Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD

Moon_Wolf said:
I ran today's drive in 1080 mode. Tomorrow I will run it in 720 mode and see how much difference there is.

You can also try with different video compression settings. As I read in Russian forum, "normal" mode records about 7,5 mbps, when "high" compression rate records at 5 mbps, but uses at the same time CABAC. CABAC can compress videos up to 30% without losing in quality. So basicly "normal" and "high" should give similar result, only "high" gives larger SD card capacity. Haven`t tried myself yet though.

linni said:
Moon_Wolf said:
I ran today's drive in 1080 mode. Tomorrow I will run it in 720 mode and see how much difference there is.

You can also try with different video compression settings. As I read in Russian forum, "normal" mode records about 7,5 mbps, when "high" compression rate records at 5 mbps, but uses at the same time CABAC. CABAC can compress videos up to 30% without losing in quality. So basicly "normal" and "high" should give similar result, only "high" gives larger SD card capacity. Haven`t tried myself yet though.

So does "normal" give the best quality? I don't need lots on capacity, I will only look at the video if something cool happens and that will be way before it over rights the old file.....

Normal gives the best quality of the options available.

Normal should give the best quality, but recorded yesterday and today two clips, same road, normal and high compression. Compared with 4 different videoprograms, couldn`t notice any difference. Difference would appear, if we could increase the bitrate at least to 9 - 10 MBps.

One more interesting thing - occures the wifi is N capable, but out of box it only works in G mode. Russians managed to hack the wifi module and achieved higher transfer speeds.

you need to add ;)
config.ini

onstart=1
ap_11n=1

helper said:
you need to add ;)
config.ini

onstart=1
ap_11n=1

Yeah, just read about it ;)
Will give a try tomorrow.

Onstart - actually you can change the value in device settings (wifi on or off by default), so no need to tweak it.

Ok Update on my bad quality videos...Advanced In-Car Technologies supplied me with a new camera in replace of the old. Thanks Guys for the quick turnaround. You have been fantastic :D

Remember the old camera video... well here it is. Old Camera Video

Here are 2 videos using the new camera:
1. For comparison using the same car and road but this time it was raining a little. You will see the video is far better than the video using the old camera. Old Video quoted above.

2. Here is another random video in town which will show that the quality with the new camera has definately improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. When I add that line to enable N band I am not able to view video clips from the camera. I can view the live feed but when I try and view recordings, it just hangs at loading.

Hi Des,

Your new camera is performing better than the old one. However I noticed that videos are still a bit pixelated. Pittasoft should really just allow the bitrate to be adjustable. The 7.5 Mbps seems to be too low for this camera.

horsepower said:
Weird. When I add that line to enable N band I am not able to view video clips from the camera. I can view the live feed but when I try and view recordings, it just hangs at loading.

How did you edit the file? Use freeware Notepad++ instead of stock Windows`s Notepad.

Des said:
Ok Update on my bad quality videos...Advanced In-Car Technologies supplied me with a new camera in replace of the old. Thanks Guys for the quick turnaround. You have been fantastic :D

1. For comparison using the same car and road but this time it was raining a little. You will see the video is far better than the video using the old camera. Old Video quoted above.

2. Here is another random video in town which will show that the quality with the new camera has definately improved.

I still have the 400 MK 1 and I was thinking of updating to the new 500 but looking at the quality of the videos I will not be doing this very soon as it is very bad? The town one you can not read the number plate of that white van at all? Why ? have you set it to low quality ? I know with my one it is JUST possible,

I have made many videos but there used as part of the DSA ADI company I am with so are copyrighted as they are used as part of the hazard test for the company and are not the real DSA test, and the quality is 50% much more clear if not more, I have had it now for 2 years it is running 24/7 365, i have had only 1SD 32gig card fail, yes it has been drilled and sliced same as the new 500 but this was done 2 years ago for the heating problem they had,

So I am now stuck I was looking to get even better quality videos but still having a 9hr plus recording and park mode with motion censer, hope there will be a 600 that has all the problems fixed, or is it time to move on? Yes price is a problem as it has to be less than £300.00.

justice said:
I still have the 400 MK 1 and I was thinking of updating to the new 500 but looking at the quality of the videos I will not be doing this very soon as it is very bad? The town one you can not read the number plate of that white van at all? Why ? have you set it to low quality ? I know with my one it is JUST possible,

those video samples don't look great but I know YouTube messes with the results so hard to know what it's like really, as I understand it they dropped the bitrate in the newer models so perhaps a bit of a drop in quality as a result

justice said:
So I am now stuck I was looking to get even better quality videos but still having a 9hr plus recording and park mode with motion censer, hope there will be a 600 that has all the problems fixed, or is it time to move on? Yes price is a problem as it has to be less than £300.00.

quality is going to need a higher bitrate so getting 9 hours might be a problem, understand you can't share your videos but if I give you a link can you have a look at a sample and let me know how it compares?

Did testing today. Same road again, same roadsigns. I really cannot make any difference between 1080p uncompressed and 720p compressed video. Which means that overall video quality is not the best. Lots of tiny pixeling. We need higher bitrate.
Tweaked wifi to N standard. Now the speed is 72 mbps instead of 54 mbps and the connection and downloading is slightly faster. Using FTP to download.

justice said:
Des said:

I have made many videos but there used as part of the DSA ADI company I am with so are copyrighted as they are used as part of the hazard test for the company and are not the real DSA test, and the quality is 50% much more clear if not more, I have had it now for 2 years it is running 24/7 365, i have had only 1SD 32gig card fail, yes it has been drilled and sliced same as the new 500 but this was done 2 years ago for the heating problem they had,

Cam is set to highest quality at normal compression setting. I have not tried the 400 MK 1 but happy that its better quality than my 1st 500... at least its fit for purpose IMO ;)

Ok yea maybe it runs at a lower bitrate, but its only a matter of time before pittasoft release an update that will allow a better bitrate... surely :idea: :?: :eek:

I wouldn't cross my fingers on getting a legitimate firmware update from Pittasoft. They appear to be very paranoid and upset about people buying cameras directly from Korea and have not publicly released an English firmware to "punish" those purchasers. I would be very surprised if an English firmware, let alone an English firmware with adjustable bit rate is released soon. Unfortunately, Pittasoft and many of the Korean manufacturers, are not very savvy when it comes to customer relations!

DashCamMan said:
I wouldn't cross my fingers on getting a legitimate firmware update from Pittasoft. They appear to be very paranoid and upset about people buying cameras directly from Korea and have not publicly released an English firmware to "punish" those purchasers. I would be very surprised if an English firmware, let alone an English firmware with adjustable bit rate is released soon. Unfortunately, Pittasoft and many of the Korean manufacturers, are not very savvy when it comes to customer relations!

As far as I understood, firmware for 500 is developed in a way that officially you cannot override korean firmware with english one.

linni said:
Did testing today. Same road again, same roadsigns. I really cannot make any difference between 1080p uncompressed and 720p compressed video. Which means that overall video quality is not the best. Lots of tiny pixeling. We need higher bitrate.
Tweaked wifi to N standard. Now the speed is 72 mbps instead of 54 mbps and the connection and downloading is slightly faster. Using FTP to download.

How did you use FTP? Can you let me know please? I've been trying to get this to work?

wizy said:
How did you use FTP? Can you let me know please? I've been trying to get this to work?

FTP server in Blackvue is switched on by default. I use program called Total Commander, but also you can just type into your browser window ftp://192.168.8.1/, and voila, it`s done.
NB! You have to be connected wirelessly to Blackvue, of course.

linni said:
As far as I understood, firmware for 500 is developed in a way that officially you cannot override korean firmware with english one.
Maybe you have more information from the russians forums.
I expect just the firmware name to be different for the english version compared to the korean.
But if they want to protect the english firmware is possible to not have official firmware updates for english version because if leaked on internet it can be hacked (maybe just changing the filename?) or extracting the english voices and put them in the korean firmware.
It is not correct for the english firmware users which paid very much compared to the korean versions to not have firmware updates.
If russians have a lot of cameras purchased from korea they will find the way. They are many, smart, and interested to give their work to other people because are not selfish.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back