Pier28 Early Adopter Beta Pilot Program - A7 Rearview Mirror Dual Channel DVR Manual or Auto Dimming

Is a Pier28 Rearview Mirror DVR Replacement a Good Stealth "DashCam" Installation Option?

• Yes (no more worrying about smash and grab window break-ins!)

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • No (I'd rather have a hidden DVR with "remote lens" option)

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters
Brilliant news! I have been following this thread and I'm seriously interested in this idea of a dashcam, will most likely purchase it once it out for sale. Even though the set-up seems a bit complicated I'm pretty confident I will figure everything out. Honestly, that's a part of the fun to me. Now to my issue. My current car, a Seat, has its original rear mirror mount going straight up, attached to the ceiling, not to the windscreen. Any ideas about this? Will there be a self-adhesive (that really stays!) mount-option available for sticking it to the windscreen, too? I mean, without using any other already existing mounts??

We have adapters available for almost every make/model car out there. (even the complex drop down ceiling brackets) Please send your year/make/model car and photos of the mirror / mirror base-arm to support {(AT)} pier28.com
We also have a generic flat button mount you can glue to the windshield directly as well. I've tested several glues and know which one works best too.
~Jon

You make a very good point that I haven't thought. WiFi SD card !.

Is the rear camera still going to function as a backup camera as well ? Personally, I was looking forward to that feature as I don't have one now. And I must admit I'm feeling a bit leery of the auto dimming feature. Will it still be available as a manual dimming mirror ? I'm starting to think this project will have too many bells & whistles for my taste.

Last edited:
Is the rear camera still going to function as a backup camera as well ? Personally, I was looking forward to that feature as I don't have one now. And I must admit I'm feeling a bit leery of the auto dimming feature. Will it still be available as a manual dimming mirror ?

Yes rear camera will double duty as backup camera and DVR. Front will be FULL HD rear will remain VGA.

Yes manual dimming will still be available :-)

Is the rear camera still going to function as a backup camera as well ? Personally, I was looking forward to that feature as I don't have one now. And I must admit I'm feeling a bit leery of the auto dimming feature. Will it still be available as a manual dimming mirror ? I'm starting to think this project will have too many bells & whistles for my taste.

having driven 100s of k miles with a 7 inch mirror mount monitor permanantly showing my rear day and night not 2 feet from my face - i can assure all you dont even notice it there and you certainly dont need auto dipping as dipped lights behind at night dont cause a problem...

Just everyone who hasnt used one assumes it will !!!

Max. resolution for rear camera is VGA?
If not, what are the combinations (front+rear)?

enjoy,
Mtz

Front 1080P 30 WDR (same lens/sensor specs as single channel)

Rear is any backup camera you want to use. (Standard VGA). Basically it's the same back up camera the other single channel models had but this time it is recorded to a secondary SD card via 2nd channel DVR.
AVI

I am asking because I saw on Aliexpress some A7LA70D which are advertising two fullHD channels and I don't know if this chipset support this.
I think new dashcam products should start at least with the OV4689 sensor.

enjoy,
Mtz

We aren't able to design the whole thing from scratch just yet unfortunately but we will do the best we can with what's available for launch.

In description I saw OV2710 + OV2710 so I expected better CMOS.

enjoy,
Mtz

SVsedpu.png

+ GPS

I read some guys are saying too many features. I say: more features!

Add outside air temp and a compass display like the gntx-261 auto dim mirror in my sierra and it would be almost perfect!

Actually, a couple "video in ports" would also be cool. One for a rear looking camera for backing up and one for a high mount rear camera for looking down when hooking up the growled or backing up tight to something like a wall.

Heck, just a couple video in ports for whatever the heck a guy wants! :)

Let's chuck a decent speaker and mic in there with some Bluetooth and make it a hands free device too!

Yeah, I know...all pie in the sky and it would be reaaaallly expensive.....:(

Last edited:
Here is a raw video sample of front and rear from our team testing over seas. I'm still waiting for the California samples to ship, more tweaks happening first.

Front
https://mega.co.nz/#!6JxEgTAY!1PXSuQsGDjCQ9yJCkE0SF7BP78akHeK09y1FOs0_01c

Rear:
https://mega.co.nz/#!PARCALBI!n2l3FYAdJiMkOJHPTx1ylPrKLRKcQnQpQdmdlN3y6s0

Front looks great as expected

Rear is just standard VGA like the backup camera in previous models but at least it's recorded now. (still helpful). The rear VGA contrast and brightness is too high for daytime but will make night look better. This is adjustable of course. It's not tuned right at all in this example but thought I'd share so people know what to expect in the backup camera side.

Back