the Main Window would be non-responsive to clicks).
  • Extended valid time range from 2010 to 31-Dec-1999 to accommodate GoPros that don't have Date/Time set.
historical_weather_v3.9.3.jpg

Dashcam Viewer and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

...Update: @Jeff_Vantrue got back to me with an S1 Pro eval unit. Kudos Vantrue.
Hi John,

Long time user and fan of DCV.

I too have been evaluating the Vantrue S1-Pro and for the most part DCV Plus Ver 3.9.3 handles the videos well. I did notice that during playback the vehicle tracking position on the map lags behind the video significantly, sometimes by as much as 2 minutes. Are you aware of this?... is it something to do with DCV?... or with my implementation/configuration of the program?

(I realize this camera is not officially supported so it is what it is.)

Thanks,

Dick

Interesting. I'll have to test my eval Vantrue S1 Pro and see if I can repeat it. Could be that the GNSS receiver hadn't achieved a signal lock yet. Sometimes it takes a receiver a couple of minutes after a cold start.

PS - thanks for being a long time user and fan! :)

Interesting. I'll have to test my eval Vantrue S1 Pro and see if I can repeat it. Could be that the GNSS receiver hadn't achieved a signal lock yet. Sometimes it takes a receiver a couple of minutes after a cold start.

I have files I can send if you like.

...I too have been evaluating the Vantrue S1-Pro and for the most part DCV Plus Ver 3.9.3 handles the videos well. I did notice that during playback the vehicle tracking position on the map lags behind the video significantly, sometimes by as much as 2 minutes. Are you aware of this?... is it something to do with DCV?... or with my implementation/configuration of the program?

Just a quick update.

I was out today and the S1-Pro vehicle tracking was perfectly in sync with the video playback, unlike yesterday (and previous trips) when there was a very significant delay. Car had sat about 27 hours between shutdown yesterday and startup today. Just thought I let you know. If there's anything you'd like me to do just let me know.

Just a quick update.

I was out today and the S1-Pro vehicle tracking was perfectly in sync with the video playback, unlike yesterday (and previous trips) when there was a very significant delay. Car had sat about 27 hours between shutdown yesterday and startup today. Just thought I let you know. If there's anything you'd like me to do just let me know.
Thanks, @DT MI. I guess we’ll chalk it up to a quirk for now.

Thanks, @DT MI. I guess we’ll chalk it up to a quirk for now.
Quirk gets quirkier. For the last 2 days the tracking behavior is back to the 1.5 to 2 minute delay. Seems the quirk was the 1 time where it was almost perfect.

Given the S1-Pro I have is (what appears to be) a pre-production unit anything can happen before it goes live.

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.4 Released​

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.4 was released today for both Mac and Windows. Below is a list of new camera supports and bug fixes. Version 3.9.4 is a free upgrade for all Dashcam Viewer users:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for MIO MiVue 955WD 2-channel
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug with Garmin dashcam's in which the displayed timestring in the main window was offset by the video's duration time.
  • Raised max value on Distance graph to 1000 km or miles. Was previously limited to 200 km or miles.
  • Fixed bug in distance reporting of Trip segments.
  • Internal stability improvements.
dcv_3.9.4.jpg

Dashcam Viewer running on Windows showing 2-channel video from MIO MiVue 955WD

Dashcam Viewer and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.4 Released​

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.4 was released today for both Mac and Windows. Below is a list of new camera supports and bug fixes. Version 3.9.4 is a free upgrade for all Dashcam Viewer users:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for MIO MiVue 955WD 2-channel
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug with Garmin dashcam's in which the displayed timestring in the main window was offset by the video's duration time.
  • Raised max value on Distance graph to 1000 km or miles. Was previously limited to 200 km or miles.
  • Fixed bug in distance reporting of Trip segments.
  • Internal stability improvements.
dcv_3.9.4.jpg

Dashcam Viewer running on Windows showing 2-channel video from MIO MiVue 955WD

Vantrue? Specifically Nexus 5
Thanks.

@JAz909, good questions: Actually, this is normal behavior when loading videos from 2-channel dashcams. From your screenshots, Dashcam Viewer is showing channel 1 playing (you can tell by the "1" in the toolbar). If you click the "1" toolbar button, Dashcam Viewer will cycle between displaying video from channel "1", channel "2", PiP "1/2" or PiP "2/1".

When you open two files that are part of a matched pair, Dashcam Viewer considers this 1 video pair not 2 separate videos. That is why DCV shows "1 of 1".
I assume you're talking about the icon highlighted in the screenshot? It's not working that way for me. The "1" is gray and pressing it does nothing.
I've tried with an a/b/c set as they come from the camera and I've tried renaming b -> c and c->b so that the #2 and #3 cameras are flipped. No joy.

Also I'll point out that I can grab a half dozen 'a' files and drop them on the DCV window and only 2 of them will show in the files list (top right corner).

Not sure what else to try but at this point all I can do is view at most 2 videos in succession and only the 'a' camera.

Please advise.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 3
The 2 file limit in the top window normally means you're not running the paid for version

I assume you're talking about the icon highlighted in the screenshot? It's not working that way for me. The "1" is gray and pressing it does nothing.
I've tried with an a/b/c set as they come from the camera and I've tried renaming b -> c and c->b so that the #2 and #3 cameras are flipped. No joy.

Also I'll point out that I can grab a half dozen 'a' files and drop them on the DCV window and only 2 of them will show in the files list (top right corner).

Not sure what else to try but at this point all I can do is view at most 2 videos in succession and only the 'a' camera.

Please advise.
@Kremmen is right about the Free version only being able to load two Front videos (or two F/R pairs of videos) at a time.

If the "1" in the toolbar is grey, that means Dashcam Viewer couldn't find (or didn't recognize) the 2nd channel video. Which dashcam model are you using? Can you send me a file listing from your SD card showing filenames of matched pairs of videos? Sometimes dashcam manufacturers like to put different channel videos in different folders, which makes life a bit more difficult.

@LateralNW Dashcam Viewer does work with Vantrue N5 but only currently supports two of its channels: Front and Interior. GPS data is processed correctly.

John

Back