Parking Mode General + Permanent Live vs. Switched

Im even more confused now.
My front and rear cameras only record parts of my journeys in 3min sections (default option)
Having read the handbook several times I have assumed this to be normal ie; only recording when activity close to the vehicle is detected.

But am I to understand that some of you have your cameras recording the whole of the journey from start to finish?
Or
Do your cameras record like mine? (In short sections)

Cam hardwired - NB kit piggy-backed to cigerette light fuse.

Im even more confused now.
My front and rear cameras only record parts of my journeys in 3min sections (default option)
Having read the handbook several times I have assumed this to be normal ie; only recording when activity close to the vehicle is detected.

But am I to understand that some of you have your cameras recording the whole of the journey from start to finish?
Or
Do your cameras record like mine? (In short sections)

Cam hardwired - NB kit piggy-backed to cigerette light fuse.

Hi @Mike J,

What you're describing is correct - none of us get one contiguous video file for a journey. It's split like this so

1/ The files aren't ridiculously large and difficult to work with (one two-minute clip for me at 1080p is over 700MB, so a 15 minute journey would be over 5GB per camera).
2/ Old files can be deleted when your card is full and replaced with newer clips without having to delete an entire journey.

The clip length option is where the length of these files is determined. Options are 2, 3 and 5 mins. I have mine set to 2 mins.

My cam was hard wired so powered all the time. I have other devices which use the GPS signal to start and stop the device recording.
Hi @patrick6822,

If you had a permanent live hardwire (ie dashcam received power even when the vehicle was switched off an unattended) then:

Parking Mode Off
Camera records constantly until your card is full and then overwrites as necessary.

Parking Mode On
Power is controlled by G-sensor. When motion is detected the camera turns on, starts recording and starts a 5 minute countdown which is reset at every subsequent motion detection. The G-sensor in parking mode, as a couple of us have mentioned, is extremely sensitive. Unless you're parked in a garage then chances are the end result would be exactly the same as parking mode off as an ant could trigger it, constantly restarting the 5 minute timer so the camera never actually turns off. If the vehicle spends 5 minutes completely still only then does the camera stop recording and turn off, but as soon as further motion is detected it turns straight back on.

If this wasn't the behaviour you observed then there must have been something wrong with your unit.

Hi @Mike J,

What you're describing is correct - none of us get one contiguous video file for a journey. It's split like this so

1/ The files aren't ridiculously large and difficult to work with (one two-minute clip for me at 1080p is over 700MB, so a 15 minute journey would be over 5GB per camera).
2/ Old files can be deleted when your card is full and replaced with newer clips without having to delete an entire journey.

The clip length option is where the length of these files is determined. Options are 2, 3 and 5 mins. I have mine set to 2 mins.

Thank you so much.
You have assured me that everything is running as normal and I will now activate the Parking Mode.
You have also saved Tiffany some work :giggle:

Tiffany,
My sticky pads arrived today, many thanks to you and the NB team.

Thank you so much.
You have assured me that everything is running as normal and I will now activate the Parking Mode.
You have also saved Tiffany some work :giggle:

Tiffany,
My sticky pads arrived today, many thanks to you and the NB team.
I'm yet to actually try using parking mode day-to-day. Since it's so sensitive I'm concerned about it filling my card with pointless files and ruining my battery. Although I'm yet to test myself whether or not this is the case the general consensus seems to be that it's more trouble than anything.

Hi @patrick6822,

If you had a permanent live hardwire (ie dashcam received power even when the vehicle was switched off an unattended) then:

Parking Mode Off
Camera records constantly until your card is full and then overwrites as necessary.

Parking Mode On
Power is controlled by G-sensor. When motion is detected the camera turns on, starts recording and starts a 5 minute countdown which is reset at every subsequent motion detection. The G-sensor in parking mode, as a couple of us have mentioned, is extremely sensitive. Unless you're parked in a garage then chances are the end result would be exactly the same as parking mode off as an ant could trigger it, constantly restarting the 5 minute timer so the camera never actually turns off. If the vehicle spends 5 minutes completely still only then does the camera stop recording and turn off, but as soon as further motion is detected it turns straight back on.

If this wasn't the behaviour you observed then there must have been something wrong with your unit.
Yes i completely understand how the G censor works and in each senario.,swiched power and permanent wired. I had the G censor set to low, this was because its a vw T5 camper van....just the wond was giving lots of false locked files. When i got in the van and drove the cam never came out of parking mode. I know the GPS is in the mount so why did the cam not switch on automatically when it detected the GPS was moving? the cam has power andand is only in sleep mode. ...the G censor wakes the cam up to record so why not have the software switch the cam on to driving mode when it detects the GPS signal moving??????

that would make it a great cam! This can be done as i have other devices that use this technique to switch between modes.
Patrick

My cam was hard wired so powered all the time. I have other devices which use the GPS signal to start and stop the device recording.
What other devices, what GPS device do you have that controls other devices?

What other devices, what GPS device do you have that controls other devices?

Hi Jacko,
I have a device that tracks my driving time, work time, the device knows i am moving by the built in GPS, it switches to driving mode when the GPS sees i am moving over 2MPH when i stop at lights or park for more than 15 seconds or my speed drops below 2MPH it switches back to work automatically by the end of my 13 hour day its accuracy is within 3 minuets of my trucks Tachograph for both working and driving. the only time i have to do anything manual is for my breaks, this disables the GPS connection till the break period is over and i switch it back to work mode, the manual press is so the device does not switch back to automatic mode if it gets moved or i took it out of the truck. this is not a device fitted to the truck its run on an old android Samsung tablet.
it should be possible for the software within a dash cam to work the same.

When my 512GW went into parking mode i had to remember to press the power button for it to start up and record a journey, i would have thought this cam would automatically start recording when i drove away, it didnt, it stayed asleep all the way home except for one protected file this file was from hitting a pot hole.

Maybe i didn't have it set up right, it was hard wired using the next base kit
i had the G censor set to low because medium and high would detect a gust of wind and do a capture, this led to 30 protected files the next morning Boo Hoo!

Apart from the issues above, i liked the camera!

Maybe i didn't have it set up right, it was hard wired using the next base kit
i had the G censor set to low because medium and high would detect a gust of wind and do a capture, this led to 30 protected files the next morning Boo Hoo!

Apart from the issues above, i liked the camera!

if it was hardwired to permanent power the parking mode doesn't work, you need to turn it off

What is the point of having the hard wire kit fitted then Jokiin?

their parking mode works of the internal battery, after power off it goes into a sleep state and will wake and record a short clip using the internal battery and then go back to sleep

their parking mode works of the internal battery, after power off it goes into a sleep state and will wake and record a short clip using the internal battery and then go back to sleep

So what your saying now there is no need to have it hardwired to a permanent live fuse/connection is that correct?

So what your saying now there is no need to have it hardwired to a permanent live fuse/connection is that correct?
Not for parking mode to work, no. The battery is good for about 30 mins of recording when new and fully charged.

The 412GW will record 24/7 if on permanently live without parking mode on.

Parking mode on on permanently live will power the Dash Cam off if no movement is detected.

Ignition live, it turns off with ignition and powers back on when movement is detected.

I wonder what an insurance company would say if a car was damaged by a fire caused because the dash cam had been wired up permanently live?
Especially as the recommended wiring is via an ignition switched scource.

Last edited:
Knowing insurance companies they would probably use it as a excuse to wriggle out of paying out on a claim.
Just renewed my car insurance, they will not give discount on front & rear dashcam, these few that do the premium is still higher than everywhere else.

I wonder what an insurance company would say if a car wasdamaged by a fire caused because the dash cam had been wired up permanently live?
Especially as the recommended wiring is via an ignition switched scource.

Unsure how this could happen - its drawing the same amount of current as leaving your hazards on, which the car is designed to perform faultlessly.

If you message me your email address @Auld Reekie I have a list of providers that do offer discounts.

Back