Motorcycle dash cam(Waterproof)?

the mounting hardware is by far the more challenging part of the process, the hardware itself, DVR, cams etc is easy in comparison
Which camera would you go with jokiin?

I'm looking into this. Like most people here I would like to have one on my bike. Ultimately in the helmet but the wiring/battery is annoying. Mounting it doesn't seem too complicated on a per case basis... I've been looking at cameras but I'm new here and am not sure of what's good quality or not.

For example, I could easily mount something like this on my bike: And then use a USB waterproof cable like this: http://www.usbfirewire.com/usb-rugged-waterproof-plastic.html (assuming the screw cap are the same size). Not sure if it's do able but just an idea.

there are some purpose built waterproof cams I can get that would be ideal, they look similar in style to the ones they use on the bikes in the MotoGP if you are familiar with those

This thing? http://adrenalinecamera.com/product_info.php?products_id=233
Looks cool but the webpage/presentation makes it look very sketchy.

the physical size of the camera would be about the same, not the same one though, hadn't seen that one before, until now really any cameras for bikes have only ever been targeted toward trackday, sports use etc, nothing like the car product, there has been a bike one announced (Italian company that does dash cams from memory) but from what I've seen of it I feel they got the design wrong, perhaps though it is suited to their local market, I'm not sure

Last edited:
So I've been doing some research about potential stuff that could work as dash cams for a bike. Bullet cameras come up the most often. Aside premade kits that do not seem very good and in the 200$ + range, I can't seem to find much. Figured I'd list them here anyway:
http://www.4kam.com/
http://www.cedigital.com/xcart/product.php?productid=137&cat=77&page=1
http://shop.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-ride-bullet-camera

If anyone has suggestions for a bullet cam that could be used, it'd be awesome. So far I can't find anything decent.

Thanks for the links. I don't want to sound rude but you not going to find a motorcycle dash cam just yet, because there is none made today. (it is an open market :) so I hope soon )
There are many cameras that can be used as dash cam and even much more that are good as action cameras but we still have to wait, or mod existing cameras to fit as best.

Okay, haven't visited this forum for a while but just seen this thread.

From my username you'll see I'm a biker (Pan referring to a Honda Pan European) and presently using a helmet mounted Sony AS15. It produces great video and I'm quite happy using it. I had to make the mount myself because Sony have only recently entered the action cam market and not many accessories are available yet. When mounting on a helmet, you need to be able to adjust the camera angle in all directions. A wide angle lens can also be filled with helmet if mounted too close to the side of the helmet. This is why I used a ball joint mounting on my present setup.

I record all the time I'm riding. To save an event, I have to trawl through my vids at the end of the day and that can be a pain! I keep my daily videos for no more than 2 weeks ( in case I need to challenge a speed camera, lol).

Forget about mounting on the bike - too much vibration on most bikes - plus it needs to be removed every time it's parked. Helmet mounting is the way to go. The neck automatically tries to stabilise your head so the eyes can focus (ever watched a long-necked bird flying?). Okay, our necks are not that long but a degree of stabilisation is going on.

Mounting on the bike does not allow the camera to pan sideways. This means you can miss a registration number. I know a few of my vids have my head turning to catch the reg. number or a view of the driver.

I started with a key-fob 808#16 camera with a wide angle D lens mounted *inside* the helmet, above my nose and eye line. This means it's discreet (none of the tedious "What's the camera for, Mister?" questions). It doesn't need to be weatherproof behind the visor, it's lightweight, little air resistance (drag), and a battery pack can be velcroed to the outside of the helmet or dropped into top pocket.

See my video here:
and some video shot with this setup:

However, to get 1080p quality and smooth "Steadyshot" stabilised video with good night time performance, I bought the Sony AS15 and put it on the side of the helmet. Always on the side - not on the top 'cos you look a plonker and I'd smash the camera on door frames at 6' 3"!

Here's how I fitted it:

I tried a wired bullet cam but found the quality lacking and the stiffer than normal cable a problem. A bullet shaped cam with front and rear lenses might be an idea?

Another requirement for many bikers is an external mic. that can be placed in the helmet - wind noise is a problem.
Vlogging (Video blogging) is becoming quite popular among bikers - just look at the YouTube Vloggers (Yes, there's some rubbish stuff on there - but you don't have to do it)

Blimey, it's late and I've been going on too long! C'ya later,
Paul.

Okay, haven't visited this forum for a while but just seen this thread.

From my username you'll see I'm a biker (Pan referring to a Honda Pan European) and presently using a helmet mounted Sony AS15. It produces great video and I'm quite happy using it. I had to make the mount myself because Sony have only recently entered the action cam market and not many accessories are available yet. When mounting on a helmet, you need to be able to adjust the camera angle in all directions. A wide angle lens can also be filled with helmet if mounted too close to the side of the helmet. This is why I used a ball joint mounting on my present setup.

I record all the time I'm riding. To save an event, I have to trawl through my vids at the end of the day and that can be a pain! I keep my daily videos for no more than 2 weeks ( in case I need to challenge a speed camera, lol).

Forget about mounting on the bike - too much vibration on most bikes - plus it needs to be removed every time it's parked. Helmet mounting is the way to go. The neck automatically tries to stabilise your head so the eyes can focus (ever watched a long-necked bird flying?). Okay, our necks are not that long but a degree of stabilisation is going on.

Mounting on the bike does not allow the camera to pan sideways. This means you can miss a registration number. I know a few of my vids have my head turning to catch the reg. number or a view of the driver.

I started with a key-fob 808#16 camera with a wide angle D lens mounted *inside* the helmet, above my nose and eye line. This means it's discreet (none of the tedious "What's the camera for, Mister?" questions). It doesn't need to be weatherproof behind the visor, it's lightweight, little air resistance (drag), and a battery pack can be velcroed to the outside of the helmet or dropped into top pocket.

See my video here:

However, to get 1080p quality and smooth "Steadyshot" stabilised video with good night time performance, I bought the Sony AS15 and put it on the side of the helmet. Always on the side - not on the top 'cos you look a plonker and I'd smash the camera on door frames at 6' 3"!

Here's how I fitted it:

I tried a wired bullet cam but found the quality lacking and the stiffer than normal cable a problem. A bullet shaped cam with front and rear lenses might be an idea?

Another requirement for many bikers is an external mic. that can be placed in the helmet - wind noise is a problem.
Vlogging (Video blogging) is becoming quite popular among bikers - just look at the YouTube Vloggers (Yes, there's some rubbish stuff on there - but you don't have to do it)

Blimey, it's late and I've been going on too long! C'ya later,
Paul.
Hey Paul, do you have any video of nighttime with the 808 ? Seems pretty cool and is very similar to the spy glasses thing I was wondering about. Just sucks it has to run off batteries. It would be a lot more convenient for a dashcam to run off power from the bike or without having to plug a wire every time.

MrF., The 808 is pretty hopeless at night time video - unwatchable despite changing the recording parameters, so no vids on that. That's why I went to the Sony AS15. I do a lot of riding at night and the Sony is the best, although "Steadyshot" stabilisation doesn't work too well at night. A smaller, neater, and lighter package with equal video quality (and rear lens?) would be ideal. Oh, and an easy way of telling if it was recording or not! (Light tunnel to one corner of visor?)

I'd like a car dashcam that's as good!

If you click on my YouTube username (same as forum name), you can find other videos I've uploaded. The 808 helmet vids are easy to spot 'cos the camera is centrally located.

As for powering from the bike, remember that bikes do not normally have cigar lighter sockets (we don't have ashtrays!). If a power connection is fitted, it is likely more for heated clothing or sat-nags. Also, bike generators/alternators do not have a car's power output to re-charge their batteries and overloading is possible on some smaller bikes.

I think any bike cam should be powered by a high capacity portable or built in battery. My 808 cams on 720p with a backup battery velcroed to the helmet will run for 4.5-5 hrs. The average biker will need a break before that.

My Sony battery lasts for 2.5hrs recording at 1080p and I always carry a fully charged spare. A 32Gb sd card takes around 4.25 hrs. I find this covers me for most riding, but I do have a power supply on the bike if needed. Bikers don't want to have power leads connecting them to the bike. They just blow about in the wind and get tangled. I have heated gloves (and heated grips) and the wires for those are a bit of a pain. A self-contained helmet system is the best way.

Paul
aka FlyingPanMan

Try the SJ2000. Same internals as the SJ1000 but a better form factor for a motorcycle and the unit itself it weatherproof ( no need to put it in a waterproof case).

Try the SJ2000. Same internals as the SJ1000 but a better form factor for a motorcycle and the unit itself it weatherproof ( no need to put it in a waterproof case).
Does the SJ2000 support auto on/auto record and looping?
Another one is does it keep its waterproofing if it's recording while charging ?

MrF., The 808 is pretty hopeless at night time video - unwatchable despite changing the recording parameters, so no vids on that. That's why I went to the Sony AS15. I do a lot of riding at night and the Sony is the best, although "Steadyshot" stabilisation doesn't work too well at night. A smaller, neater, and lighter package with equal video quality (and rear lens?) would be ideal. Oh, and an easy way of telling if it was recording or not! (Light tunnel to one corner of visor?)

If you click on my YouTube username (same as forum name), you can find other videos I've uploaded. The 808 helmet vids are easy to spot 'cos the camera is centrally located.

As for powering from the bike, remember that bikes do not normally have cigar lighter sockets (we don't have ashtrays!). If a power connection is fitted, it is likely more for heated clothing or sat-nags. Also, bike generators/alternators do not have a car's power output to re-charge their batteries and overloading is possible on some smaller bikes.

I think any bike cam should be powered by a high capacity portable or built in battery. My 808 cams on 720p with a backup battery velcroed to the helmet will run for 4.5-5 hrs. The average biker will need a break before that.

My Sony battery lasts for 2.5hrs recording at 1080p and I always carry a fully charged spare. A 32Gb sd card takes around 4.25 hrs. I find this covers me for most riding, but I do have a power supply on the bike if needed. Bikers don't want to have power leads connecting them to the bike. They just blow about in the wind and get tangled. I have heated gloves (and heated grips) and the wires for those are a bit of a pain. A self-contained helmet system is the best way.

Paul
aka FlyingPanMan
I partly disagree with you about the camera being in the helmet. Only partly because in a fixed position you miss a lot of the flexibility of the POV in the helmet. You can't cover as many angles/move. However fixed is a lot easier to use. I find it annoying to have to plug something every time I go out. The ease of a dash cam is the fact that you can just forget about it and use it if you ever need it. I like the idea of the 808 but feel like it might impair vision a bit. I'd have to try it to be sure.

I completely agree a self-contained unit is the best way but with current battery life of cameras, I'd rather it be on the bike than in my helmet.

Anyway, when I saw your set up for the batteries I thought of this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10r-battery-pack
The Sena battery pack. Smaller than yours, rechargeable, most likely lasts longer (claims around 7-8 hours of talk time with bluetooth) and made for that purpose. Seems to use the same plug, too. If you've moved to the AS-15, there's no point but in case any one wants to try your idea.

That's not the SJ2000 that Techmoan reviews in that link, though it looks similar. The SJ2000 is based on a Novatek and has one button, while that one that he reviews uses an Ambarella chip. The company that makes the SJ1000 and the SJ2000 have also made an SJ3000 which has a remote.

Paul
aka FlyingPanMan
I saw your post on the techmoan website. Here's the only video I could find that linked to a camera that is identical in looks and specs.

The SJ2000 has good daylight quality but I found some city night time footage on YouTube and, although acceptable, was not very impressive. Most cameras can see plenty in the bright city lights but the darker country roads are the real test. The only SJ3000 I could find looked a cheap plastic thing and bore no resemblance to the other SJ models.

I'll stick with my Sony AS15 for now. I like it a lot.

The Skully helmet looks and sounds impressive, but I found no mention of video recording? GPS, HUD rear view, phone, and music are mentioned. I can live without those distractions and would prefer high quality video recording that operates similar to a car dashcam. I also prefer the flip front style of helmet and the Skully isn't one of those... or open front!

On an integrated helmet design, a simple automatic turn on/off could be incorporated in the strap/buckle. Perhaps a battery pack on one side of the helmet and the camera/dvr on the opposite side would balance things out. Also, the ability to flip for left or right side mounting (if lens is in camera) for riding on different sides of the road.

I still think the best place for a lens is centrally just above the eyes inside the helmet. My old key fob camera was mounted there and it did not impede my vision. Only a small adjustment (1-2mm. downward tilt) was needed to get the horizon in the right place. The camera then sees what I am looking at when I turn my head. I've seen people mounting them to one side of the visor opening and drastically blocking their view to that side of the road.

Back