Mobius

Thanks for video, but from what I see, - there is not much difference, because videos were wrongly synchronized. Check 0 min 55-56 sec when red car making a right turn. On wide angle lens car is half of its length front than on bottom video.
Best way to synchronize videos is looking for traffic lights or other cars lights blinks.
If video would be synchronized correctly, then for sure we could see a better, proper wide lens angle.
You may try to synchronize again if you still have original files.

That part is probably the best place to compare view angles. He's stopped and you can see the difference.

Here's what I calculated for the 116 degree diagonal view. The 116 degrees diagonal should produce about a 101 degrees horizontal, about 57 degrees vertical view. This is a bit more than the 100 degrees diagonal and 87 degrees horizontal, 49 degrees vertical for the standard lens. Personally, I like the wider view, it adds a bit more on the edges without going so wide things are just too small.

Bob Diaz

I took the source files from JooVuu and did my own comparison of the two videos. It's not easy getting exact sync of the videos, in some cases they match in other cases, it's off by 1 frame. You'll also notice that the projected image size is about the same and the larger wide angle image shows what's missing from the standard lens.

Bob Diaz

Thanks jokiin,

I gave you full credit in the YouTube posting and tried sever different layouts to try and show the differences between the lenses before posting this one. Exact alignment wasn't possible, but it's close to the horizontal alignment. My personal feeling is that the wide angle lens really offers a better view of the road, allowing you to better see what's happening on both sides of the car.

Thanks for posting the source videos !!!!

Bob Diaz

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used this camera as a dashcam for the last four weeks in South Eastern Australia. The spring weather has been mild and inside car temps have not been to hot. I have done all the updates and formatting via the desktop GUI. It has worked perfectly till yesterday when for some unknown reason I got the blue light of death. It will no longer turn on and the computer will no longer recognise it. I have tried a hard reset with a paper clip, which when connected to a charger allowed the green battery charging light to come on. After a full charge the green light went out but when I attempted to turn the camera on the blue light came on for a moment then that was it. What happened next was interesting for anyone else who finds themselves in this situation. I left the camera on the desk and when I pick it up some hours later the heatsinks were quite warm. I cannot explain why this would happen. Anyway after giving this camera great wraps to my friends I am devastated it has died. I don't think I will be buying another one to use as a dashcam, especially with the Australian Summer fast approaching.

fatpanda,

I am greatful you took your time to report your failed Mobius, it is just unforfunate you have to be another guinea pig. Maybe the Mobius manufacturer has to conduct more testing i.e. recording video in the car under hot sun several hours each day, for a month, before they advertise it as a car dashcam.

Maybe the Mobius manufacturer has to conduct more testing i.e. recording video in the car under hot sun several hours each day, for a month, before they advertise it as a car dashcam.

from what I've seen reported by others that are in contact with the developer, using it as a dashcam was something they were encouraged to facilitate but it was not the original intended purpose of the product, I'm sure in the RC hobby market this is a seriously good product for that application, making a product for use in an automotive environment is not as straightforward though and really may be beyond the capabilities of the product as it currently stands if it is to perform reliably

from what I've seen reported by others that are in contact with the developer, using it as a dashcam was something they were encouraged to facilitate but it was not the original intended purpose of the product, I'm sure in the RC hobby market this is a seriously good product for that application, making a product for use in an automotive environment is not as straightforward though and really may be beyond the capabilities of the product as it currently stands if it is to perform reliably
I notice on the RC forums users of the Mobius are beginning to report similar problems.

I notice on the RC forums users of the Mobius are beginning to report similar problems.
I mentioned, earlier this month, that maybe this was designed purely for the RC market - start recording & fly through the air straight away, get a good air flow over the heatsink. but it seems that even this might be a problem?

I would far sooner have something that is good (good quality videoand reliable. The only downside with what is out there at the moment is that we are expected to stick a dirty great big box onto our windscreen. I wouldn't mind having a large box if only I could have a decent, remote mounted, lens

Hi there,
I like the Mobius as a Dashcam, small and neat, great quality at day and relatively good quality (compared to other dashcams) at night, and sound quality is also good.
the problem is with the heating of course. however, touching the heatsink with your own hand is hardly accurate way to measure its temperature.
i got a digital thermometer to accurately measure the heat produced by the Mobius as i live in a very hot country and i didn't want it to melt down.
unfortunately (or not) its already the end of the summer. So far i got only once a reading of 65C off the heatsink. since then the temperatures wen't down by roughly 10C and so did the Mobius heatsink.
of course i was driving with A/C cooling on like always, im not trying to test it in extreme conditions but under normal ones.
the electronics of the cam can survive up to like 100C (probably even higher), but that amount of heat would probably shorten its life cycle. The real problem however is the LIPO battery which has optimal life cycle at 20C, and at 45C its life expectancy is shorted by half. on top of that we don't even know whats the quality of the Mobius battery and whats its initial/optimal life cycle.
If the develops will actually provide a capacitor instead of the battery that would be great indeed.

Meanwhile i ordered 1.1cm*1.1cm heatsinks (for chips) to glue with thermal adhesive on top of the heatsink/s to help with radiating the heat out, and measure how much it helps exactly.
i'll report back when it comes.

Hi there,
I like the Mobius as a Dashcam, small and neat, great quality at day and relatively good quality (compared to other dashcams) at night, and sound quality is also good.
the problem is with the heating of course. however, touching the heatsink with your own hand is hardly accurate way to measure its temperature.
i got a digital thermometer to accurately measure the heat produced by the Mobius as i live in a very hot country and i didn't want it to melt down.
unfortunately (or not) its already the end of the summer. So far i got only once a reading of 65C off the heatsink. since then the temperatures wen't down by roughly 10C and so did the Mobius heatsink.
of course i was driving with A/C cooling on like always, im not trying to test it in extreme conditions but under normal ones.
the electronics of the cam can survive up to like 100C (probably even higher), but that amount of heat would probably shorten its life cycle. The real problem however is the LIPO battery which has optimal life cycle at 20C, and at 45C its life expectancy is shorted by half. on top of that we don't even know whats the quality of the Mobius battery and whats its initial/optimal life cycle.
If the develops will actually provide a capacitor instead of the battery that would be great indeed.

Meanwhile i ordered 1.1cm*1.1cm heatsinks (for chips) to glue with thermal adhesive on top of the heatsink/s to help with radiating the heat out, and measure how much it helps exactly.
i'll report back when it comes.

You may also try adding a micro-fan. This for sure will help heat dissipation.

Hi everyone,
I/ www.JooVuu.com put together a quick video showing the difference between wide and standard lens etc...

I recall you saying in a previous post that you've sold over 400 Mobius cams. Just wondering how many have been returned as faulty, & what faults were reported?

You may also try adding a micro-fan. This for sure will help heat dissipation.
that would require a lot more work then just sticking a heatsink on top.
The Mobius heatsink has flat surface --> minimal surface area and thus i think is not very good at radiating heat. And even then as i wrote it does its job (not as much as we'd like to, but it works).
My guess is that just extending the surface area would suffice. But its juts a guess, i'll see how much it helps and post my findings.

Also, if there are any sellers on here, it would really help if the 3 meter USB cable had L shape connectors (and not straight ones) as we don't want it to stick out of the charger/cameras ass.

Last edited:
Adding fan is max 1-2h job. Extra heat sink like you plan + fan would be a perfect combination.

Back