Mobius footage - close calls and accidents. Post your videos.

After reading Bob's post about the camera coming out of the cradle, my own inquiry to Isoprop about the crash worthiness of the Mobius (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/tape-it-to-be-safe-or-not.4871/) and the ideas posted here. I was thinking of a way to help that would be invisible, unlike a clip or strap.

I am wondering if a simple solution would be a spot of glue/rubber cement to each lug on the top front of the cradle.
This way on the rare occasion that you did have to remove it, you could just slice the joint. This way the outward appearance of the camera would be unchanged.

I still like the tape idea; over time though the tape may mar or remove the finish if removed often. It may also yellow and dry up from the heat. The finish on my cradle is starting to come off from what, I'm not sure. I suspect from dropping it in the car.

Just a thought

Somehow, I'm not a fan of the idea of tape or glue. I can see tape being useful for RC craft because it's generally not on there too long but on a camera sitting in a hot car it could present problems, long term. Glue seems like it could be messy too and somehow I'm not partial to having to repeatedly break a glue joint. With the clip idea at least it can be applied and removed quickly and is non destructive, even if it's ugly....and it does seem to act as a heat sink. Actually, my Mobius seems so solid in it's mount I'm not terribly worried that it is going flying off during an impact. I'm still thinking Bob's mount may have had a flaw or not been seated all the way but I don't remember if he commented about that.

Oh, I forget to mention. Rubberized coatings have a nice flat black stealthy look and a great hand feel but the finish does wear off fairly easily. It's happened to me on several gadgets. My flip style cell phone has a finish like a Mobius and where my thumb always rests and where it rubs going in an out of the belt case the finish is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow, I'm not a fan of the idea of tape or glue. I can see tape being useful for RC craft because it's generally not on there too long but on a camera sitting in a hot car it could present problems, long term. Glue seems like it could be messy too and somehow I'm not partial to having to repeatedly break a glue joint. With the clip idea at least it can be applied and removed quickly and is non destructive, even if it's ugly....and it does seem to act as a heat sink. Actually, my Mobius seems so solid in it's mount I'm not terribly worried that it is going flying off during an impact. I'm still think Bob's mount may have had a flaw or not been seated all the way but I don't remember if he commented about that.
Hey I had a crazy idea. If Toms info is right, the best mount for cooling would be the JooVuu waterproof case. According to Tom Frank, the Mobius ran cooler in the case than without.

Hey I had a crazy idea. If Toms info is right, the best mount for cooling would be the JooVuu waterproof case. According to Tom Frank, the Mobius ran cooler in the case than without.

I think anything that acts as a heat sink to transfer heat from the camera should do this. I was surprised the binder clip worked so well although I haven't tested it much yet. My guess is that the huge heat sink on Bob's camera worked better that the clip or the JooVoo case.

Edit: I've been wanting one of those JooVoo cases and may end up ordering one. :)

Apparently, mattresses flying off the backs of vehicles operated by amatuer movers is a fairly common problem. In January of this year, not too far from where I live there was a very similar story to what happened to Bob that sadly resulted in a fatality. A mattress came off a truck, the vehicle behind stopped to avoid it and was rear ended by another vehicle. Apparently, as in Bob's scenario the driver of the truck with the mattress stopped to readjust his load and continued on without acknowledging or taking responsibility for the accident he caused.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548078/Woman-dead-mattress-flies-vehicle.html

mattress.jpg

Last edited:
Back on topic, snapped this on the first day of having my Mobius installed!

Youtube seems to have only rendered it at 480p for some reason!

Traffic manners in Portugal are really bad. People being smart-a**es cuting your front on traffic lights, not using turn indicators or "slaloming" in multi lane road are "normal" events.
But today I experienced this closed call today that made me break hard, just because some young lady driver was distracted chatting and decided to cut straigh the roundabout without signaling the lane change.

Last edited:
Absolutely disgraceful driving. What was the hand signal she gave you, it was difficult to tell in the video.

What was the hand signal she gave you, it was difficult to tell in the video.

She just rised the hand apologising. From what I remenber from the situation, she looked like caught by surprise.

This is something I made after collecting a fair few Essex-based incidents.

If you aren't aware of TOWIE, or Essex, you might not get it at all.

Over the last month I've collected these snippets of bad driving and close calls. Enjoy. Remember to comment, like and subscribe.

Apparently, mattresses flying off the backs of vehicles operated by amatuer movers is a fairly common problem. In January of this year, not too far from where I live there was a very similar story to what happened to Bob that sadly resulted in a fatality. A mattress came off a truck, the vehicle behind stopped to avoid it and was rear ended by another vehicle. Apparently, as in Bob's scenario the driver of the truck with the mattress stopped to readjust his load and continued on without acknowledging or taking responsibility for the accident he caused.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548078/Woman-dead-mattress-flies-vehicle.html

View attachment 4825
What the hell why did none of the witnesses who saw the truck resecuring his load get his plate number? If i saw that happened i would have chased him down myself.

What the hell why did none of the witnesses who saw the truck resecuring his load get his plate number? If i saw that happened i would have chased him down myself.

Good question! My guess is that people were probably focused on the accident scene rather than the moving truck that had pulled over to the shoulder some distance beyond where it lost the mattress. Also, many people are mindless idiots who don't give a crap or think someone else will do the right thing.

It's called "tunnel vision", I didn't see the truck pulled to the side because I was looking at only the car stopped in front of me and worrying if I'd stop in time. After being hit, I was focused on the car that hit me and what possible damage where was. It was only long after that I watched the video and saw the guy pulled to the side. Thrust me if I had know he was there, I would have captured several photos of his car and his plates.

It's called "tunnel vision", I didn't see the truck pulled to the side because I was looking at only the car stopped in front of me and worrying if I'd stop in time. After being hit, I was focused on the car that hit me and what possible damage where was. It was only long after that I watched the video and saw the guy pulled to the side. Thrust me if I had know he was there, I would have captured several photos of his car and his plates.
Well i know you didnt see the truck in your case, but i meant in the case where the woman died, allegedly multiple witnesses saw the truck driver adjusting his load and none of them thought to remember his plate.

Well i know you didnt see the truck in your case, but i meant in the case where the woman died, allegedly multiple witnesses saw the truck driver adjusting his load and none of them thought to remember his plate.

More likely they didn't want to get involved. Gone are the days when people looked out for each other.

Not a Mobius, but a Bulls-I B2000 mounted on my motorcycle before I got the Mobius. Close call with a deer...

Back