Mobius

I recall you saying in a previous post that you've sold over 400 Mobius cams. Just wondering how many have been returned as faulty, & what faults were reported?

Dear Russ331,
We have indeed. We have had 8 returned as faulty. The biggest problem seems to be people leaving them out in the sun all day and the battery draining very quickly, we usually just replace the battery and send it back and the problem is usually solved. We've only had to send a few back to the developers as there was a fault we couldn't fix.

Any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Dan

Dear Russ331,
We have indeed. We have had 8 returned as faulty. The biggest problem seems to be people leaving them out in the sun all day and the battery draining very quickly, we usually just replace the battery and send it back and the problem is usually solved. We've only had to send a few back to the developers as there was a fault we couldn't fix.

Kind regards,

Dan

Thanks Dan. Is the 'Cheer Up Monday' offer still available? If so, what's the gift today & what's the code?

The cheer up Monday offer is still going on www.JooVuu.com. The code is cheerupmonday and the offer today is a free car suction cup :D

I teach electronics at the local Junior College. Adding a larger heat sink can only help, as the surface area increases and there's more room for cooling. Add a small fan with the heat sink and you increase air flow which increases cooling. While these help, I can't say how much they will help.

I live in Southern California and have access to a thermal camera. If anyone has the Mobius, lives in the area, and wants to see the heat, just let me know.

Bob Diaz

Doesn't work for me. Says... 'There is 1 error ... This voucher has expired'. Any suggestions?
We've corrected the problem and also added it to your order (for free of course!). It will ship tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Dan

Dear Russ331,

Kind regards,

Dan

If the battery was drained would the camera still power on and record from the car power cable.?
Would the computer acknowledge the camera if the battery was drained?

If the battery was drained would the camera still power on and record from the car power cable.?
Would the computer acknowledge the camera if the battery was drained?

yes, will power on and records, but not the last file. To record last file, cpu need power to transfer file from RAM to microsd card, but because internal battery is flat, last file will be not saved.

yes, will power on and records, but not the last file. To record last file, cpu need power to transfer file from RAM to microsd card, but because internal battery is flat, last file will be not saved.

Spot on and this is the majority of our returns. We've only had a few actual proper faulty cameras.

As far as I'm seeing what SpyTec & JooVuu reported, there doesn't appear to be a large number of returns on the Mobius. I keep hoping for the capacitor option on the Mobius. Does anyone know when that comes out????

Bob Diaz

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm seeing what SpyTec & JooVuu reported, there doesn't appear to be a large number of returns on the Mobius. I keep hoping for the capacitor option on the Mobius. Does anyone know when that comes out????

Bob Diaz
I believe there would be more cameras returned than what the suppliers are prepared to admit including mine which died for no reason at all.

I wo

Bob Diaz
I would be very surprised if they could do this and retain the current form factor, unless they planned on having them hang outside the case maybe

This Mobius camera is a bit of a tricky one. The size, video quality and price are great. Vendors say there have been only a small amount of returns. Maybe we need to wait a bit longer to see if heating is a major problem.

This Mobius camera is a bit of a tricky one. The size, video quality and price are great. Vendors say there have been only a small amount of returns. Maybe we need to wait a bit longer to see if heating is a major problem.

Video quality at night is not that great, worse than LS300W, however they both share same basic hardware ( NT96650 CPU + Aptina AR0330 CMOS ).
I think it's all due to firmware adjustments. Dod succeeded in this, - Mobius still has to learn.

@ my post regarding side by side night test: Mobisu vs Dod LS300W vs Panorama. ( Let's leave Panorama2 away, - it's a premium class, ... just compare Mobius vs LS300W )

Lens APERTURE F1.6 vs F2.8 ? Mobius vs LS300W vs Panorama2

However there are good news regarding Mobius performing better at day time than LS300W. I will post side-by-side videos soon.

( Edited few grammar mistakes ).

nice comparison video. seems like the LS300W has the low-light brightness/HDR tweaked better. And i don't know why some green lights appear blue/purple-ish at night on the Mobius.
however, the biggest issue with night recordings is that the images/frames are all smeared, contrary to daylight footage where every frame is amazingly sharp.

I would be very surprised if they could do this and retain the current form factor, unless they planned on having them hang outside the case maybe

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that I read that they were working on a capacitor option. IF they don't do it, I have considered getting a very large value capacitor and hanging it outside the case. By chance do you know the dimensions of the battery?

Here's a 1F, 5V, 17.30mm x 9.00mm x 22.00mm super cap:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PM-5R0V105-R/283-3015-ND/2185065

PM-5R0V105-R_sml.jpg

I think that's possibly a bit small to work reliably, the Novatek cameras do shutdown quickly but it still might not be enough, even so it would already be a lot larger than the battery they use, would never fit in the case

Update: OK, I did some searching and the battery, PL 603030 is 6mm x 30mm x 30mm. I'll search some more, but I don't think they make any super capacitors 6mm or thinner.

I think that's possibly a bit small to work reliably, the Novatek cameras do shutdown quickly but it still might not be enough, even so it would already be a lot larger than the battery they use, would never fit in the case

I did some more research and found that no super capacitor would fit within the small area of the current case. Any super capacitor that thin enough will have too high an internal resistance to be useful. In theory, they could make a larger (thicker) case to fit the capacitor. Now I wish I could find the location where I read about the capacitor option...

--------------------------------------

According to the following from the RC Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

"The internal battery is a lithium polymer cell (LIPO), which, when fully charged, has a capacity of 4.2V. The camera will turn off when the battery voltage reaches approx. 3.5V."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25753038&postcount=1502

"No battery, recording 1080p: 305mA"

I could show you all the calculations if you want to see it, but a 1F capacitor should provide just enough power for about 2 seconds before it discharges to the critical 3.5 V. The only thing I couldn't find is how long it takes a Mobius to shut down after the external power is removed. It' also not exactly clear how the charge circuit will deal with a capacitor in place of a battery.

Bob Diaz

Back