Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

Very nice @TonyM

When parked, are you just using the SG9663DR in normal recording mode? I believe the SG9663DR has a time-lapse, I assume it doesn't do low bit-rate?
The SG9663DR can record low bitrate in parking mode, which would be my preference. However parking mode is only available if the camera is hardwired. For now, I am using a 12v-to-USB adapter when driving and a powerbank when parked.

For my side camera setup I bought 2 A139 around the start of the year with the plan of using the main units front and rear and the rear cameras for the sides.

It looks like your setup would even better (I am not sure how well the main A139 unit will perform on the rear window and it's also a bit tricky to get the power cable neatly to the rear window)

For my side camera setup I bought 2 A139 around the start of the year with the plan of using the main units front and rear and the rear cameras for the sides.

It looks like your setup would even better (I am not sure how well the main A139 unit will perform on the rear window and it's also a bit tricky to get the power cable neatly to the rear window)
The DR has quite a few cables that need to be routed around the car. Thankfully I can hide most of them.

You could run a 2ch A139 front & rear, then have the second A139 in 3ch mode with a remote cameras on each side and hide the main camera body. Easier to route the cables, but you lose the capability of a main camera.

IIRC the A139 comes with one short cable, one long cable, and one 1m cable so many possibilities here. And Viofo has extra cables if you need them. Cams pointed directly to the sides with front and rear cams may leave uncovered areas on the quarters- that's what happens with my very long van. With the A139's you could mount a remote interior cam unit at the rear facing forward, and one at the front facing rearward which would probably give a 360 degree view even up close, or nearly that. These last 2 cams might have some view blocked by seats or heads but would be far better than most of what many of us get with our side-view systems. You'd need to turn the IR off but they'll still do OK like that.

Phil

The DR has quite a few cables that need to be routed around the car. Thankfully I can hide most of them.

You could run a 2ch A139 front & rear, then have the second A139 in 3ch mode with a remote cameras on each side and hide the main camera body. Easier to route the cables, but you lose the capability of a main camera.

I haven't had any time to work on the car at all but started thinking about this again.

The rear camera + cable is not too expensive so what you suggest is good idea. Only problem is the 2nd main unit gets wasted, I am not sure if you can turn the video off for the main camera to save sd card space. Also need somewhere to mount it, but I guess if the camera is not being used it can be mounted right up the top of the windscreen out of the way.

Would be nice if a zoom lens could be fitted to the main unit! :D

Guess this is impossible due to the design.

Front : A139 Pro
Rear : A139 'interior' camera, with 6mm lens
Driver's Side : A139 main camera
Passenger Side : A139 'rear' camera

Example images from a superstore car park:
A139P_1.jpg
A139_1.jpg

Last edited:
Just realised it's almost been a year since last posted and haven't really done anything more :ROFLMAO:

Front : A139 Pro
Rear : A139 'interior' camera, with 6mm lens
Driver's Side : A139 main camera
Passenger Side : A139 'rear' camera

Example images from a superstore car park:
View attachment 63975
View attachment 63974
Nice setup!

Hmm just curious, but is there a reason why you chose to use the A139 main unit on the side vs on the rear?

Nice setup!

Hmm just curious, but is there a reason why you chose to use the A139 main unit on the side vs on the rear?
Easier to fit the 6mm lens on a remote camera than the main unit
Remote cam is more discreet on the tailgate (smaller, no lights)
Just one thin coax cable to run to the tailgate, rather than power & 2x coax

Reactions: RLS
Easier to fit the 6mm lens on a remote camera than the main unit
Remote cam is more discreet on the tailgate (smaller, no lights)
Just one thin coax cable to run to the tailgate, rather than power & 2x coax
Of course, the downside to this installation is that I have the 1080p IMX291 camera on the rear, rather than the 1440p IMX335 with optional HDR.

I want to attempt to install a telephoto lens in the A139 main camera body to see how that compares.

Of course, the downside to this installation is that I have the 1080p IMX291 camera on the rear, rather than the 1440p IMX335 with optional HDR.

I want to attempt to install a telephoto lens in the A139 main camera body to see how that compares.

If a telephoto lens can be installed onto the main unit, this would be great for me, as I could have 2 A139s on the front windscreen (one normal lens, one telephoto) then I would have 4 channels for additional cameras (left,right,rear and maybe rear telephoto)

I wouldn't mind having an A139 main unit on the rear tailgate but I would have the same problem in that I'd have to run 2 coax and one power to the tailgate.

Just an idea, why not have the viofo MT1 or blueskysea B1M mounted under the side view mirrors?

I would not like the cameras on the outside, it would also be a bit elaborate to route the cable, which rule out most people that do not have a strong DIY genome, and a respectable tool box.
For instance in my family ( my sister - her 3 kids where at least 2 of them are very adult ) well none of them have a electric drill, so when pictures / lamos have to be put up ASO, Uncle Brian are on speed dial.
After that is done, well no one call uncle Brian unless they need more help or a strong shoulder to cry on.

Really my family,,,, a funny bunch.
My sister got in a situation ( argument ) with my mothers little sister, as a result of that none of my mothers still living siblings visit her or even call her,,,,,,, it is quite embarrassing for me even if i am no family guy myself, at least i do not hate on anyone and i will be there is someone need help, even if its people i have not seen in decades.
Mind you before the argument when my mother was living near to many of her siblings, well she got plenty og visits, and requests for her paying god know what from mopeds and glasses to caravans.

Last edited:
Bump.

Whats the general consensus on best side view options as of 2023? Specifically- I'm wondering about an affordable 2 channel setup with no 'main' cam - just two smaller rear-type cams.

Also whats considered the best placement locations?

I'm going to be running 2 a139 3 channel units. So I'll have 6 cams. Anyone have any ideas as to the best configuration for all of them? My goal is Front, back, sides, Telephoto.

I'm going to be running 2 a139 3 channel units. So I'll have 6 cams. Anyone have any ideas as to the best configuration for all of them? My goal is Front, back, sides, Telephoto.
Both main units in the front, one modified with a telephoto lens.
Then put 2 side cameras, one rear and one interior.
This should be the best solution if you have the space on the windshield and if you can modify the main unit with the telephoto lens.

Both main units in the front, one modified with a telephoto lens.
Then put 2 side cameras, one rear and one interior.
This should be the best solution if you have the space on the windshield and if you can modify the main unit with the telephoto lens.
Thanks. I had wanted to have both main units up front but I wasn’t sure if the main unit lens could be modified. Have you seen any posts about it? Should it be the same as modifying the other ones? And what about ideas for fitting it on the windshield assuming it’s too long to aim properly?

Thanks. I had wanted to have both main units up front but I wasn’t sure if the main unit lens could be modified. Have you seen any posts about it? Should it be the same as modifying the other ones? And what about ideas for fitting it on the windshield assuming it’s too long to aim properly?
There have been some modifications made to the main camera but no telephoto lens to my knowledge.
Your best option would be this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a139-pro-telephoto-remote-camera.47892/
Here is a thread where someone removed the IR filter from the main camera: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-focus-issues-refocusing-ir-enabling.48502/

The mounting could be solved by a simple wedge put between the camera and the windshield. This would give enough space to fit the lens.

Back