Pier28 Early Adopter Beta Pilot Program - A7 Rearview Mirror Dual Channel DVR Manual or Auto Dimming

Is a Pier28 Rearview Mirror DVR Replacement a Good Stealth "DashCam" Installation Option?

• Yes (no more worrying about smash and grab window break-ins!)

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • No (I'd rather have a hidden DVR with "remote lens" option)

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters
If the Scion mount is the same as regular Toyota mounts you'd be fine, it's the most common mount type

Love the idea of replacing the whole rear view mirror and I miss the auto dimming feature as it is not on my current vehicle. If you are interested in testers from the UK then I may be interested (prices depending). I have a 2010 Citroen C4 so it should be one of the PSA mounts (not sure which at the moment though).

Vince

Love the idea of replacing the whole rear view mirror and I miss the auto dimming feature as it is not on my current vehicle. If you are interested in testers from the UK then I may be interested (prices depending). I have a 2010 Citroen C4 so it should be one of the PSA mounts (not sure which at the moment though).

Vince

Hi Vince, Thanks for the message. Please send your contact details, (forum handle name) and photos of your mirror to support@pier28.com. (we like to triple check your mirror is compatible)

Very interested in this one, as I need a mirror solution as well for a custom classic car I'm building. Mounting isn't an issue since it will be custom mounted anyway.

Message sent through website.

I'm eagerly awaiting release of this. I have a 2012 Ford Focus and really wish it had a back-up camera, and would like a front-facing camera as well. This appears to be head and shoulders above everything else I've seen out there.

Update: After fixing GPS logging and a few other minor things, we are expecting new factory samples to arrive next week. We will have more updates on this by the end of the month. We expect things to start moving along in October!

Very interested in this one, as I need a mirror solution as well for a custom classic car I'm building. Mounting isn't an issue since it will be custom mounted anyway.

Message sent through website.

Sounds good, welcome to the forum, stand by the perfect stealthy mirror option for your classic car(s)

I'm late to the party, but PM sent about beta!

Not too late at all, right on time.

I'm eagerly awaiting release of this. I have a 2012 Ford Focus and really wish it had a back-up camera, and would like a front-facing camera as well. This appears to be head and shoulders above everything else I've seen out there.

Thanks for your interest !

Reactions: Mtz
holy heck pier, I did not know about this product. I would love to try it out even when you are charging for it. If you need anymore testers I can send you my info. this sounds awesome. loved the video too.

holy heck pier, I did not know about this product. I would love to try it out even when you are charging for it. If you need anymore testers I can send you my info. this sounds awesome. loved the video too.

Welcome to the program ;)
I should have an update on where things are by next week. The gears are slowly turning!

oh crap.... I think I got to excited too soon. I forgot that this would likely interfere with my blackvue 650. i know everyone here except maybe alexsols and i are blackvue haters haha but I still have a soft spot for them. I may be able to just move it, but I will have to get back to you on that since I am testing the 650 and had planned on using in permanently. I am sure i can make it work though.

Hey DVR Mirror enthusiasts, I wanted to give a quick update. We were way off predicting when the new samples would arrive.

The updated test units got delayed, they will arrive after the national holiday in Asia going on. Things should finally be moving much faster by next week. We will have THREE internal testing units in action at the same time. (no early adopter customers yet)

We want don't want to rush anything but are moving as quickly as possible.

Stand by to Stand by!

I must say I'm attracted to the idea of buying from a US-based company (as opposed to Szenchen)

Seems like Jon's products are still from Shenzhen and/or other parts of PRC, while he's based in CA. Not that it's bad, it just reflects the fact that most car cams nowadays are made in PRC. There are certainly some designed outside of PRC and made there, while there are some made in Taiwan & South Korea (and may I add, quite good ones but at higher prices especially the Korean ones).

For my wishlist, I would like a rear view mirror car dvr with WDR, and the lens to be at a lower position due to my anti-glare strip across the top of the windscreen :)

Definitely waiting for the rearview mirror to arrive. It's that time of the year when we're driving to & from work in the dark, hope the auto-dimming feature works well.

Quality very good. I like this but set-up not easy

Definitely waiting for the rearview mirror to arrive. It's that time of the year when we're driving to & from work in the dark, hope the auto-dimming feature works well.
Couldn't agree more. Having to drive to and from work in the dark is highlighting just how many badly adjust headlights there are on cars here in the UK. Looking forwards to installing one of these and seeing how well they work.

Good news we will be skipping the single channel A7 DVR and jumping right to the dual channel edition. (2 full size SD slots) More details will follow after next week. We have 5 samples on the way for immediate internal testing. Sorry for the delay but we only want to bring this out when we are confident it is ready for prime time. Progress has been made. Internal GPS was unreliable and will now be an external plug-in module. The overall shape and auto dimming functions look the same as before. The new Ambarella A7 SDK menu layout has many more features. (Both HDR and WDR)

Brilliant news! I have been following this thread and I'm seriously interested in this idea of a dashcam, will most likely purchase it once it out for sale. Even though the set-up seems a bit complicated I'm pretty confident I will figure everything out. Honestly, that's a part of the fun to me. Now to my issue. My current car, a Seat, has its original rear mirror mount going straight up, attached to the ceiling, not to the windscreen. Any ideas about this? Will there be a self-adhesive (that really stays!) mount-option available for sticking it to the windscreen, too? I mean, without using any other already existing mounts??

Back