Pier28 Early Adopter Beta Pilot Program - A7 Rearview Mirror Dual Channel DVR Manual or Auto Dimming

Is a Pier28 Rearview Mirror DVR Replacement a Good Stealth "DashCam" Installation Option?

• Yes (no more worrying about smash and grab window break-ins!)

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • No (I'd rather have a hidden DVR with "remote lens" option)

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters
I agree, believe me we wish we had 100's of happy customers right now.
We'd rather have 100's of happy customers a few months later than planned. The thought of 100's of unhappy customers because something was released too early is not a good vision.

The one thing I do not like about the design is the camera lens. It sticks forward a bit to much. For myself a mirror cam should be almost invisible to those looking at your car or truck. I might be wrong but that lens looks like it sticks out far enough so it would be noticed.

How will map updates be obtained? What will the price for map updates be? What do you plan on using for map software? Whatever magellan uses for map programming is something I would never accept. Changes made to roads a decade ago were still on their GPS map data. And worse roads that have been there since the 1970's or maybe even 1960's are missing. This is one of the most critical parts of any GPS having accurate map data.

Will this record from the (optional) rear view camera while driving down the road? Having been hit from behind once while sitting still that feature could be useful.

Can the video display be turned off completely by default after maybe 5-15 seconds to verify the recorder is working when not in reverse?

If this is going to be a mail order item you might make things like map lights optional. A black plastic piece would be in the base model instead of the extra cost extras.

I might be interested in one of these but it would have to be easily taken from my mercury grand marquis to my dodge truck. Both use a button on the mirror for a mount.

1. The one thing I do not like about the design is the camera lens. It sticks forward a bit to much. For myself a mirror cam should be almost invisible to those looking at your car or truck. I might be wrong but that lens looks like it sticks out far enough so it would be noticed.

2. How will map updates be obtained? What will the price for map updates be? What do you plan on using for map software? Whatever magellan uses for map programming is something I would never accept. Changes made to roads a decade ago were still on their GPS map data. And worse roads that have been there since the 1970's or maybe even 1960's are missing. This is one of the most critical parts of any GPS having accurate map data.

3. Will this record from the (optional) rear view camera while driving down the road? Having been hit from behind once while sitting still that feature could be useful.

4. Can the video display be turned off completely by default after maybe 5-15 seconds to verify the recorder is working when not in reverse?

5. If this is going to be a mail order item you might make things like map lights optional. A black plastic piece would be in the base model instead of the extra cost extras.

6. I might be interested in one of these but it would have to be easily taken from my mercury grand marquis to my dodge truck. Both use a button on the mirror for a mount.

have numbered these to make it easier

1. needs to be that way to get adequate field of view around the mount etc, not easy to notice once installed

2. there are no maps

3. some versions will be dual channel

4. yes

5. there are a few options like this

6. won't happen, these are hard wired and meant to be mounted permanently, different vehicles have different mounts also

Thanks Jokiin. (answered everything nicely) Just to add my own extra bit:

1) It looks terrible in photos (not installed) but once installed you don't even see it really. You don't see it from the outside either black on black plus glare of window = invisible.

2) there is no GPS navigation, Logged GPS data for use with playback software: http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

3) yes the version we are looking to bring out will be dual channel (FULL HD WDR front, Standard Backup Camera/DVR combo in the back)

4) yes, all the options you want will be available

5) I'm looking into adding map lights, hope to make these an option in the near future. It's possible for sure, but will come a bit later most likely

6) not recommended, You won't want to keep unscrewing the set screw to move it from car to car. If you need two, I recommend getting two. The cannon plug is easy to unplug I guess if you had two harnesses but I can't see this being practical at all because of the set screw.

Last edited:
Looks very nice, I would get one if it wasn't beta.

Any night footage yet?

We should be able to post some raw samples by next week, waiting for updated samples from our factory. Things are picking up speed again finally after a few delays.

Hey everyone Good news, Dual Channel DVR Mirror internal testing is moving forward once again. (not ready for early adopters just yet)

I thought I'd post something real quick. Here is a bit of a teaser. (screen shots of front/back) We'll post more details, RAW videos, and menu walk throughs this month!

The SD cards are on the top. Left side = Rear, Right side = Front
New Remote buttons are so much easier to use.
Once installed, you don't even notice the small front camera sticking out from both inside (can't see it while seated) or outside (black on black blends seamlessly) Mega-Stealthy

RGamMyel.jpg

Front:

gqNVRKZ.png

Rear (the rear test camera I have needs to have it's hard coded cmos lines disabled, recorded lines won't be normal in the future)
bxJ9wfG.png

Question. I have an Audi A4 - which has a stock auto dimming rear view mirror and side mirrors. The side mirrors I believe interface with the rear view mirror to enable the auto dimming. I'm thinking the answer is no, but will your product also be able to interface with Audi's side view mirrors to allow the auto dimming feature to work just like stock?

Question. I have an Audi A4 - which has a stock auto dimming rear view mirror and side mirrors. The side mirrors I believe interface with the rear view mirror to enable the auto dimming. I'm thinking the answer is no, but will your product also be able to interface with Audi's side view mirrors to allow the auto dimming feature to work just like stock?

That sounds like some proprietary Audi thing. this mirror won't be ideal for those with advanced special mirrors that already have technology built-in like that. (That they don't want disabled)

Keep the teasers coming!!

Here are some RAW video examples. (note GPS was not hooked up, so no GPS data until my next posts)
These are early proof tests from one of our hand made samples.

Front:
Day:
https://mega.co.nz/#!aMJ0FJZR!8i496z92rVlZjN9iGVd0bXFldJvlq5xzdv62FnI5qlY
Night:
https://mega.co.nz/#!eYADRQCA!PXh8Q5RYhSmSpahlaOXqmWEPjI_cLcQQ8s0SJeA0Mss

CBR 15Mbps
NjvjiNR.png

Rear Backup DVR D1 Camera:
(I have a better one to try soon, and need to play with EV settings more this is a very rough draft test)
https://mega.co.nz/#!iVZEDBZD!fIfhGAM5QWNdNaaZJSzGv6BeskTOWk3iwq4T9i0SHLs
upload_2015-1-27_18-7-32.png

There is quite a bit of internal testing that needs to be worked through before we are ready for early adopters. Proving PCB/Power Supply Stability is job #1 and we can go from there.
I just want to keep people interested in this epic journey :)
Stand by to Stand by as usual,

I'm new here but if the beta price is right I'm interested in one of these for my wife's car. It's a 2010 Ford Flex. Real basic mirror in those things.

I'm new here but if the beta price is right I'm interested in one of these for my wife's car. It's a 2010 Ford Flex. Real basic mirror in those things.

Hi welcome to the club,
Please send your car info with photos of the mirror, and mirror stem mount base near the window to support@pier28.com
I'll confirm nothing funny is going on, should be straight forward standard mount. I'll tag your email for future updates as well.
~Jon

Oh and one suggestion: Would it be possible to bubble the housing around the lens? I might have missed it, but is the lens movable? The lens at this point kind of looks like an afterthought. I love the concept though!

I'm up the road in Sacramento and we go to San Fran about once a month.

Oh and one suggestion: Would it be possible to bubble the housing around the lens? I might have missed it, but is the lens movable? The lens at this point kind of looks like an afterthought. I love the concept though!

I'm up the road in Sacramento and we go to San Fran about once a month.

Lens is movable as Jokiin confirmed. It looks totally normal once it's installed. You can't see it from the outside very easily black on black blends in. You don't any of the lens when seated from both driver and passenger seats. It only looks funky when removed outside of the car in photos. :)

If you're in San Francisco I'm happy to show you on in person when things are a bit further along. (or demo any of our other products as well)

Hi welcome to the club,
Please send your car info with photos of the mirror, and mirror stem mount base near the window to support@pier28.com
I'll confirm nothing funny is going on, should be straight forward standard mount. I'll tag your email for future updates as well.
~Jon
I too would be interested in the beta. How can I take part, and what is the beta price?

Back