Mobius

Fake Mobius
The developer has informed us of a possible FAKE MOBIUS being sold on ebay. He has not supplied this seller with any cameras, so chances are high that these are fakes or non-existing. So beware.

New Firmware available
Firmware version 0.57 has just been posted at the main RC Groups thread, post #3. If you use the auto-connect power-on feature then it's well worth installing this version. Hopefully it will be the last bug fix before starting phase 2.

I think is a problem installing this firmware at least using the GUI.
I think you should wait a little more before installing it.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think is a problem installing this firmware at least using the GUI.
I think you should wait a little more before installing it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for the tip. I've seen your comments at RCGroups, & from others having issues with v0.57. Think I'll wait a while, as mine is working nicely under v0.53

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just installed the new FW all I wanted was the features from 0.53
To continue recording until Internal battery runs out. I think that is a nice feature and wanted to test if it would work with car charger. It would be nice if a camera could sometimes continue recording when the car is parked.

v0.53 - added 60Hz and 50Hz settings to eliminate flicker with some lighting caused by AC power line frequency.
- Global 180 deg. image rotation has been replaced with individual toggles for both video modes and photo mode.
- Lens A and Lens B auto WB correction options for Standard (Lens A) and Wide Angle (Lens B) lenses.
- Auto recording can now be toggled to start when power button is press and/or when external USB power is connceted (with no active data lines).
- Auto recording started with external USB power can now be toggled to stop/save immediately, continue for 10 min., or continue until internal battery power runs out.
- Battery Charge Indicator blinks the rear red LED only from 1 to 3 times when camera first boots to show approximate state of charge.
v0.57 - fixed (I hope!) the elusive external power auto-record bug that began recording instead of going into disk mode when connected to a PC USB port with certain memory cards and cameras.

But in GUI I see no such options?

That 10 mins. from your description are 10 seconds in fact, also as showed by the latest version of mSetup.
The "Disabled" option from the mSetup will allow to keep recording on even the USB power is OFF so the recording will continue until the battery will be empty.
These options are still in V0.57 and working OK.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ogh that is great thanks , of course entering this value manually would be best, because 10min. option or alike would be useful as well.

I think was a problem with my card. Tested with another card ans working OK.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for the tip. I've seen your comments at RCGroups, & from others having issues with v0.57. Think I'll wait a while, as mine is working nicely under v0.53

I've also seen the posts but I think it's just coincidence and has nothing to do with v0.57. I could be wrong though ;).
v0.57 also contains various other minor tweaks and is well worth the update IMO. If you use mSetup it's dead simple to go back a firmware version or two. I do this all the time during testing and must have upgraded/downgraded many hundreds of times.
What I can confirm is that there is a .rar (compressed) copy of the .bin file in the archive, as Mtz pointed out. This should have absolutely no effect on the firmware though.
I believe all the other posts boil down to badly formatted cards or even a non-compatible card.
The developer has tested most of the major brand cards and has found no issues whatsoever. I have also tested over 20 different cards and have also not found any compatibility problems whatsoever. Since there are hundreds of SD cards on the market, there is bound to be one or two that won't work in one device or another.
The developer has also found that some no-name cards or class 2 cards draw more than 20mA current than quality cards when writing data. This can lead to unwanted electrical noise being recorded in the audio track which will be noticed on playback in the form of buzzing or clicking sounds. For best results only well known brands should be used and no-name cards should be avoided at all costs. There are also many fake cards on the market so people should be cautious when buying cards on eBay.

I've also seen the posts but I think it's just coincidence and has nothing to do with v0.57. I could be wrong though ;).
v0.57 also contains various other minor tweaks and is well worth the update IMO. If you use mSetup it's dead simple to go back a firmware version or two.

Thanks. That's reassuring. I need to update the clock following last weekend's UK change back to GMT, so it'll be convenient to update firmware at the same time.

Regarding card compatibility, Mobius seems to be quite tolerant by comparison with some other cameras discussed on this site. When mine was delivered, the only card I had available was a 3 year old, unbranded, class 4, which works just as well as the new SanDisk class 4 that I now use.

Thanks. That's reassuring. I need to update the clock following last weekend's UK change back to GMT, so it'll be convenient to update firmware at the same time.

Regarding card compatibility, Mobius seems to be quite tolerant by comparison with some other cameras discussed on this site. When mine was delivered, the only card I had available was a 3 year old, unbranded, class 4, which works just as well as the new SanDisk class 4 that I now use.

I know the developer works very closely with the chip manufacturer and that they have also integrated some of his recommendations into their APIs. This is a great advantage over the competition since the Mobius will always be compiled with the latest code libraries. I don't know if he receives beta versions for testing, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Having a good relationship with the chip manufacture is a big plus, especially when bugs are found or help is needed to implement functionality not available in the API.
You are absolutely correct about the card compatibility. This can easily be seen by comparing the #18 firmware to the #16 firmware, both of which use identical DSPs and similar hardware. The #16 is very card-friendly because it is compiled with the latest code libraries from the chip manufacturer. The #18 has major problems with many cards because it is compiled with old and buggy APIs.

As far as the Mobius is concerned, regular firmware updates not only ensure the latest firmware features, but also the latest DSP code. I don't know what arrangements other developers have with the chip manufacturer, but, given the popularity of the Mobius, I don't think they will be so good.

Do we know why/when the Mobius builds additional subdirectories under DCIM?
I now have 100HDDVR & 102HDDVR; new imagery is going to the later.

After it records 9999 movies in one folder (i.e. 102HDDVR\REC_9999.MOV) it will create a new folder with the number incremented and the file counter will be restarted: 103HDDVR\REC_0001.MOV.

Reactions: Jim
Techmoan has just added the following comment under his video review of the Mobius...

"The Mobius is a great little camera and it seems most people would agree given the comments I've received. I do plan to install mine in my car when my lens extender cable arrives. Then it will really be a hide and forget dash cam".

Looks like Techmoan is finally getting round to installing it permanently. Perhaps he'll make a Mobius installation video?

Last edited:
After 8 weeks of using the mobius a fault developed with the audio.
It sounded like an old film projector when the video was viewed on my PC.

I contacted the vendor eletoponline365 and they requested that I return it for a replacement. It only cost me £3.50 to send it to China and I have now received the replacement with a gift of a handlebar mount to compensate for my troubles.

Great customer service and a great camera.

I am definitely going with the Mobius; just trying to decide on which lens (as so many others). It's truly a very versatile little camera. Right now, I am living outside the US, in Mexico. A little while ago, my car was rear ended and the guy took off. I have come to realize this is more common than I thought, so important to me is being able to get plate numbers.

I was completely set on the A until reading the forums and hearing how important wide angle is. I have watched almost every video comparison and maybe that made me a bit more confused :confused: It seems to my untrained eye, that the B lens video isn't as sharp as the A lens and the colors seem off on the B lens. I am sure color correction is fixed or soon will be in the firmware updates. Is that extra width really needed in a car cam, what is the ideal? What are your experiences with both lenses. Thanks guys :D I appreciate your help, forgive my newbness

I was completely set on the A until reading the forums and hearing how important wide angle is. I have watched almost every video comparison and maybe that made me a bit more confused :confused: It seems to my untrained eye, that the B lens video isn't as sharp as the A lens and the colors seem off on the B lens. I am sure color correction is fixed or soon will be in the firmware updates. Is that extra width really needed in a car cam, what is the ideal? What are your experiences with both lenses. Thanks guys :D I appreciate your help, forgive my newbness

niko has both versions of the Mobius. His low-light comparison indicates that the B lens offers advantages at night...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ght-than-a-lens-v0-57-no-problem-for-me.3201/

I have the B lens. I like that it provides extra footage of the nutters who pull out from side roads into my path.

The B lens HFOV is 116deg, however, by selecting the 'small' setting, the HFOV is reduced to 102deg, a useful choice if you want to reduce the field of view.

IMO, both lenses are similarly sharp. As for colour hue, your monitor settings may affect what you perceive. There's mixed opinion at RC Groups, where some prefer lens A with B colour setting, some prefer lens B with A colour setting, etc, etc.

Why not buy both models? B lens for the front & A lens for the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am definitely going with the Mobius; just trying to decide on which lens (as so many others). It's truly a very versatile little camera. Right now, I am living outside the US, in Mexico. A little while ago, my car was rear ended and the guy took off. I have come to realize this is more common than I thought, so important to me is being able to get plate numbers.

I took the comparison footage shot by JooVuu and created a side by side video.

While the wide angle lens ("B") can't read the license plates as well as the regular lens ("A"), the extra angle of view does help capture things on the edges that may be important to any accident recording. My feelings are; Add the better low light ability and the "B" lens seems to be better choice. This however is subjective because we are looking at a trade-off choice.

By the way, after waiting and waiting, SpyTec now sells the "B" Lens version of the Mobius. :)

http://www.spytecinc.com/mobius-1080p-hd-action-camera-wide-angle.html#.UpevM41iGR9

Why not buy both models? B lens for the front & A lens for the rear.

Russ, I like the way you think. Though :rolleyes: I'm not sure my wife would agree with my choice.

Back