GitUp Git1 image comparisons with 2016 dashcams

Nigel is right in regards to YouTube it compresses files. My RAW file is perfect and can easy read the oncoming car @ a combined speed between 80-100mph

The Git1 is still by far one of the best (and budget) cameras that work extremely well as a DVR. Here's some new footage from a long trip around the country. I especially liked this twisty part of it :rolleyes:

If you don't mind me saying you need a Polarizing Filter on your camera as you are loosing a lot of detail with the windscreen reflections.
Here is mine with a Hoya 37mm Polarizing filter.

Reactions: Mtz
If you don't mind me saying you need a Polarizing Filter on your camera as you are loosing a lot of detail with the windscreen reflections.

ljw2k how about the night footage with the polarizing filter? :D

If you look on page 1 you should see night time footage.

I don't mind and yes a filter is needed.

Last edited:
I did some tests with a "HighPro" 37mm CPL. The thing is that if i set the CPL to remove the reflection, when the sun / care position changes that setting will not be useful. Is there some other type of polarized filter ?

vlcsnap-2016-05-19-15h52m10s165.jpg vlcsnap-2016-05-19-15h53m11s41.jpg

HighPro" 37mm CPL. may be the issue as I found when I bought my 37mm adapter it came with a cheap Chinese Polarising filter and it was dreadful. I Use a Hoya Pro Polarising filter which gives much better results but expensive.

The thing is that if i set the CPL to remove the reflection, when the sun / care position changes that setting will not be useful. Is there some other type of polarized filter ?
That is not true, it is the angle that the light is reflected off the glass when it is traveling from the dashboard, reflecting off the glass and entering the lens that is the important angle and which polarises the light, and that angle does not change when the sun moves. The angle is a little different for the sides of the image than the centre, so if you get the centre perfect then there will still be a little reflection visible at the sides, but basically the light will always be polarised at exactly 90 degrees.

That is why polarised sunglasses are always polarised vertically and never have a way to change the angle.

That is not true, it is the angle that the light is reflected off the glass when it is traveling from the dashboard, reflecting off the glass and entering the lens that is the important angle and which polarises the light, and that angle does not change when the sun moves. The angle is a little different for the sides of the image than the centre, so if you get the centre perfect then there will still be a little reflection visible at the sides, but basically the light will always be polarised at exactly 90 degrees.

That is why polarised sunglasses are always polarised vertically and never have a way to change the angle.

That makes sense, I was to accuse the CPL but when i test it stationary it really works well, that's why I'm puzzled. o_O

I accuse my CPL ..it was crap picture quality suffered bad. Like anything in Photography use good glass get good results use cheap glass poor results.

That makes sense, I was to accuse the CPL but when i test it stationary it really works well, that's why I'm puzzled. o_O
I think your problem may be that you do not have the camera pointing straight forward. The angles are all very important to how the polariser works, even the angle of the glass is important, on a vertical windscreen a CPL will do nothing, it should be around 45 degrees to get the best removal of reflections. Can you mount the camera in the centre of the window facing straight forward?

I think your problem may be that you do not have the camera pointing straight forward. The angles are all very important to how the polariser works, even the angle of the glass is important, on a vertical windscreen a CPL will do nothing, it should be around 45 degrees to get the best removal of reflections. Can you mount the camera in the centre of the window facing straight forward?

Until now the camera was on the passenger's side and was angled to the driver's side, probably this is the problem. I'll try with it in the middle of the windshield.

HighPro" 37mm CPL. may be the issue as I found when I bought my 37mm adapter it came with a cheap Chinese Polarising filter and it was dreadful. I Use a Hoya Pro Polarising filter which gives much better results but expensive.
How do attach the filter to your Git1 camera... clean fit or do you need some handy work?

I cut a strip of electrical tape and gave it 1 wrap which makes it a nice tight fit.

@Nigel, I have sorted out the CPL / Refection issues. When I was setting the CPL I was always doing it in poor light so the adjustment wasn't good as I was removing the reflection from the car hood not from the windshield. I put a piece of white paper on the dashboard so it will be easily reflected on the windshield and adjusted the CPL to remove that, now it definitely doing it's job :rolleyes:

any hints as to what it will bring? i thought it was pretty awesome when you added the microphone sensitivity feature in the last update - that was my only complaint about this camera. and you fixed it. :D

I have now SOLD my car and left both cameras in ( GIT1 ) I will no doubt be buying a new or a few GIT1's in the near future as I have found nothing comes close to the image quality of this little action cam particular night time footage which impresses me every time I view the footage.

Nice to know you haven't forgot about it since the GIT2 was released and you are still updating the firmware.

Brilliant little product A+++

I have now SOLD my car and left both cameras in ( GIT1 ) I will no doubt be buying a new or a few GIT1's in the near future as I have found nothing comes close to the image quality of this little action cam particular night time footage which impresses me every time I view the footage.

Nice to know you haven't forgot about it since the GIT2 was released and you are still updating the firmware.

Brilliant little product A+++
curious why you'd leave action cameras in a car, even though they do make excellent dashcams. did the buyer essentially buy the cams from you or something?

Back