JooVuu X Camera

As people are having problems with the current Mobius FRP lens housing where the older metal one did not give problems, I think the best course is clear. At the price level you envision, you don't need basic quality problems like that.

Although the switch to the FRP module for the Mobius lenses has been a disaster, it was clearly not the result of trying to save money on manufacturing costs. I believe it was genuine but failed attempt at offering a unique new design that weighed less than the metal lens modules in order to appeal to the demands of the RC market where a lighter weight camera is more desirable and where heat issues are less of an issue.

Before jumping and changing hardware, joovuu should test samples with current design and see if heat related issue is there or not.
It's hard to change things depending upon how far in manufacturing process it is already.

Although the switch to the FRP module for the Mobius lenses has been a disaster, it was clearly not the result of trying to save money on manufacturing costs. I believe it was genuine but failed attempt at offering a unique new design that weighed less than the metal lens modules in order to appeal to the demands of the RC market where a lighter weight camera is more desirable and where heat issues are less of an issue.

I wasn't bashing' Mobius or implying cheapness as their motive, only pointing out that if they have a problem with that, then anyone who follows suit with a very similar design is very likely to encounter that same problem. With the Mobius being a action/dash cam and the JooVuu being a dash/action cam, a bit of weight is less of an issue here. We're looking at a premium product so customers will pay a little more but they will expect premium performance regardless. As JooVuu has already said "get the foundation right". If it's too far along, I agree with Sunny; at least test for this before you release a mistake on the market.

Oh yeah......... gotta love bashing stuff.

The fact is that every ones entitled to an opinion.

Fact is, I am about to buy a Mobius today- it wouldn't make sense for me to bash them would it? They have an excellent history of resolving any problems so if the one I get has a problem, I'm sure it won't be like that for long. That's a large part of why I'm buying it!

I didn't think you were necessarily bashing the Mobius but your comment, "At the price level you envision, you don't need basic quality problems like that." seemed to imply a price factor for the switch to the Mobius FRP module and I was offering my thoughts on why I think the switch had nothing to do with cost. The fact is that Mobius has made it a point to seek out and install very high quality lenses in their camera and it has been one of the reasons for their success.

Hi everyone,
As @Sunny stated we will test different modules to see what is the best. Obviously the best would be to have a Nikon/Canon kind of lens, however, we cant :( but what we can do is test the available lenses and do a cost/benefit (is it worth it) analysis.

The beta testing will help us with this massively as well so we'll add this to our list of things that will need to be tested.

Kind regards,

Dan

Hi everyone,
App is looking good, camera is looking better. There's still time to sign up for the beta program by going to www.x.joovuu.com - we will be announcing the beta testers on June 21st. We will be closing beta sign-ups on 20th June 23:59GMT. So still lots of time to sign up.

Any questions as usual just ask - we're at the stage where there's not masses amount of information we can share, but the closer to the beta stage we get, the more information we can release.

Kind regards,

Dan

I hope the X camera will be so good it will be nicknamed the seX camera :)

(No offence intended, at all!)
Lets say I stood up from the trenches and having negative opinion about design, despite good money paid for? :o

Somehow plastiky looking, over-familiar appearance, don't indicate to be such high quality product as ground breaker, never mind functionally it be way superior to the "Mo...", C1, Dimika etc Cameras.

Some metal or aluminium chassis would add more value to the user, than features/components quality per $$$ spent. (if it makes sense).
Also, earlier mentioned simple/robust/standard carrying case, would be greatly appreciated by all byers and has been failed to exploit feature by the all other manufacturers yet!

Hence, with time, it will come to the product of "2'nd generation", when I'll place my order! ;P

Whatever the "X" means, seX is eXcellent as far as I'm concerned :D

I would love to beta-test, but there are so many others here far more qualified than me that I could add nothing and would detract by one camera a thorough beta-test. My plan is to be there for the first released production run. Money is already set aside for this and I'm happy to wait until you are satisfied that it's ready to be released :)

Phil

Whatever the "X" means, seX is eXcellent as far as I'm concerned :D

I would love to beta-test, but there are so many others here far more qualified than me that I could add nothing and would detract by one camera a thorough beta-test. My plan is to be there for the first released production run. Money is already set aside for this and I'm happy to wait until you are satisfied that it's ready to be released :)

Phil

If you were to beta-test the "X" we'd need a note from your parents first before allowing you to handle the camera. :p

Last edited:
Maybe its just me getting exited, i am a little rusty on that matter :D and thats me telling it softly,,,,, really soft.

I have to be carefull around drafts to not get too exited, especially during summer when i wear my boxer short ;) a small breeze and i go weeeeeee :cool:

I hope the X camera will be so good it will be nicknamed the seX camera :)
Remember, this is a traffic camera, not a bedroom camera.
But if you don't, please share a clip:p

Not to beat on a dead horse regarding the metal lens holder, but a friend of mine worked for a business that made FRP products. They had a 2-level warehouse, and it was not air conditioned. The second floor was where they cut the woven fiberglass sheets. They had a wooden cutting table, with a sheet of 1/4" plastic affixed to the top.

In the summer, the 2nd floor would get hot, due to the lack of air conditioning. The plastic would expand more than the wooden table, and would become "wavy"-- it was screwed to the table in a few places, and in-between those places, it would bow up off the table several inches, making it quite difficult to make accurate cuts in the fiberglass sheets.

Everything expands a little when it gets warmer, but at different rates. Metals don't expand very much, but plastics expand considerably.

A camera lens assembly has several (glass or plastic) lenses contained within it. The distance between each lens is critical to achieve a focused image. If the plastic housing from the sensor to the lenses expands by a few percent, the focus will become unacceptable, and you end up with a situation where the camera's focus might be good when the car is cool, but atrocious after it's been parked outside in the sun for an hour. And it might also go out of focus in the winter (in colder climates), as the lenses get too close to the sensor.

My strongest recommendation is for a metal lens housing. I don't know if the base has to be metal or not, but certainly, the tube from the lenses to the sensor should be metal.

Hi everyone,
First of all, X cam....whatever you decide to do with the camera is your choice....please just don't upload the videos here especially for 'accident videos' ;)

Secondly, we will have about 8 open spots to testers. We're going to try and push this number to 10 so there's plenty of chance to get involved.

Our app will not be finished for about 3 days after the cameras are in the hands of the beta testers, however, we're going to try and get this sped up so it should be fine.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi everyone,
Just one last proper update:
The base of the lens module and the lens tube will be both metal; we will also include a little camera protector case thing as well.

I'm going to try and refrain from updates now (maybe the odd one to answer questions etc), as I would like the beta testers to be honest with you guys and give you the information.

We're filling up nicely on the beta program but still plenty of time to sign up at www.x.joovuu.com

I'll also try and get the available bundles up on the website this week. However, there will be no prices or ETA on these bundles, more just to show you guys what will be available.

If you have any requests for bundles please let us know. All bundles will include a mount, charging cable, data cable, the actual camera, and a thank you note from JooVuu.

Kind regards,

Dan

obviously late to even suggest that, but 4g (lte) modules aren't that expensive, just (clueless here myself) size and main board compatibility, apart from physical fit...
just an idea! :ducks behind sofa:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33052578

Back