Mobius Maxi Support Thread

overall , the wifi freezes the maxi over half the time i try to use it, so it's kinda useless (for me)

Personally I don't have much need for the wifi function on Mobius cameras since I can adjust settings with mSetup, but I do understand that others may have a different view, especially if they have no PC on which to run mSetup.

I would rather see Mobius concentrate their efforts on fixing FW issues and developing cameras than spending time and resources attending to the demands of maintaining android and iOS apps.

Personally I don't have much need for the wifi function on Mobius cameras since I can adjust settings with mSetup, but I do understand that others may have a different view, especially if they have no PC on which to run mSetup.

I would rather see Mobius concentrate their efforts on fixing FW issues and developing cameras than spending time and resources attending to the demands of maintaining android and iOS apps.
Nevertheless, they sell it with the feature, so it should work as advertised.... And it doesn't, as I hear too from other users...

I'm trying to connect my (supercapacitor) maxi via usb to an android 9 head unit in webcam mode. I can't get it to be recognized as a camera. I *am* able to connect it in this manner to my mac laptop... Is this something that works, and if so, what secret am I missing? (I have successfully done this with a generic usb webcam as a test ...)

I'm trying to connect my (supercapacitor) maxi via usb to an android 9 head unit in webcam mode. I can't get it to be recognized as a camera. I *am* able to connect it in this manner to my mac laptop... Is this something that works, and if so, what secret am I missing? (I have successfully done this with a generic usb webcam as a test ...)
I don't think I ever managed to get a Maxi to work as a remote camera with my android phone, although I believe I can do so on a windows computer. I've never used a head unit so I can't comment on that.

I could still use a recommendation for a reliable SD card that has been tested to work with the Maxi at 2.7K .
Its capacity should be 64GB at least. Apparently the Transcend 128GB I last bought is fast enough but doesn't work properly with the Maxi
Sorry to bump this but, my 64GB Evo+ seems to be dying (been using it for the last 2 years). was wondering if anyone here is using Lexar high performance 633x in their Maxi?
I use 32GB version on the Raspberry Pi4 and they work fast and reliable so far, but the Maxi is a bit picky on cards

Sorry to bump this but, my 64GB Evo+ seems to be dying (been using it for the last 2 years). was wondering if anyone here is using Lexar high performance 633x in their Maxi?
I use 32GB version on the Raspberry Pi4 and they work fast and reliable so far, but the Maxi is a bit picky on cards

Since 2017 Lexar doesn't really exist anymore as the company that it used to be. You would be better off with a brand name with good support that is known to work well for dash cams. If it were me I would simply buy another EVO+ for the Maxi but there are certainly others to choose from. There are a few good threads on the topic here on DCT.

Lexar MicroSD cards discontinued, here are some good alternatives

Micron Technology is shutting down its Lexar microSD card business, but there are still plenty of other microSD options out there.

Since 2017 Lexar doesn't really exist anymore as the company that it used to be. You would be better off with a brand name with good support that is known to work well for dash cams. If it were me I would simply buy another EVO+ for the Maxi but there are certainly others to choose from. There are a few good threads on the topic here on DCT.

Lexar MicroSD cards discontinued, here are some good alternatives

Micron Technology is shutting down its Lexar microSD card business, but there are still plenty of other microSD options out there.
thanks. going to order Sandisk Extreme U3 instead

thanks. going to order Sandisk Extreme U3 instead

Seems a good choice.

Yeah, Lexar "brand" memory cards are still on the market but they are no longer manufactured by Micron so you have no idea what you are actually buying except a label that says Lexar.

so my Maxi has been going crazy lately - sometimes it doesn't start recording on "power on" and on "power off" i get the rear led blinking constantly until it dies out. I'm using a capacitor.
tried resetting it a couple of times, works okay, and after some time returns to same behavior. Is this indication of the capacitor dying?

so my Maxi has been going crazy lately - sometimes it doesn't start recording on "power on" and on "power off" i get the rear led blinking constantly until it dies out. I'm using a capacitor.
tried resetting it a couple of times, works okay, and after some time returns to same behavior. Is this indication of the capacitor dying?

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is all too common with the Maxi. I had similar experiences from time to time and eventually the camera became bricked during a firmware update and that was the end of it.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is all too common with the Maxi. I had similar experiences from time to time and eventually the camera became bricked during a firmware update and that was the end of it.
Do you think it's the capacitor dying & worth replacing or,
it's time for a new camera?

Do you think it's the capacitor dying & worth replacing or,
it's time for a new camera?

I think a bad capacitor is unlikely but anything is possible. The capacitor is more for keeping the date and time and closing the last file after power is withdrawn. It shouldn't really have anything to do with power on.

@TonyM is our resident expert on the Maxi so I would see what advice he might have about what to do with your camera at this point.

@tomerrr

Try reloading the firmware via mSetup and see if that helps.

I think that's a good idea but I was reluctant to suggest it as reloading the firmware after having troubles with a freezing camera is how my Maxi got bricked. I'm not really sure what happened or if there is anything I could have done differently to prevent it.

My suggestion is that @tomerrr should hold off until @TonyM joins the conversation to see if he can offer some insight before proceeding.

I think that's a good idea but I was reluctant to suggest it as reloading the firmware after having troubles with a freezing camera is how my Maxi got bricked. I'm not really sure what happened or if there is anything I could have done differently to prevent it.

My suggestion is that @tomerrr should hold off until @TonyM joins the conversation to see if he can offer some insight before proceeding.

Yes, there's a very real chance of that happening and nobody appears to have a finger on why it does. Luckily mine's still up and running.

Yes, there's a very real chance of that happening and nobody appears to have a finger on why it does. Luckily mine's still up and running.

For related reasons I've been reluctant to order the new Maxi 4K until there is more evidence of its stability. Glad your Maxi is hanging in there!

For related reasons I've been reluctant to order the new Maxi 4K until there is more evidence of its stability. Glad your Maxi is hanging in there!

Same here, waiting for some real world user experiences with the capacitor version before taking the plunge. Doubt we'll see any, anytime soon though.

Sorry to say that I don't have an answer to why the Maxi is failing to auto start and auto stop. Especially if it works for a while after a reset then fails again.

To rule out other factors, like the car and power supply, you could test indoors with a phone charger.

If you have access to a battery you could try that instead of the capacitor.

Have you tried formatting the card?

Sorry to say that I don't have an answer to why the Maxi is failing to auto start and auto stop. Especially if it works for a while after a reset then fails again.

To rule out other factors, like the car and power supply, you could test indoors with a phone charger.

If you have access to a battery you could try that instead of the capacitor.

Have you tried formatting the card?
i'm trying all that now (besides battery as i don't have one) -
brought the Maxi back to the apartment and ..no issues. also, date/time is correct so I guess capacitor is working fine. also managed to connect over wifi and format the card through the app.
right now i'm letting it record (connected to usb socket) so it would heat up as much as possible, as i think heat could be the cause to my issues

Back