Mobius

I have studied the firmware file.
The processor and the sensor are the same as in the DOD LS300W - NT96650, AR0330.

v.a.z said:
The processor and the sensor are the same as in the DOD LS300W - NT96650, AR0330.

I had same assumptions regarding a cpu. Not many cpu in affordable price range can deliver 18Mbps at 1080p 30fps.
The only thing I dont understand, if cpu is nt96650, cmos ar0330, - why night time video quality is not that good as TioTech-type dash cams with same hardware? ( I had made side by side tests ). Maybe cheaper lens and firmware plays big role here?

Another question: can you educate us how you determine what exact cpu and cmos is used by only looking at raw files? I know that some file properties shows cpu type but not always. Is there any other way to determine? And how about how to know about cmos?

Thanks.

v.a.z said:

thanks for sharing, not surprised, it's a popular solution right now that delivers good value for money results

niko said:
The only thing I dont understand, if cpu is nt96650, cmos ar0330, - why night time video quality is not that good as TioTech-type dash cams with same hardware? ( I had made side by side tests ). Maybe cheaper lens and firmware plays big role here?

for sure, no doubt the LS300W has a good lens which accounts for most of the difference, they have also manged to get good results firmware wise though as well, the Mobius developer is quite active in this respect so could well catch up or even surpass them soon, might make the DOD branded models look a bit expensive when they do

jokiin said:
niko said:

for sure, no doubt the LS300W has a good lens which accounts for most of the difference, they have also manged to get good results firmware wise though as well, the Mobius developer is quite active in this respect so could well catch up or even surpass them soon, might make the DOD branded models look a bit expensive when they do

Ok, lens thing can be sorted myself, even buying high quality expensive 50-70usd wide angle 150-170 degree, no big deal if looking for perfection, but firmware wise just need to hope for Mobius being more active in developing / upgrading it. Also motion detection rec could be also added. If those issues will be sorted, then I have very big hopes for Mobius.

niko said:
jokiin said:
niko said:

Ok, lens thing can be sorted myself, even buying high quality expensive 50-70usd wide angle 150-170 degree, no big deal if looking for perfection, but firmware wise just need to hope for Mobius being more active in developing / upgrading it. Also motion detection rec could be also added. If those issues will be sorted, then I have very big hopes for Mobius.

I suspect the Mobius devs are really focused on the RC user market, if they decided to do a dedicated dashcam product I've no doubt they could do something good, I don't think the current product is that suitable, it does seem to deliver admirable results for what it is though

I agree that their initial market is RC, but just twinkling a little bit with firmware and offering slightly better lens ( may put their total price by 10-20usd up ) they could get a strong position on the dash cam market which I guess is much bigger than RC. Still even with present video quality result and functionality Mobius is nr.1 from all tiny / mini video recording devices I know within this price range. Good job anyway!

niko said:
v.a.z said:

I had same assumptions regarding a cpu. Not many cpu in affordable price range can deliver 18Mbps at 1080p 30fps.

Another question: can you educate us how you determine what exact cpu and cmos is used by only looking at raw files? I know that some file properties shows cpu type but not always. Is there any other way to determine? And how about how to know about cmos?

Thanks.
Do a search in the firmware file 'NT96650' or 'AR0330' and see for yourself!

v.a.z said:

I'm not really sure why they made such a big deal out of not wanting people to know what they were using, if anything it only makes people more determined to work it out, in a digital age you can't hide anything

jokiin said:
v.a.z said:

I'm not really sure why they made such a big deal out of not wanting people to know what they were using, if anything it only makes people more determined to work it out, in a digital age you can't hide anything

Reminds me TioTech "A8" cpu story.

niko said:
jokiin said:
v.a.z said:

Reminds me TioTech "A8" cpu story.

Mobius didn't want to say, 'TioTech' wanted to say something that wasn't true, not sure either approach is workable in this day and age

personally when our cameras are out I'll happily tell you all the major components that have gone into them, will even supply the spec sheets where I have them, there's some interesting reading amongst it for people that are technically inclined or just want to learn more about what's under the covers

In our digital age its almost impossible to hide something. Sooner or later it will be known.
Mobius open pictures of CPU are blurred by Tom Frank, probably Mobius developers asked him not to share info to the public and I think I know why: maybe to avoid other factories to copy a unit before original Mobius sales channels are strongly established. Same tactic might be applied to TioTech as well, so from developer point of view I understand them.

Mobius Action Camera Config Setup Question

Hello, I just joined the DashcamTalk community this is my first post. How do I change the settings in my Mobius system configuration file to autostart in 1080P mode? Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
I suspect the Mobius devs are really focused on the RC user market, if they decided to do a dedicated dashcam product I've no doubt they could do something good, I don't think the current product is that suitable, it does seem to deliver admirable results for what it is though

It wouldn't take much for Mobius to make an ideal dash-cam version.

(1) Use a wider angle lens.

(2) Put a large capacitor in place of the battery.

(3) Maybe a bigger or better heat-sink on top of the camera.

That's only a few minor changes in manufacturing to better address the dash-cam market.

Bob Diaz

BobDiaz said:
jokiin said:

That's only a few minor changes in manufacturing to better address the dash-cam market.

Bob Diaz

I've had wide angle lenses in other cams & hated them because, IMO, you lost video quality.

sludgeguts said:
BobDiaz said:
jokiin said:

Bob Diaz

I've had wide angle lenses in other cams & hated them because, IMO, you lost video quality.

Witch cheaper wide angle lens you lose video quality. There are high quality wide angle lenses out there, where the lenses price in many cases higher than whole dash cam., - with those type of lenses video quality is very good.

Where can I get a new 12 volt adapter? I slammed door on mine and killed it. The one with cam seems to be specific due to it's wiring. Maybe there is a USB cord I could use plugging it into a USB generic 2A adapter?

Back