GitUp Git2- Support, FAQ, Review

Not all USB cables are the same. Some, made for chargers, don't have the data wires inside, so it's cheaper to make. That's probably the issue here.

Thanks for reply. I used cable dedicated to charger. It looks the same so it was the issue. Everything is fine.

Hello again,

What settings do you use achieve footage closest to flat?

From my experience on sunny normal day it would be:

latest FW 1.5
Colors: Normal
Contrast: Low
Gyro: Off
WDR: On
Metering: Average
Sharpness: Medium
EV: 0 - +1/3
ISO: Auto
Shutter: Auto

... but I am still not fully satisfied with the settings. My raw videos are "yellowish" especially on people faces sometimes and i cant eliminate this issue.
Can you share your best settings you use for normal sunny days and late afternoons?

the Flat profile reduces the contrast, so it lifts the shadows and lower the highlights. This lead to a less intense color also.
Hello. No, flat profile means the logarithmic color coding directly from sensor. Because of that the video looks like it have reduced contrast and pale colors (but really it is not created by reducing the contrast). Linear coding means the simple colors coding from 0 to 255, but the log color coding emulates the exposure of cinema film that can archive big dynamic range of light and dark areas. Then you can use the LUT profile to convert the LOG colors to the computers linear color space. There are many lut profiles in web, so you can use flat color video + lut profile to get the colors like from film or another camera. Gopro have the real logarithmic color space in flat profile.
Try to google the log and linear color spaces. It is not the right way to create flat profile from linear color, because the color must be in log color space.

Last edited:
Hello. No, flat profile means the logarithmic color coding directly from sensor. Because of that the video looks like it have reduced contrast and pale colors (but really it is not created by reducing the contrast). Linear coding means the simple colors coding from 0 to 255, but the log color coding emulates the exposure of cinema film that can archive big dynamic range of light and dark areas. Then you can use the LUT profile to convert the LOG colors to the computers linear color space. There are many lut profiles in web, so you can use flat color video + lut profile to get the colors like from film or another camera. Gopro have the real logarithmic color space in flat profile.
Try to google the log and linear color spaces. It is not the right way to create flat profile from linear color, because the color must be in log color space.

Even so... Most of Rec709 LUTs or GoPro specific LUTs work perfectly with Git2 too.

Some words about PHOTO mode. Sensor is great but incamera photo conversion need to be improved.
Here is compare of incamera jpg and photo created from raw (with ACR):
9wab7z5.jpg

Even so... Most of Rec709 LUTs or GoPro specific LUTs work perfectly with Git2 too.
Probably because both GoPro in normal mode and Git2 will be using Rec. 709 colour.

GoPro's flat profile is intended for film makers, if you intend to transfer the video to film then it's good, but for display on a standard sRGB monitor / TV it is only going to loose quality compared to using normal colour and getting the exposure /colour / contrast almost correct in the camera.

Hello. No, flat profile means the logarithmic color coding directly from sensor. Because of that the video looks like it have reduced contrast and pale colors (but really it is not created by reducing the contrast). Linear coding means the simple colors coding from 0 to 255, but the log color coding emulates the exposure of cinema film that can archive big dynamic range of light and dark areas.
I think you need to do some more reading on that. The sensor produces linear values, normal photos and video use log values (sRGB for photos and Rec. 709 for video), raw photos use linear RGB values, and the GoPro flat profile uses an s-log curve to extend the darks and highlights, loosing detail in the midrange as a result.

Some words about PHOTO mode. Sensor is great but incamera photo conversion need to be improved.
Here is compare of incamera jpg and photo created from raw (with ACR):...
Clearly the colour balance is different, but you can already adjust that in camera, I think in general people are happy with the Git2 auto white balance. (To my eyes and using my monitor, the camera seems to have a little too much red and your version has too little red.)

The other obvious difference is the amount of detail in the 100% image, but you are comparing a 30MB file with a 4.5MB file, it is not surprising that there is more detail. It would be nice if there was the equivalent of the high bitrate option for the jpg photos, but that is why you have the raw option.

I think you need to do some more reading on that. The sensor produces linear values, normal photos and video use log values (sRGB for photos and Rec. 709 for video), raw photos use linear RGB values, and the GoPro flat profile uses an s-log curve to extend the darks and highlights, loosing detail in the midrange as a result.
Sorry, but sensor produces 10 or 12 bit data for each channel. Then CPU need to do some log or linear operations to convert it into the 8-bit RGB.
http://www.qvolabs.com/Digital_Images_ColorSpace_Log_vs_Linear.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
If you correct .jpg photo colors, ligth, contrast, you'll probably get an image "like" raw
Contrast low option works better than I expected and when you increase contrast that by software, every appears as it should

GoPro's flat profile is intended for film makers, if you intend to transfer the video to film then it's good, but for display on a standard sRGB monitor / TV it is only going to loose quality compared to using normal colour and getting the exposure /colour / contrast almost correct in the camera.
I have a question about this, why if we are talking about a line, apply LUTs it's going to loose quality on a sRGB monitor? I'm quite interested in this topic.

Thanks for the info! Although I don't think I'll watch videos from a 100$ camera on a sRGB monitor :p

And angain, sorry for my poor English, It's pretty difficult to me to choose the right way to explain me as I should. Technical English I find it hard to write properly.

Last edited:
I have a question about this, why if we are talking about a straight line, apply LUTs it's going to loose quality on a sRGB monitor? I'm quite interested in this topic.
Because the GoPro flat profile and the normal Rec. 709 profile both get stored in a file containing 8 bits per colour (256 different levels). To make room for the extra dark and extra highlight data, the flat colour profile needs to squash the normal range into maybe 6 bits (64 levels) to free off 2 bits for the extra data, this is why it appears to have less contrast when not corrected before viewing. When you put it through a LUT to convert to normal colour you expand those 64 levels of the normal range back into the 8 bit (256 level) value, but you still only have 64 levels instead of the 256 levels you could have had if you had not used the flat profile, the other 192 levels have got lost and because of that you will get stronger noise and stronger colour banding on smooth surfaces. Not sure if the numbers I've used are the ones actually used, but hopefully it shows why you loose information when you use the flat colour profile.
Thanks for the info! Although I don't think I'll watch videos from a 100$ camera on a sRGB monitor :p
What sort of monitor are you going to use?

Thx a lot! I was completely unaware of the fact that the Git works with 6 bits, I assumed that was 8 bit.

I have no space for a regular monitor and a TV (both) so I had to choose and I'm using a 42'' TV.

One more filmed with git2, lost some quality after upload to youtube specially on last part (speed up the velocity 4x)... sorry for the reflections...
The car scenes have the gyro turned on.

Do any of these action cameras have a timer function? It would be fantastic to be able to set the camera up at night to switch on in the morning and start recording. eg. if you wanted to capture a time lapse of the sunrise. Have the camera working for you before you even wake up!
Let's say you prepare the settings as usual and instead of pressing the shutter button to begin you keep your finger on it for 5sec+. This brings up the timer function - you can start recording in options of 1min, 5min, 20min, 1hr, 2hr, 4hr, 8hr.

Possible?

If the camera support start recording on power up ( like a dashcam ) i assume you could have the PSU that power the camera at home plugged into a timer like the ones used for fishtanks.

F85-Free-Shipping-24-hours-font-b-Mains-b-font-font-b-Timer-b-font-Mechanical.jpg

This means it needs to be near a power socket? Not ideal for capturing the sunrise.

Thats true, but i think even if the git2 had some kind of internal timer for it to be awaken by, then its little battery would be too small ( i think )

Offcourse connected to a USB power bank you will be good for overnight standby and time lapse photos for a long time the next day.

Do any of these action cameras have a timer function? It would be fantastic to be able to set the camera up at night to switch on in the morning and start recording. eg. if you wanted to capture a time lapse of the sunrise. Have the camera working for you before you even wake up!
Let's say you prepare the settings as usual and instead of pressing the shutter button to begin you keep your finger on it for 5sec+. This brings up the timer function - you can start recording in options of 1min, 5min, 20min, 1hr, 2hr, 4hr, 8hr.

Possible?
@Mtz have same idea, told to us last year to implement this. Will look at this.

Reactions: Mtz
One more filmed with git2, lost some quality after upload to youtube specially on last part (speed up the velocity 4x)... sorry for the reflections...
The car scenes have the gyro turned on.

Hi. I've seen your video. Congratulations. What settings did you use? you have the latest firmware installed, v.1.5beta?

Back