Parking Mode General + Permanent Live vs. Switched

Been following this thread with interest, with the power off settings in the menu set accordingly and hardwired to a permanent live fuse does this mean I do not need to have some sort of car battery cut off device to prevent drainng the car battery while on parking mode.

Correct. But the hardwire kit does detect low power to protect the car battery apparently.

Yes, the official NextBase Hardwire kit has an electronic cut off sensor that disconnects the supply to the Dash Cam if the car battery voltage falls to 11.2 volts. This is designed to protect the car battery from deep discharge and possible damage.

I bought mine from Halford last year and got them hardwire it for me, I'm now wondering if they put a cut off sensor in if it was included with the kit. Looks like Ill have to have a hunt for it around the fuse box area.

It should look like this.

The little black box contains the electronics to lower the car battery's 12 volts down to the Dash Cam's 5 volt supply. It also contains the cut off sensor electronics to protect the car battery.

155360a

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic Techifan,, will have a look at the fuse box behind glove compartment in the morning.

I accidentally left my camera on parking mode after a quick test. I have 3 hours of 15 sec footage through out the night.

Are we sure it runs for 2 mins on swtiched live?
In my testing I’ve found that with a switched live it ran for 3:05 before turning off. Permanent live ran for 5:09. Obviously the countdown gets reset if it detects further motion while recording.

In my testing I’ve found that with a switched live it ran for 3:05 before turning off. Permanent live ran for 5:09. Obviously the countdown gets reset if it detects further motion while recording.
Stupidly formatted so will test later

I guess switched live isn't a good set up for parking as it will constantly drain the battery which isn't good for lipo batteries as I understand.

Re heading 'Permanent Live w/ Parking Mode On' When parked and in sleep mode is there less of a current drain on the car battery? I expect the hardwire will still detect a drop in voltage and protect the car battery.

Yes it draws 2.9mA from the car so almost nothing.

Thanks for posting that very useful information Tiffany.
Yes, indeed flea power.:)

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have just sent my 512gw back, this is due to the poor integration of the parking mode.

Why should i have to touch the cam to get it to wake up from parking mode when i start driving? this cam has built in GPS, it should auto wake and switch to record when the cam detects movement from the GPS.
I have apps on my phone for monitoring my HGV driving and working hours, this switches form driving to working automatically when the app detects movement!

I am very disappointed!

regards
Patrick

GPS is not a good indicator of precise movement.
If you make a recording when the car is stationary you may see the Lat/Long number flicking up and down (as mine does)
Further the US GPS system is sometimes used for military purposes which means they can/will 'adjust' settings or satellites to suit specific requirements.

Have not used Parking Mode as yet, but plan to switch it on today for a trial.

Hi @patrick6822,

Parking mode uses the built-in G-sensor (not GPS) to detect movement in the car. It's super sensitive, shifting in your seat or a running engine would set it off! As such in normal driving the motion would keep the unit recording constantly. It's only after 5 mins of absolutely no activity that the camera would stop recording - there shouldn't be any need to touch the device and wake it up.

Im confused...

Do I have to activate Parking Mode each time I leave the car? (To stop it recording constantly)
Or
Can I leave Parking Mode permanently ON and it will activate itself when I leave the car?

Advice please.

I find parking mode poo. Opening the door triggers this.

I have also found my Unit battery is always flat. I constantly get the low power indicator

Im confused...

Do I have to activate Parking Mode each time I leave the car? (To stop it recording constantly)
Or
Can I leave Parking Mode permanently ON and it will activate itself when I leave the car?

Advice please.

The 512GW can't tell if you've left the car, it detects vibration.
Turn parking mode on, leave it on permanently.
If there's no power (ignition off) and the battery's not flat then it won't record until it detects vibration/movement.
Turn ignition on and start the engine and it will record normally.
Try this... If you turn off the engine but leave the ignition on and keep still it continue to record for 5 mins (I think 5) then will go into sleep mode. If you then tap the camera it will wake up and start recording again.

Hi @patrick6822,

Parking mode uses the built-in G-sensor (not GPS) to detect movement in the car. It's super sensitive, shifting in your seat or a running engine would set it off! As such in normal driving the motion would keep the unit recording constantly. It's only after 5 mins of absolutely no activity that the camera would stop recording - there shouldn't be any need to touch the device and wake it up.

I think you have missed my point about the GPS.....i understand completely about how the parking G cen
Hi @patrick6822,

When the cam has been in parking mode.....i would have expected it to know the car is moving as i drive and automatically swith to record, this is not the case....i got in my car after work drove home, when i looked at the footage it had not recorded any of the journey home....it did capture a pothole that jared the car.
I would have thought the camera would sence from the GPS that the car was now moving and swich to constantly record.
The GPS is built in the part of the clip where the power is and not the camera. It should be able to detect automatically that the car is moving and not parked.

Patrick

I think you have missed my point about the GPS.....i understand completely about how the parking G cen

When the cam has been in parking mode.....i would have expected it to know the car is moving as i drive and automatically swith to record, this is not the case....i got in my car after work drove home, when i looked at the footage it had not recorded any of the journey home....it did capture a pothole that jared the car.
I would have thought the camera would sence from the GPS that the car was now moving and swich to constantly record.
The GPS is built in the part of the clip where the power is and not the camera. It should be able to detect automatically that the car is moving and not parked.

Patrick

Hi @patrick6822,

The camera normally uses its power cable to determine whether you're driving or not. If it's getting power from the vehicle then it starts recording. When the power is interrupted, it stops. This represents a much more reliable method of discerning whether you're driving or not. Did you have the camera wired/plugged in or were you running off the battery? The behaviour you're describing doesn't sound right to me, perhaps a fautly unit and you did the right thing returning it.

Patrick
Then the unit is faulty

Hi @patrick6822,

The camera normally uses its power cable to determine whether you're driving or not. If it's getting power from the vehicle then it starts recording. When the power is interrupted, it stops. This represents a much more reliable method of discerning whether you're driving or not. Did you have the camera wired/plugged in or were you running off the battery? The behaviour you're describing doesn't sound right to me, perhaps a fautly unit and you did the right thing returning it.
My cam was hard wired so powered all the time. I have other devices which use the GPS signal to start and stop the device recording.

Back