HK3 hard wire kit - terrible voltage regulation

Are you actually reading these posts?

I said...

bold and italics for emphasis added now

To which you replied

and then...

then...

Refer above, where i said a phone... did you miss that part?

You're being so argumentative you have no idea what you're talking about now, making twists and turns everywhere you can to make a point... and then still failing.

This all started with you misquoting me to suggest i said...

It was a possibility and still is possible some of these IC's are fake, faulty or counterfeit.
But let's be clear, i never straight up made such a sure and plain accusation as you imply.
Simply put - this is a thing that did not happen -, that is the basis for everything you've said since.

Also in the same post you said

For the record this is a faulty way of ascertaining number of failed units, and you either know it or are stupid.
The vast majority of users with faults will not post here, they will go back to their point of sale, or use other forms.
This place only captures a small subset. Interestingly though, there are actually quite a few reports of failures anyway that are outside of this thread.
Viofo has also agreed in a DM that a batch fault is likley and has been replacing units no questions asked.
Also the fault found in the HK3 does not stop a lower current device from working (short term) so there are many faulty units that in a particular install appear to work, even though they are feeding 7+v into a camera and probably slowly killing it.

But by your logic everyone with a faulty HK3 has to test is and appear in only this thread to count, and you'll only count 1 per user.
What about my 3 failed units? Count that as one?

You've said enough and every reply you make discredits you more.

The facts remain...
1) There IS and issue
2) We have evidence of it
3) We have some theories as to causes
4) No one is making straight up accusations
5) Viofo is dealing with it in a good and honest way...

But ignore all you like, but you...
1) Seem to have an agenda
2) Misquote and mis represent facts
3) Redirect and obfscucate the discussion when you lose an argument
4) Provide no evidence
5) Contribute nothing that ads to the conversation

I'm not doing this any more, i'm done with your rubbish.
You are ignored from this point on.
Nothing will be achieved by continuing this, feel free to have the last word.. I won't see it.
Very well said! There are so many people on this forum (not all of course) who will say just about anything to make those who speak out about Viofo problems as being nut jobs. It's refreshing to see someone like you who has in-depth knowledge of this topic willing to state the "facts". Thank you!

Very well said! There are so many people on this forum (not all of course) who will say just about anything to make those who speak out about Viofo problems as being nut jobs. It's refreshing to see someone like you who has in-depth knowledge of this topic willing to state the "facts". Thank you!
The whole reason i joined was to to assist v81 with data regarding his VIOFO HK3 kits not working correctly. We are both techs (quite different backgrounds) with the right knowledge and equipment to test such devices thus can provide unbiased through testing (though we both had the same VIOFO products). My tests showed the HK3 unit (I had) was good and that v81 did have an issue with "noise" in his units. Yes the information posted is a little bit technical but just normal std testing procedures. The reason I posted as V81 had asked about this issue in another forum and I replied but best we kept the conversation in the dash cam talk forum as this was the place for such discussions as it reaches out to others around the world.

v81 and I both confirmed that there was an issue with his HK3 units which VIOFO sorted. All is now good (edit: with our respective unitts) . But, its good to be able to technically compare units with users around the world, unbiased.

Last edited:
Reactions: v81
The whole reason i joined was to to assist v81 with data regarding his VIOFO HK3 kits not working correctly. We are both techs (quite different backgrounds) with the right knowledge and equipment to test such devices thus can provide unbiased through testing (though we both had the same VIOFO products). My tests showed the HK3 unit (I had) was good and that v81 did have an issue with "noise" in his units. Yes the information posted is a little bit technical but just normal std testing procedures. The reason I posted as V81 had asked about this issue in another forum and I replied but best we kept the conversation in the dash cam talk forum as this was the place for such discussions as it reaches out to others around the world.

v81 and I both confirmed that there was an issue with his HK3 units which VIOFO sorted. All is now good. But, its good to be able to technically compare units with users around the world, unbiased.

Thanks for your explanation.

The fact that there are still people facing the same problem shows that Viofo still has issues with the HK3 kits. What makes things worse is there are some people who claim guys like V81 are just making things up. - - It's quite clear that he is not. And it's clear that all is not good now. - Once the faulty hk3 kits are replaced, things will be much better...

Have the newer HK3 kits shown to be any better? I have an HK3 kit that I bought in January of 2022 and it just started to randomly stop working until I unplug and plug back in the fuse taps. Viofo is sending me a new kit and hopefully it is better then the old one.

I wish i could get my hands on one of these "bad HK3s" and do a technical, electronic investigation (i'm an ex fast jet Avionics tech with all the equipment and half the brains needed (I do hi tech systems repairs to other Losmandy Astro computers))!

As previously stated, mine worked fine compared to user V81, who had terrible voltage regulation issues (we compared oscilloscope wave form outputs and voltages). But i'd love to get hold of on of these bad units to see the issue and see if its a design, mfgr'ing or component issue.

Problem is...I'm all the way downunder in Australia ....unless Viofo will send me one......or if someone local'ish with issues...happy to pay for it to be sent to me (and returned or i'd buy it for testing)? Happy to do a 3rd party report! Apart from

FWIW
Bren

I wish i could get my hands on one of these "bad HK3s" and do a technical, electronic investigation (i'm an ex fast jet Avionics tech with all the equipment and half the brains needed (I do hi tech systems repairs to other Losmandy Astro computers))!

As previously stated, mine worked fine compared to user V81, who had terrible voltage regulation issues (we compared oscilloscope wave form outputs and voltages). But i'd love to get hold of on of these bad units to see the issue and see if its a design, mfgr'ing or component issue.

Problem is...I'm all the way downunder in Australia ....unless Viofo will send me one......or if someone local'ish with issues...happy to pay for it to be sent to me (and returned or i'd buy it for testing)? Happy to do a 3rd party report! Apart from

FWIW
Bren
I can send you my broken kit once I get the new one installed if it’s not too much for shipping.

Many thanks allstar...its a long way to downunder...lets see if somone local has a bung one but ...i suspect not...

I'll pay for shipping etc

Bren

Many thanks allstar...its a long way to downunder...lets see if somone local has a bung one but ...i suspect not...

I'll pay for shipping etc

Bren
Sounds good. Who knows when my new kit will arrive and with the weather, I’m not really sure when I will be able to get the new on installed.

I wish i could get my hands on one of these "bad HK3s"
Will a bad HK2 do ?

Seems to be the same unit bar for USB Type C

Still have the 3 'duds' here... always meant to investigate further, just got tied up doing other things.

edit..
Getting my HK's mixed up.. i think wha ti have are HK3s

Last edited:
Will a bad HK2 do ?

Seems to be the same unit bar for USB Type C

Still have the 3 'duds' here... always meant to investigate further, just got tied up doing other things.
Related to testing a bad kit. Is there an easy way that I could test my bad kit, and the new kit once I receive it to determine if it will also fail? I have a volt meter but am not sure if I would need anything else.

allstar the issue appears to be the small buck converter which converts 12V etc to 5V thru a "Switching regulator". These are used due to efficiency thus lower heat compared to a linear voltage regulator.

In v81s original post he is showing typical switching problems that this HK3 is doing....mine was fine compared but you really need an oscilloscope to see these. However you can open the unit connect the red/gnd to 12V pwr and Gnd, and touch the yell accessory to 12V as required to power on the unit. If you measure the opened unit at Gnd/Acc/Out pins for 5V. You will need to apply a load to the HK3 red or +ve out (to gnd)......lets say .5A so 5V/.5A = 10 ohms or so....that at least a 5W load (P=EI = 5 x .5 = 5W)...which will get very hot (so best to use a 10Watt or 20 watt resistor).

Thats why we use electronic loads as we can vary load parameters easily without hot burning resistors.

With red and gnd connected the accessory out should be 5V
with the red/yel and gnd connected the +out should be 5V as well. Of course removing the yel......the camera should go into shutdown after the time delay. If it fails operating just doing simple connections then the HK3 is bad.

v81....do you want to part with a HK3 to me?....for testing, your a lot closer...i'll pay Thing is atm...there are new HK units out now and alternates...so its really an issue thats disappearing slowly

Related to testing a bad kit. Is there an easy way that I could test my bad kit, and the new kit once I receive it to determine if it will also fail? I have a volt meter but am not sure if I would need anything else.
Hi Ty,

The issues don't show well on an ordinary multimeter.

Speaking of the specific issue I've encountered the regulation under light load generally works ok, but then fails under a heavier load.
You could try measuring the output with your multimeter to see if you're getting that higher voltage.
A sensible output would be 5v -0% / +10%

As said above testing under load is preferred...
If you're electronically inclined you could skip the resistors and got for a DC dummy load...
This is a great combo and will test most things USB...

Dummy load

Voltage / current meter

Having a handful of 10 ohm 10W resistors in a draw is also handy.
Using ohms law you can configure the resistors into different configurations to get different loads.
1 x 10 ohms across 5v will be a 500mA load (2.5 watts power)
2 x 10 ohms in parallel across 5v will be 1A load (5 watts power)
Recommend using a resistor of double the power you need to dissipate, or as @wasyoingonce2 says above 4x is even better.
These will burn fingers if left powered long enough, also watch your work surface.

The dummy load is good as you can simply dial in how much current you want to burn and it controls it's own fan.
Also doesn't burn the desk, but will still get warm.

Ultimately, the best tool is an oscilloscope, but a decent starter unit is in the USD $400 ballpark.
The Rigol DS1054Z is still a worthy contender.

v81....do you want to part with a HK3 to me?
Have we already communicated via email?
If so feel free to email me again else PM me to exchange details.

Thank you for the explanation! My replacement kit is on the way and hopefully it is a different batch then my current kit which I bought in January 2022. Not looking forward to rewiring everything in the cold lol. Hoping the new kit will work properly.

Last edited:
Good thing I upgraded my camera only now and just bought the HK3 kit. Hopefully won't face issues either. I will report if I do.

Last edited:
Seems like the newer kits are working much better.
I contacted Viofo in November to ask if it was worth buying one locally here in the Uk for my new A139 pro and they advised me to purchase the newer enhanced version directly from their website. I did exactly that costing very little and it arrived within 14 days tax free and I’ve had zero issues with it.

User V81 sent me some HK3's that he had trialed and deemed unusable due to "high PP switching noise known as poor voltage regulation". He forward them (Qty 2) to me to test and see if i can determine if its a design issue or part issue.

This is a link to my test of unit I'll call HK3 #1. I can confirm the same outcomes as V81 the unit is badly noisy and more than likely UN-useable. That said it ran my A129 front camera ok but the measured amount of switching noise or has was at time 1.44VPP on a 5V DC output (interesting that mostly this peak noise was around 2ms but indeed as across many frequencies best viewed over 500ms). This could cause Camera issues. My HK3 had less than half this noise value indeed my noise avg was 150mVPP noise.

Now I'm not saying all HK3s are bad indeed there are so many in use most and more than usable, indeed i have one working perfectly. It was good to be able to compare my unit tests against this HK3#1.

Now ill also state these are older units now Viofo has changed the design more than once. But interestingly this unit "HK3#1" is exactly the same cct design as my good working unit. There is a lot to read and methodology of testing. Make up your own mind suffice to say this HK3 #1 outputs too much switching noise which could/will interfere with the camera. I have another HK3 to test and then i'll try see if i can fix these noise issues. It could be part, placement or design. This is yet to be determined.

I'm only doing this as i have read some users complaining about their HK3 units. Here is the link to my test on my Google drive. I couldn't seem to attach it to the post.

Remember the newer HK3s are not the same as these older units Hope this link works for users. Its a long read though

Back