GS1000

Vadikus said:
P.S. Edit firmware only for your own risk! You can make unworkable firmware, if you make mistaked changes. In this case, you will need .elf version of firmware to restore your dashcam with help DirectUSB.
I tested crc fixer, and it works like you promised, thank you.
But as you said, don't come back crying if you mess up your fw.

Actually, I just assigned the rank of "Application Developer" to Vadikus. Created this for people making apps related to dash cams (Android, iOS, desktop, etc).

DashCamMan said:
Created this for people making apps related to dash cams (Android, iOS, desktop, etc).

on that subject I'd like to see an Android app that could playback the file and offer the map data, would be nice to be able to pull the card out of a cam and put it in a phone or tablet and be able to view in the same style as registrator viewer, I see a few purpose built apps by some of the camera makers but nothing universal as yet, I think there would be a market for something like this

On Android I think is needed a quad core processor to handle all data and an 1080p resolution. Maybe not all people are prepared for new or expensive smartphones and if installing on poor smartphone they will blame the application for not playing the files correctly. Many people don't realize a HD file need a lot of power for playback. What if adding a map?

The playback is offered on Android by cameras Wi-Fi software like BlackVue or Auto Capsule by Cowon but I don't know if showing the maps.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
On Android I think is needed a quad core processor to handle all data and an 1080p resolution. Maybe not all people are prepared for new or expensive smartphones and if installing on poor smartphone they will blame the application for not playing the files correctly. Many people don't realize a HD file need a lot of power for playback. What if adding a map?

The playback is offered on Android by cameras Wi-Fi software like BlackVue or Auto Capsule by Cowon but I don't know if showing the maps.

enjoy,
Mtz
Playback of H.264 codec videos like from the GS1000 does not require a quad or even dual core processor on Android phones. These phones (along with iPhone and others) contain SoC's that have dedicated H.264 decoders that do not use the processing core(s) and are usually part of the GPU. Even the Raspberry Pi with an old generation single core ARM processor at 700MHz can play 1080p H.264 video at 40 Mbit/s (GS1000 only saves at 7 Mbit/s) thanks to the built in decoder hardware.

creedcooking said:
Playback of H.264 codec videos like from the GS1000 does not require a quad or even dual core processor on Android phones. These phones (along with iPhone and others) contain SoC's that have dedicated H.264 decoders that do not use the processing core(s) and are usually part of the GPU. Even the Raspberry Pi with an old generation single core ARM processor at 700MHz can play 1080p H.264 video at 40 Mbit/s (GS1000 only saves at 7 Mbit/s) thanks to the built in decoder hardware.

mine does 15Mbit/s, still don't need quad core processor for playback, that said though I think Mtz was meaning for the functionality I was after of being able to render the map and G-sensor data etc as well as play the video, given smaller screens though it wouldn't be practical to do it all at the same time, being able to switch through the various views, video, map, G-Sensor etc would be enough I think, I'm sure any current model handset would have enough CPU grunt to do this, just need the application now :)

I gave up looking for a dashcam with a "true time lapse" (one photo every preset time - ok, it's in the user's manual for F900LS, but I'm not paying $153 for a dashcam with no GPS). Now I decided to buy "Top pick for a compact GPS enabled camera" - GS1000 Orange Menu.

Where to purchase for lowest price ? That was the easy part; one seller doesn't ship to my country, the other's shipping costs are $89, don't wanna risk with the wrong firmware with the third one, so ShenZhen Saddle Technology Co., Ltd. is the only choice.

Now I have to pick between two GS1000 - SD-GS500: pick No.1 or pick No.2 .

Here's the problem: everything to the last detail, including the ID number, except the title photo and the title itself, seems to be the same. And pick No.1 has 74 orders, while pick No.2 has 6. Please advice: which one to buy and why ? Thanks.

jokiin said:
What do they cost you all up including freight and which country are you in?

Jokiin, can i ask what is the camera models you sell/manufacture and where?
Or did i understand that wrong.

Sabe said:
jokiin said:

Jokiin, can i ask what is the camera models you sell/manufacture and where?

We do a couple of models but the GS1000 is the only one (currently) that we've done a version of suitable for western markets, currently only available in Australia but I'm looking into the feasibility of supplying it in other markets, we obviously manufacture in Shenzhen and ship to Australia but my office is in Shenzhen and I could easily ship out of there, just need to look if it's cost competitive to do so (shipping one of something is a lot different to shipping a thousand of something) and how we would compare to other products, where we would sit in the market etc

Yes, i can imagine that this is very difficult business, especially when buyer looks only the price, not knowing that one gs1000 and other gs1000 is totally different product technically.

Shenzhen saddle is pretty reputable. Your best bet is to go with the one that sold more.

Why ? As their web page says: the price is the same for both, that is US $119.04, Free Shipping to Slovenia Via China Post Air Mail.

javr said:
Why ? As their web page says: the price is the same for both, that is US $119.04, Free Shipping to Slovenia Via China Post Air Mail.

You previously mentioned exorbitant shipping charges and problems getting shipping to your location, I explained previously why I was interested but thanks for clarifying

can i ask what is the camera models you sell/manufacture and where?
We do a couple of models
please tell software engineers to enable "true time lapse" function with all cams you manufacture. That is, one photo every user-preset-time, where the time is from 1 second (or ASAP) to 24 hours. I guess all the hardware is present, someone just needs to program it the right way.

This function is totally useless while driving, because a lot can happen in 1 second, but it gives a dashcam an added value, while your car is parked for a week or a month or so.
Then you can put a dashcam to the living room window for bird- or other wild life watching, see how some construction or a tree or a flower grows, see who's stealing fruit and vegetable from your garden, etc.

Specialized time lapse cam from Brinno sells for 139€ or so, and you can't use it as a dashcam. In a suggested case, you'd have a dashcam, which could be used as a time-lapse, too. Thanks.

javr said:
please tell software engineers to enable "true time lapse" function with all cams you manufacture. That is, one photo every user-preset-time, where the time is from 1 second (or ASAP) to 24 hours. I guess all the hardware is present, someone just needs to program it the right way.

it's probably achievable in most solutions

javr said:
This function is totally useless while driving,

pretty much why it's not something we've looked at, there are still other areas we're looking to improve before we would get to something like this which may or may not be a value add in some consumers eyes

On the topic of software change suggestions...

Do these cameras still have an 8 character filename length limit? How about saving each file with the current time as the file name? Instead of "FILE1231.MOV" it could be "20130327-221050.MOV".

It would make the file name more useful and eliminate the issue of hitting beyond 9999.

creedcooking said:
On the topic of software change suggestions...

Do these cameras still have an 8 character filename length limit? How about saving each file with the current time as the file name? Instead of "FILE1231.MOV" it could be "20130327-221050.MOV".

It would make the file name more useful and eliminate the issue of hitting beyond 9999.

There's a few different ways to do it and not everyone does things the same way, if you're the type of user that wants to archive your recordings it's possible to do a scripted rename process based on file date, I have a customer that created a simple script to do just that

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E GSXXXX 6
D GSXXXX 1
C GSXXXX 5
J GSXXXX 3
D GSXXXX 0
Back