New DVR207 from eBay seller estore009? 1440x1080?

If the "207" is merely a 027 with a firmware upgrade and $20 on the price, be sure to leave NEGATIVE FEEDBACK :x

Very interesting. Based on all this, I don't think this camera is worth a $10 to $20 premium. Video quality is about the same. The 1080p is just interpolation.

The 2 outstanding questions are the processor and gaps between files. Perhaps the recent models of the DVR-027 have the Zoran Coach 12 chip instead of Coach 10 and no gaps between clips? Maybe someone can confirm this.

If that is the case, this is just a firmware upgrade and not worth it.

I'm not sure what processor is inside. This is my first dash cam I can say that there is no gaps between clips. I'm not sure what the "normal" price of a DVR-027 is, but I think I paid ($59.99) pretty close for my DVR-207 to what a DVR-027 sells for.

On another note, I have discovered a glitch with my DVR-207. I was recording with it this morning, then all of a sudden the unit shut down. The screen was lit up a bit (there was light emitting from the display), but there was no icons at all. All buttons like the power button on the unit were not working. Nothing was working at all.

I thought I had a lemon, but then I took out the battery to reset it, and it seems like that worked. It seems to be working again. In case anyone else has problems, this may help.

leo said:
To me it seems that 207 is merely a firmware upgrade from 027.

This listing was earlier 027, now seller has updated it to "upgrade version" listing:

DVR027 Upgrade Version

I ordered just a day before he updated the listing, so I am not sure what am I going to get :?

The "upgrade version" is the 207. You can tell by the icons on the menu and the 1440 x 1080 resolution. The 027 does not have them. You can see the differences in a chart on the estore099 store on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sale-Newest ... 4170ff59b4

Scroll down in the description and there's a side by side comparison of the 027 and 207 dashcams.

I just ordered one of each from this store, should be here next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm a newbie :) , I have a couple more questions about the settings on the DVR-207.

I noticed in the menu that there is a setting called "Light Frequency", and the choices are either 50 Hz, or 60 Hz. What is that used for, and which setting is best?

Secondly, I noticed on the main screen there is an "EV" setting. What is that also used for also? I have kept the "EV" setting at 0.0

Thanks!!

re: I noticed in the menu that there is a setting called "Light Frequency", and the choices are either 50 Hz, or 60 Hz. What is that used for, and which setting is best?

Best I can guess from the Chinese interpretation, the Light Frequency is really the utility power line/mains frequency. In the US the frequency should be 60Hz, in Europe and elsewhere it's more than likely 50Hz.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency

I have no idea about what EV is. I, too, am awaiting clarification on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
E.V i belive stands for exposure value. Minus underexpose plus overexpose.

The "Frequency " setting is to minimize flickering of any electric lights that are in the camera's field of vision. Most of Europe's electrical grid operates at a frequency of 50 Hertz (cycles per second) and North America is 60 Hz. Many types of electric lights flicker at the same rate as the frequency of the power grid. We don't notice it because human vision has a property known as "persistence of vision". Selecting the correct setting may minimize lights appearing to flicker in the recordings.

LED X-mas lights are usually half wave rectified, meaning that only half of the 60Hz sine wave of the power supply is used. That 60Hz flicker bothers me, so I bought full-wave rectified LED lights. They flicker slightly, but at 120Hz, so I don't notice it.

alsomme said:

I wonder if this is similar to adjusting the "white balance"?

Exposure Value (EV) changes may improve night recording. I don't drive much at night, but I'd love others to post about how different values affect the quality of night recordings.

RSole said:
The "Frequency " setting is to minimize flickering of any electric lights that are in the camera's field of vision. Most of Europe's electrical grid operates at a frequency of 50 Hertz (cycles per second) and North America is 60 Hz. Many types of electric lights flicker at the same rate as the frequency of the power grid. We don't notice it because human vision has a property known as "persistence of vision". Selecting the correct setting may minimize lights appearing to flicker in the recordings.

LED X-mas lights are usually half wave rectified, meaning that only half of the 60Hz sine wave of the power supply is used. That 60Hz flicker bothers me, so I bought full-wave rectified LED lights. They flicker slightly, but at 120Hz, so I don't notice it.

Thanks for this great post! It really explains it well. I would also like to hear about EV, and see what people have their settings at.

In daylight, I think an exposure value setting of 0.0 is nearly perfect.
Without having done so myself, at night, the higher the value,the more will seem visible if you're driving down a dark country road, but as soon as an oncoming car shines it's headlights into the lens, the entire scene would be washed out.

I wish the DVR207 had the "eclipse" feature that my KT&C, model KPC DNR700 cameras have. Headlights appear as black spots and license plates and other details are still visible.

The caption in the right view should read "Eclipse-ON"

Attachments

• eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 207
So is there any advantage buying a DVR207 over a DVR027?

Just received my DVR207 from estore009 yesterday. Amazing shipping time. One week from China to Kansas. I installed in my truck this afternoon. I will give it a run through tomorrow on the way to work and back. :D

RSole said:
In daylight, I think an exposure value setting of 0.0 is nearly perfect.
Without having done so myself, at night, the higher the value,the more will seem visible if you're driving down a dark country road, but as soon as an oncoming car shines it's headlights into the lens, the entire scene would be washed out.

I wish the DVR207 had the "eclipse" feature that my KT&C, model KPC DNR700 cameras have. Headlights appear as black spots and license plates and other details are still visible.

The caption in the right view should read "Eclipse-ON"

I wonder if this is something that can be added through firmware, or if it is only supported through specialized hardware/firmware. I love the idea of it and the results speak for themselves.

Personally I believe this could be achievable through firmware as long as the processor is up to the task. Just a case of displaying any overexposed areas as black instead of white.

I contacted estore009 and sent them the link to this thread. Here is the response:

Dear customer,

I saw the forum just now and I think It is not true.

There are several difference between old 027 and new 207:

1. 207 has much clearer and colorful video, which use better lens (you can see the video comparison in our listing )
  2. 207 has extra 1080*1440 (15FPS), 027 doesn't have the choice.
  3. 207 207 has 15fps/20fps/30fp, it is better fps setting.
  4. You can see recording time in 207 monitor, however, you can't do that in DVR027, you even don't know how long the recording records.
  5. You can set image size in 207, however, you can't do that in 027, there is no such option.
  6. 027 has better and stable firmware.

In a word, 207 has better video and the stable quality. It deserve extra USD 10.

And we are one of the biggest resellers of the factory, we reported the feedbacks from different buyers about DVR027 to the factory, they followed our suggestions and updated, produced better 207.

Please trust us, we have been selling car DVR in ebay for about 4 years and sold more than 100 different kinds of car cameras and know the value of different DVR.

So Our purchase cost of new DVR207 is higher than old DVR 027. That's the reason why 207 is higher.

Please trust us and your choice, new DVR207 is better :)

If you need any help when you use the camera, just be free to contact us, we are glad to help you.

Best regards
Vicky

-estore009

So they are not claiming a new processor, just a better lens and better firmware for the extra (?) $10.

As per DashCamMan:

"The DVR-027 is based on the Coach 10P Zoran ZR36482BGCF processor...
Note that a new model has been released, called the DVR-207. This dash cam is nearly identical but uses the newer Coach 12MDV ZR364249BGCG processor."

So no, it's not just a better lens and new firmware. In fact the lens may be the same or even inferior.. who knows?

Btw, the lens can always be upgraded or changed. If you crack the case open and are able to unscrew the lens (it may be glued or set-screwed), you could put a fish-eye or telephoto lens in instead. The board camera installed has a standard thread for that style of camera.

mkrubsack said:
alsomme said:

I wonder if this is similar to adjusting the "white balance"?

No the dvr camera uses automatic white balance i belive. No changing available

On regular digital camera its referred to AWB. But there you can change the settings and then setting the white balance.
Hence the name white balance.
You are choosing what the camera should recognise to be white in the picture :)

Back