HELP! SG Acting up again!

Yes the 30 minutes or what ever amount of parking guard you want after key off you change in the Shutdown timer menu item, there are several options to choose from in there, ranging from a few minutes to a 24 hours.
And as Jokiin said if you dont want to make use of the parking guard, then after you have turned off your car and the camera have entered parking mode you just press the power button for a "Long" time and that will then completely shut off the camera.
"Long" pressing the power button i assume are something like 3-4-5 seconds, and i assume the camera then chime before it shut down.

As i personally am only going to use 30 minutes of shutdown timer i dont think i will bother with manually powering down the camera when i park at home where i have CCTV on the car, i will just let it do its 30 minutes and then shut down on its own,,,,,,, cuz i will probably forget to manually shut it off anyway.

What's the lowest one can safely go in hotter climate areas? I've been using 12V and never had any issues cranking the engine.

I think if you go under 12 V the wear on the battery will grow exponentially, car batteries are not really made for this kind of deep cycle use.

What is the default setting for the timer and how do I change it? I went in a store today and was gone just over 1/2 hour and it was off when I came out.

Jokiin said the default is 10 minutes. ( you can also verify this yourself by taking a look at the recordings )

To enter the Menu you first stop the camera from recording by pressing the REC button, you them press the menu button to open the menus, you then scroll down thru the menu items by pressing the MIC button.
When you reach shutdown timer you press the button with the triangle to enter that particular menu item, you can now scroll thru the options using the MIC button, and when you have the one you like press the triangle button again to select that setting.
The change are then made and to get out of the menu and recording again you just press the menu button again, the camera should then be back at the preview screen with the live footage in the background, and the REC LED should flash along with the red dot on the LCD screen.

If you one day need a little longer time, say if you go to take in a movie, then you just repeat the above and select a shut down time that you think will be fine, with a movie i guess something like 2 hours will be fine
( if 2 hours are a option in the menu, as i said i dont have the hard wire kit myself so i can only guess what the exact options are in the different menu options )

I have a sneaky feeling the default 10 minutes shut down timer are the lowest setting in there, 30 minutes are probably the #2 lowest setting ( guessing here so you will have to see for yourself )

Jokiin said the default is 10 minutes. ( you can also verify this yourself by taking a look at the recordings )

To enter the Menu you first stop the camera from recording by pressing the REC button, you them press the menu button to open the menus, you then scroll down thru the menu items by pressing the MIC button.
When you reach shutdown timer you press the button with the triangle to enter that particular menu item, you can now scroll thru the options using the MIC button, and when you have the one you like press the triangle button again to select that setting.
The change are then made and to get out of the menu and recording again you just press the menu button again, the camera should then be back at the preview screen with the live footage in the background, and the REC LED should flash along with the red dot on the LCD screen.

If you one day need a little longer time, say if you go to take in a movie, then you just repeat the above and select a shut down time that you think will be fine, with a movie i guess something like 2 hours will be fine
( if 2 hours are a option in the menu, as i said i dont have the hard wire kit myself so i can only guess what the exact options are in the different menu options )

I have a sneaky feeling the default 10 minutes shut down timer are the lowest setting in there, 30 minutes are probably the #2 lowest setting ( guessing here so you will have to see for yourself )
Lowest setting is 5 minutes

okay, that seem like a really short time period, i even think 10 minutes are a short time, but hey :) they could have 25 options if they wanted to, i dont think there is a limit for that.
And i am sure there are just about any setting in there any mad dashcam man could want, and if not the brand are flexible and listen to its customers, so if its not there now it might well be in the future. :cool:

"mad dashcam man"o_O...thanks kamkar. I appreciate the step by step instruction. it's a mistake to assume everybody is as smart as you!

I think if you go under 12 V the wear on the battery will grow exponentially, car batteries are not really made for this kind of deep cycle use.

Will it crank at 11.6 or 11.8? Been almost 3 years already and it seems to be in perfectly good health. I normally don't leave the cameras recording while parked for more than a couple of hours at most when out. Asking because a few times I've had to leave them recording for up to 6 hours and even overnight.

Cranking voltage varies, but if you can hear the starter going more slowly than it does with a fully charged battery in the same circumstances, then you are pushing the battery too far. Car electronics low voltage threshold varies a lot, and the voltage drops lower when you hit the starter. My info is old, but the best I've heard of was 10.5V with most closer to 11V. An old car with breaker points would get enough spark at 7-8V to start if the carb was up to snuff with the mixture.

In my experience with one cam running constantly, I am seeing no excess battery wear with 8 hours parking time that I can discern. I have no BDP nor a in-car voltmeter with enough resolution or accuracy to know what's going on. I keep meaning to check this with my DMM but since I have no problems I always forget to do that until after the engine is running. For advisory purposes, I would never recommend lower than 12V, and feel that 12.4V is probably the best minimum for assured starting in all conditions.

Phil

I've experienced the delayed start with a battery that needed to be replaced in my previous car. Been using cameras while parked only for the past year, no such problems with this one till now.

Was looking for inputs as this is something I'd rather not test.

There is no solid data on this; only recommendations from battery manufacturers which are of course going to be biased excessively toward best battery life. Using my minivan as something close to average with it's now two year old mid-grade battery as my basis, I'd say that nearly any car can run one cam for 4 hours with no problems or noticeable shortening of battery life under average conditions. Most can probably do 6 hours, but 8 hours is pushing it a little. In really cold weather (which we don't get here) 1/2 to 2/3 of this would be a safer bet.

There must be some extra battery wear involved since you are using the battery, so what I feel is most important is what level of wear that each finds acceptable, and that will vary. I do not hesitate to replace a battery at the first sign of trouble, but many will wait as long as possible instead. Base your cam time on how you are with that and what condition your car and battery are in. Lastly, never buy a cheap battery- they are almost always false economy. You are giving the battery extra work to do so you must have a better battery.

Phil

My car uses a 68 AH battery, I think it's good for another year or more. I never play music without the engine on as there are two amplifiers, only external abuse it goes through is running cameras while parked.

Well i was thinking about myself @Captain, i have always been told i am not like other folks kids, been that way all the time :)
Perhaps also why me not propitiating are a good idea.

Well i was thinking about myself @Captain, i have always been told i am not like other folks kids, been that way all the time :)
Perhaps also why me not propitiating are a good idea.
I meant that I think you are smart. And helpful. I appreciate you. And enjoy your input. One day I should come to Denmark and you can show me around. We'll check out all those beautiful blondes I hear Denmark is famous for!

No worries, im no longer part of the workforce, so i have nothing but time.
I do recommend summer time, you can get the biggest outside of US july 4 celebrations over here, we done that since the Kennedy days.

I have been known to flaunt the little Texan i have deep inside, same as my friend.

I can set

The options are up to 24 hours. I'm doing 2 hours for now which should give me time for most parking situations. So while I'm parked, both front and back are recording? What about after dark? Also, it has a parking monitor option, what is that and what do I set it on? Also, I want to replace the temporary 32g card with a 64g card, do I just pull the one out and replace it with the other, or is there a sequence? I know I format the 64g.

Yes front and rear both, same after dark, so in that case useless if you are parked a very dark spot, but with a street light or other light near by you should be good.
The " parking monitor" menu item are where you set how many FPS ( frames Per Second ) you want the camera to record with while parked, personally i think i would use upwards of 5 FPS if that are a option, 1 frame every second i feel are too little, 2 might be okay, 5 i am sure will be fine.
But i have to admit this is some setting i would have to experiment with reviewing my parking recordings to see what is good, as for the size of parking files i dont think it matter much if it is 1-2 FPS or 5, at least not compared to the much larger regular recordings made up of 30 FPS video.
Yes changing memory card you just take it out when the camera are off, put in the new card and turn on, camera should then ask for a format of the new memory card which you them do, and you should be up and running with the new memory card.

So the parking guard recordings when you see those on the computer they will be like time lapse videos, where you cram a lot of time into a shorter video, like a whole day from sunrise to sunset in 5 minutes.
Like this 25 days in 3 minutes = recorded at 1 frame every 9 minutes 36 seconds but played at 30 FPS.
Look cool like this but 1 frame every 9 minutes will of course not work with out cars as a lot can happen in 9 minutes, but for the growth of a seed its fine.
But we need frames / second as we deal with much faster moving people and cars near our car, but viewing the parking footage it will look like that.

I don't understand the last part about viewing on computer what you pick up on parking mode. If it's moving fast how do you see what's going on?

Back