Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

Hi,

Are there any mounts available for mobius C2 which are good for mounting on rear side windows?

I have a pair of windscreen mounts but I can't seem to get the right angles.

Also if the mobius is pointing out the window the cable is going to be near someone's face so I was thinking of using the lens extender cables - maybe mount the main unit somewhere on the trim and then somehow have the lens mounted to the windscreen?

Also can't seem to find any lens mounts... Do I just need to DIY something?

Thanks

Can you fix above the window like this?

mobius-side-mount-jpg.37954

or this?

mobius_rear_mount-jpg.40627

Both images posted by @Dashmellow

Last edited:
U wanted a easy detach mount, so i put some magnets on the mobius camera, and then took a piece of steel and folded it over so it could slide in over the headliner.
And presto i had a quick detach camera.

U wanted a easy detach mount, so i put some magnets on the mobius camera, and then took a piece of steel and folded it over so it could slide in over the headliner.
And presto i had a quick detach camera.

@joe384 DO NOT mount to the headliner or window trim if you have side curtain airbags! The camera and anything you add on will become a high speed projectile when the airbags go off.

Hmm.. That is one thing I was worried about...I do have curtain airbags. My window trim is not as deep as above (it is recessed a bit).

This is why I thought it may be a good idea to use the lens extender and have the main unit out of the way.

I forgot my OTG cable yesterday but today I will go to the car at lunch and try some different positions and see if I can get some more ideas.

I've also noticed there is the dv526 which might be a good option for side cameras

Hmm noticed TonyM was using b1w for a while this might be a neater option for me (mounted on the window)

Would it solve the airbag problem? (I assume the airbag drops down where the plastic and headliner meet)

I have a top ridge on the plastic surrounding my windows but it has a cover running along it.

IMG_20190930_180404154.jpgIMG_20191001_125350111.jpg

Hmm.. More musings - My brother has a unused b1w, maybe I should borrow that and do a test with the fov

Indeed ( curtain airbags )
But don't worry me as mine was over the rear doors, and i have people on the back seat about 2 hours every year.
My new side cameras ( the K2S dual remote system ) are mounted on the fixed glass on the most rear part of the rear doors, unsure if airbag are all the way back there, if it is tough luck that's my new spot for side cameras.

Hmm noticed TonyM was using b1w for a while this might be a neater option for me (mounted on the window)

Would it solve the airbag problem? (I assume the airbag drops down where the plastic and headliner meet)

I have a top ridge on the plastic surrounding my windows but it has a cover running along it.

View attachment 48966View attachment 48967
Have you confirmed whether you have airbags over that fixed rear side window?
I'm fairly sure I don't have them on mine (an estate) since they would only protect the contents of the boot!

Hmm.. More musings - My brother has a unused b1w, maybe I should borrow that and do a test with the fov
I started with a pair of B1W. Then moved on to the A129 for better image quality, and low light performance. I'm hoping to fit the new 185deg lens into my side-facing A129 tonight, after some DIY to operate on the lens housing.

Have you confirmed whether you have airbags over that fixed rear side window?
I'm fairly sure I don't have them on mine (an estate) since they would only protect the contents of the boot!

Yeah you probably don't have them on the estate.
I am pretty certain I have curtain airbags for rear passengers, it is a 3 door fiesta. NCAP videos show curtain airbags in the rear deploying in a side impact.
It also says "Airbag" etched in the hooks on the side in the rear.
In that case I think the safest is for me is a B1W attached to the window or a mobius in a custom lens housing.
I am thinking I will probably order a couple of B1w's and then use the pair of mobius in the meantime.

On a side note, I have had a 20,000mAh battery pack powering one mobius. After 3 days x 8 hours each day it is down to around 50% charge.
I will probably get a couple of battery packs and use your method where I swap the batteries.

I successfully installed the 185deg super wide angle lens in an A129. The IMX291 in the A129 is larger than the sensor in the Mobius 1, (1/2.8" vs 1/3") however I did not get the wider view I was hoping for. Instead, the A129 has significant vignetting in the corners, where there was only very slight vignetting on the M1. In addition, the fixed-depth mount of the A129 means I cannot get the lens as close to the side window as I could with the M1.

A129
y4mOICza6PubALqPiarToLaECvbawptflaN_Wa9MIg4dSk_d2hyvWK2ZEsIawMdB8em_E31LidBZLaN4NFfFpG4TzQ19r5TPYBV2X6YsnIqr4T6E4BzMbaIfr9KyoE3ulCq7QcOxrY4XnFCMXyrUygS2uCgmbT7jSS38G8wWp9rfWlsvGOnLzAO2x_2AmVLgeJfef29H-ykg5AI1yoi4irT2g

Mobius 1
y4mVUZR1ds9XDyG3bZ3UCK0POqqRxJMhKjau2ZNy9wx_-_zqLXJLsN7bg_kupoAg8cBlOJB9zxLEhylu3c4YxI9xhrlR3HcZU18LMuSPcqsGQzjwAXcbJMWWGlrdbYrzBz5McPLSqwb7CcQ8kyB4Bd3Xhzt9CSlBULBEscPRewX-M42pC0LYmeqJMiW0xNwSX9-64jjQs0n9TcSV62O0YQomA

In addition to the obvious benefit of a recording a wide-angle view when parked, I appreciate the ability to record to the side and in my driver's-side blind-spot when driving. I get a great view on roundabouts!

Here you can see the driver who followed me down the on-slip then passed as I was about to join the dual carriageway.

I have not yet decided whether I will keep this lens in the A129, or go back to using it in a Mobius 1. The A129 has the added benefit of IMX291 for low light recording, plus low bitrate for recording when parked. Perhaps I can make a slim mount for the A129?

Last edited:
I ordered a pair of B1Ws last week, hopefully they will come next week. As long as I can get 360 coverage that will be good :)

I have also got some "AngelWax H2GO" to apply to the side windows. Apparently it is quite a good rain repellent and should help keep the side windows clear when it rains. If it's really cold and the windows ice up or end up with snow I don't think anything can be done but the rain repellent might help a bit.

I am still running the pair of mobius cameras, I have turned on the mics on both, it increases the file size quite a bit but I think it's useful to have some audio redundancy in case the front A129 stops recording.

Indeed ( curtain airbags )
But don't worry me as mine was over the rear doors, and i have people on the back seat about 2 hours every year.
My new side cameras ( the K2S dual remote system ) are mounted on the fixed glass on the most rear part of the rear doors, unsure if airbag are all the way back there, if it is tough luck that's my new spot for side cameras.

I just realised you mentioned the K2S cameras are mounted on the glass, so this may be another discret option for me. Although all the wires are daunting, might have to take half the car apart! :rolleyes:

The form-factor of the B1W makes them almost ideal for side cams in most cars, and the reasonable price puts the upgrade to 4-sided coverage within reach of most people.

Yes, installing the K2S can be a daunting task, but given it's benefits it's worth the extra work. And it comes with really long cables so it can work where almost no other cam can.

Phil

I have also got some "AngelWax H2GO" to apply to the side windows. Apparently it is quite a good rain repellent and should help keep the side windows clear when it rains. If it's really cold and the windows ice up or end up with snow I don't think anything can be done but the rain repellent might help a bit.
On days when the car is covered in frost or dew, I get into the habit of clearing my side windows before setting off so the cameras have a clear view. I've not tried a rain repellent yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

On days when the car is covered in frost or dew, I get into the habit of clearing my side windows before setting off so the cameras have a clear view. I've not tried a rain repellent yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

Oh yes I always do this, I was thinking more of when it's been parked all day in parking mode, the other evening the windscreen was fogged up, as the weather gets colder I'll probably end up coming back to the car with a layer of snow or frost

Oh yes I always do this, I was thinking more of when it's been parked all day in parking mode, the other evening the windscreen was fogged up, as the weather gets colder I'll probably end up coming back to the car with a layer of snow or frost
If left all day in parking mode, dashcams sometimes generate just enough heat to keep the screen clear in the region of the camera!

I've done quite a bit of experimenting with side window rain treatments on my pick-up truck during my five plus years of having side cameras installed. I've even used car polish (a polymer type) a couple of times after accidentally getting some on the glass and discovering that it made for a perfectly clear, highly water repellent window treatment similar in performance to a rain repellent like RainX.

At this point, I avoid rain repellents on the side windows. On the front windshield they work very well because the wind against the glass at driving speeds quickly pushes the beading water droplets away. You can literally watch the process as you drive. On the side windows the air moving at speed seems to work quite differently. More often than not, after initially thinking this scheme was working well I would begin to notice a lot of water droplets just sitting on the glass making things perhaps even worse than without the treatment, especially when parked.

Others can go ahead and try rain a repellent on the side glass and see what happens. Perhaps the aerodynamics of your car may be different than my pick-up truck and you'll end up with different results. Then again, maybe you'll eventually abandon the idea like I did and go back to just keeping the untreated side windows clean which I'm now convinced is the best approach.

Last edited:
Back