Next version of Mobius?

10pin is used for extra's - usually data transferring or in our case GPS as well.

I assume the Mobius 2 seeing it has no GPS nor anything else like that, is using it just for data. 99.99% of the people will notice no difference.

Again I don't know their pin layout or anything but I currently see no reason except data for a 10pin layout for them.

Maybe there's some sort of RC functionality with video out?

VLC is an cross-platform multimedia player. How come you can't use it?

I have an older laptop, Intel dual core 2MHz, and files play fine on Windows media player, but VLC is stuttery as h@ll..... gives up after some time complete freezes my lappie....

pinout for gopro 10 pin

1. +5V
  2. USB data-
  3. USB data+
  4. ID (pull low to GND through resistor to activate pin 6-10, 100k for AV out and 330k for mic in).
  5. GND
  6. Mic input?
  7. Mic input?
  8. Video GND
  9. Video out
  10. Audio out

The mobius 2 PDF mention a fjew players / software that support H265

I remmeber: i have 2 files h265 in my laptop. I used to use this player to play it. :)
pinout for gopro 10 pin

1. +5V
  2. USB data-
  3. USB data+
  4. ID (pull low to GND through resistor to activate pin 6-10, 100k for AV out and 330k for mic in).
  5. GND
  6. Mic input?
  7. Mic input?
  8. Video GND
  9. Video out
  10. Audio out
Cool. As I imagine: I can pick pin 6, and pin 7 and make a mic external while I still charger the cam. :)
But how about the pin 4 ? what should we do with it ?

Last edited:
I have an older laptop, Intel dual core 2MHz, and files play fine on Windows media player, but VLC is stuttery as h@ll..... gives up after some time complete freezes my lappie....

I've had some stuttering with VLC too but when it comes to playing different codecs there is almost nothing else like it. Back when I had dash cams that shot in .AVI it was a lifesaver.

On the Mac there's a great free app called MPlayerX that also plays just about every format. I use it quite often for some things as it has great contrast/gamma and sharpness controls.

I am not 100% sure this is the layout of the gopros or the mobius 2, i just posted it sort of a guideline to what to expect 10 pins could be used for.

I have just been over all my USB plugs/wires i have with mini usb, and they all seem only to use the 5 pins, none of them look like the 10 pin plug in my post #319

I've had some stuttering with VLC too but when it comes to playing different codecs there is almost nothing else like it. Back when I had dash cams that shot in .AVI it was a lifesaver.

On the Mac there's a great free app called MPlayerX that also plays just about every format. I use it quite often for some things as it has great contrast/gamma and sharpness controls.

My older lappie did used to play with VLC, but then it remained closed for a wile, and then I re-used it, and installed newer version of VLC, I guess that's when it went down....

Nevertheless, still using it on my PC, works great, and you can take nice shots for later use, or just for fun you can change settings to make "art pictures" of any kind

My older lappie did used to play with VLC, but then it remained closed for a wile, and then I re-used it, and installed newer version of VLC, I guess that's when it went down....

Nevertheless, still using it on my PC, works great, and you can take nice shots for later use, or just for fun you can change settings to make "art pictures" of any kind

Those fun settings you like to play with can be invaluable for enhancing dash cam footage. For example, you can bring out a lot of detail in dark footage by lowering the gamma curve.

Those fun settings you like to play with can be invaluable for enhancing dash cam footage. For example, you can bring out a lot of detail in dark footage by lowering the gamma curve.

yeah, right, I know, I used that feature too many times to see what was actually happening....!

That was some of the stuff i was hoping to find in the manual PDF.

I'm trying to decide what I think of the new tripod mounting scheme on the M2. I guess I won't know until I start to use the camera. For dash cam use it will need some stealthifying. :)

I kind of preferred the slide in cradle we are all familiar with but since this is supposed to work as a heat sink it holds some interesting possibilities. Any sort of DIY metal plate or heat sink could be screwed directly onto the camera. There could be other DIY screw-on options as well.

BTW, Tom Franks mentioned on the M2 forum the possibility of a slide in mounting cradle eventually being made available, so we'll have to wait and see if that happens.

Anyway, this concept sort of makes me smile as it happens to be basically the same thing I came up with when I did my DIY Mobius Tube Cam and Mobius Eyeball Cam. Great minds think alike. :D

The reason I bring it up is that different styles of these inexpensive little 1/4-20 thread T-stands (sometimes also referred to as T-nuts) are widely available in many hardware stores and could be modified to fit with a little creative hole drilling. Some are available with four holes. They are not copper, of course, but they could open up some interesting, DIY mounting possibilities similar to what I've already created but that can now be attached directly to the camera. I'm assuming the official Mobius ones will be available after-market and we need to see what those will cost but I find it interesting that there is an applicable low cost generic mounting part available. I already have an idea for converting one of these T-stands into a slide-in mounting solution for the new M2.

These metal T-stands are not the only available generic parts of this nature available at the average well stocked hardware store. The fact that the new M2 offers a method for securely screwing parts to it opens up many intriguing DIY possibilities.

Mobiusmount.jpg

Hardware store T-stand.

T-stand.png

Note that the threaded column on the T-stand mounted on the lens
module has been shortened and the base has been shaped to fit.
remoteparts2.jpg

ponger3.jpg

Last edited:
Lens cable won't work.

That lens cable at best already has data bottling issues, and the new M2 will be using much more data. They currently don't have plans for a lens extension either - last time we asked anyway.

Why do you think it took GoPro so long? Not because they didn't see the market, but transferring 50mb per second by a cable and having ZERO loss in quality is not easy.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but not for a while, oh and it definitely won't be as cheap when it is done :)

From my understanding the lens module has a different ribbon cable, so certainly the old extension wouldn't work anyway regardless of data transfer.

My post above is only about using standard hardware store T-stands and other screw-in parts for mounting purposes, not the lens extension. Perhaps the inclusion of a lens extension in one of the above photos led to some confusion, so I've removed it.

From my understanding the lens module has a different ribbon cable, so certainly the old extension wouldn't work anyway regardless of data transfer.

My post above is only about using standard hardware store T-stands and other screw-in parts for mounting purposes, not the lens extension. Perhaps the inclusion of a lens extension in one of the above photos led to some confusion, so I've removed it.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Lens cable won't work.

That lens cable at best already has data bottling issues, and the new M2 will be using much more data. They currently don't have plans for a lens extension either - last time we asked anyway.

Why do you think it took GoPro so long? Not because they didn't see the market, but transferring 50mb per second by a cable and having ZERO loss in quality is not easy.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but not for a while, oh and it definitely won't be as cheap when it is done :)

use fiberglass...... sorry heat issues here....

summer-animated-animation-weather-smiley-emoticon-000399-large.gif

Does the lens extension cable deteriorate the video quality? I've ordered one along with the Mobius 1 for a rear DIY.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mobius 2 / M2 5
Back