Pre-orders

I'm curious to know more about the mount @jokiin mentioned in post #187.

I certainly understand the challenges and expenses involved in bringing a new camera like this market and understand why a proprietary mount may not be in the original budget. I guess I agree with @Gabacho's comments in that the mount as it is seems a bit like an afterthought being procured perhaps haphazardly from a supplier of generic Chinese dash cam mounts. It seems to me that a highly engineered, quality camera of this nature deserves its own high quality, specifically dedicated mount engineered and provided by JooVuu. Like I've said previously, I don't think such a mount needs to reinvent the wheel, it just needs to look and perform in a way that matches the solid and stealthy nature of the camera, have three axis of adjustment and be low profile. The fact is that all of the 12 options for a mount presented here are compromises in one way or another to some degree. I think #4 is the closest but it's not quite there because the center post is quite long.

At least with a tripod threaded mount you can always go with something else later. Hopefully, sometime in the not too distant future after the sales start generating enough funds that Dan might see the merit in providing a dedicated yet simple and straightforward mount like we've been discussing that checks all the appropriate boxes.

OKay, just because I can...lets bring the....what mount should we supply debate back...here's our final contender list.

Please just write the number of the mount you prefer. There's 12 to choose from.

Cheers,

Dan

Suction mounts as the main priority.
Multi-adjustable as a second priority, because once adhesive is stuck you may need a little wiggle room in all directions.

On truck windows mounts like number 3 won't have enough adjustment.
On car windows like number 4 won't have enough adjustment.

Although mount number 7 is very similar to what I'd like (except with a suction cup), I still have concerns about experiencing subsequent issues magnetic interference and other devices.

So in order of preference....

6 (but it's a very big clumsy mount; there are better suction mounts which will fit many vehicle windscreens - such as the mount the Cobra 820 uses and which I pictured earlier in this topic and re-posted at the bottom of this reply)
7 (JooVuu's magnet)

But of all the mounts I've ever seen, I want this one, which should have enough adjustment and windscreen clearance for virtually all vehicles:

-

That's why letting users create their own bundle is probably the best. Let them chose the power (hard wire or cig. lighter, GPS yes/no, and mount) Right now I will have to spend $20 - $50 for additional stuff and end with bunch of accessories I don't need.

I think only the enthusiasts like us on here would want a pick-and-mix. Most people just want an 'off the shelf' kit. Give them too much choice and they won't know which choice to make, so will buy something else.
You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time. So you just have to go with what the masses are likely to want - just as politicians do.

Mounts can be improved/added still in the future. Since the design budget is tight not sure it's wise or possible to pay a huge amount of money for a new mold right out the gate. (Very pricey). I'd like all resources spent on making the camera itself tuned up tight. It would be nice to try and pick something that covers the widest audience possible though for sure. Since it's a universal tripod mount, other specialty mounts can be optional accessories if needed.

Just to tackle this ridiculous mis-conception of us choosing the mount as an after-thought....we've been testing this camera since June...so unless 4 months worth of testing is an after thought then yeah it is...how do you think we attach the camera to the camera...why do you think all of the videos so far I've uploaded have slightly different views because I have about 6 mounts lined up on my windscreen. If you want my honest opinion, we had 37 mounts originally to choose from, how do you think we got it down to 12? Just gambled and picked a few? After you have seen the work we have put into this camera do you honestly think the part about mounting the camera to the windshield is going to be an 'afterthought?'

I think only the enthusiasts like us on here would want a pick-and-mix. Most people just want an 'off the shelf' kit. Give them too much choice and they won't know which choice to make, so will buy something else.
You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time. So you just have to go with what the masses are likely to want - just as politicians do.

Right. But there could always be a "default" bundle (cig. lighter power + GPS and suction cup mount, 32G card) This would "work" out of the box for everyone. Note I added the SD card to make it truly plug and play.

Just to tackle this ridiculous mis-conception of us choosing the mount as an after-thought....we've been testing this camera since June...so unless 4 months worth of testing is an after thought then yeah it is...how do you think we attach the camera to the camera...why do you think all of the videos so far I've uploaded have slightly different views because I have about 6 mounts lined up on my windscreen. If you want my honest opinion, we had 37 mounts originally to choose from, how do you think we got it down to 12? Just gambled and picked a few? After you have seen the work we have put into this camera do you honestly think the part about mounting the camera to the windshield is going to be an 'afterthought?'

I guess what I meant by "afterthought" was that here we are being asked what mount we prefer AFTER the camera has already been offered for pre-sale. In my previous experience as a consumer, issues like this are decided long before the product is offered to the public as it can be a determining factor in a purchase decision. You've obviously put an extraordinary amount of forethought and planning in the camera, no one is questioning that.

Last edited:
@JooVuu
How much the short mounts can move around depends upon that locking plate/knot.
If you replace that with a much smaller knot or a wire tab to lock, even very short mount can move all around.
You can test it by removing that plate all together and just use the ball mount 1/4" screw and see how much freedom you'll have.

Right. But there could always be a "default" bundle (cig. lighter power + GPS and suction cup mount, 32G card) This would "work" out of the box for everyone. Note I added the SD card to make it truly plug and play.

Not everyone wants GPS, especially as it adds to the cost. I think bundles can be a deterrent because it's sometimes more than people want and more than they want to pay. Not a problem perhaps for you and I, but nowadays people seem very price-sensitive.
A default bundle should be the bare minimum - just the cam, a power cable, an instruction booklet and a suction mount.

Enthusiasts can always buy add-ons from the supplier, which might include a GPS antenna, unusual (expensive) mounts or a memory card.
Decent memory cards with large capacity add to the cost, and higher cost can be a deterrent for people to buy - for example I have enough memory cards rattling around (at least three spare micro sd and two SD) so I don't need any more.
So if a memory card is supplied to make it ready to go, I would suggest a modestly sized one (8GB are cheap enough nowadays and hold about an hour of 1080p video, and useful as spares) which would keep the basic package costs down and let people choose the memory card they want.

I got a 8Gb card with my lukas LK-7500 when i got it, it is now in service as MP3 storage in my car headunit.

I allways recomend ppl buying memorycards a little more expensive locally, if i had not dont that i would be out 3 x 64 Gb and 1 X 32 Gb sd cards by now.
But buying local and cards with "lifetime" warrenty, only issues i have is 3 minutes on computer filling out RMA form, and 5 minutes at the shop in line for service and waiting for the guy to go get my new card.

Much lower than the aggravation from doing RMA in a shop far avay in cyperspace.

The physical appearance looks dated. Like an old radar detector hacked into a dashcam. You guys need to hire a designer to model something more discrete ansdmore now.

@JooVuu
How much the short mounts can move around depends upon that locking plate/knot.
If you replace that with a much smaller knot or a wire tab to lock, even very short mount can move all around.
You can test it by removing that plate all together and just use the ball mount 1/4" screw and see how much freedom you'll have.

Yes, I agree. This was my thinking when I created those Photoshop mock-ups of a hypothetical ball and socket mount for the JooVuu-X. As you can see, I made the locking nut half the width of the original design we see here on the left. Of course, these mock-ups don't show the additional axis swing you would achieve in real life since they are just trimmed down versions of the original. A real-life version would allow for more of the ball to protrude from the socket.

mounts1.jpg minitiltmount5a.jpg

Last edited:
A metal one of these could be a hot seller...
minitiltmount5a.jpg

I think a metal one might be cool but I also think it would be expensive to manufacture yet not provide any particular advantage over a well made plastic one.

I think a metal one might be cool but I also think it would be expensive to manufacture yet not provide any particular advantage over a well made plastic one.
Absolutely!!! Plastic components can all be injection molded rapidly, metal would have to be individually machined which is time consuming and the raw material cost higher. Even if they could be cast each would still have to be finished afterwards whereas plastic I.M. parts are ready to go immediately. You would likely end up with a mount more expensive than the camera. :eek:

Mount #9 would absolutely perfect if it allows enough tilting forward.
The lower profile mounts the better. These long mech arms with 6 degrees of freedom is awful.
At the moment I'm using mount #1 in my car.

Regarding pre-orders.
I placed a pre-order on the 7th, payed and my bank account was charged with the correct sum.
But I have not yet received any email or notice that the order and transaction went through ok.

Should I have received an email?

Mount #9 would absolutely perfect if it allows enough tilting forward.
The lower profile mounts the better. These long mech arms with 6 degrees of freedom is awful.
At the moment I'm using mount #1 in my car.

Regarding pre-orders.
I placed a pre-order on the 7th, payed and my bank account was charged with the correct sum.
But I have not yet received any email or notice that the order and transaction went through ok.

Should I have received an email?

Hey JustMe,
Drop me an email and I'll chase this up - it is a new system so there have been some teething problems and you should NOT have been charged yet...it should only have been 'authorized' (telling you we will take it but not actually taking it). The money will be debited when we ship your product. Sorry about this!

Dan

just a curiosity on the mount..

on test fitting an sj4000 I found I had many more reflections when very close to the screen and settled for a further back position.. is this true of all lens close to the screen and if so will this mount not be a little too close ???

Ps .. being as we ve all followed development .. how's the pre sale numbers going !

.....I found I had many more reflections when very close to the screen and settled for a further back position.......

Was that with the cam at the same height up the windscreen?
In general, I've found that in daylight closer to the windscreen gets less reflections, and lower down gets less reflections. But at night high up gets better images. Low-mounted cams at night more easily suffer dazzling from oncoming headlights, or dazzling from reflections off puddles or wet roads.

.. we ve all followed development.....how's the pre sale numbers going !

I'm following but not yet 'in' until I see a few more things ironed-out which matter to me. I expect the next major update from JooVuu will deal with my niggles. With the cams not due to ship for about four weeks, there doesn't seem to be any need to rush. But I am 'in the market' for another cam and JooVuu X is top of the list if/when I'm satisfied.

just a curiosity on the mount..

on test fitting an sj4000 I found I had many more reflections when very close to the screen and settled for a further back position.. is this true of all lens close to the screen and if so will this mount not be a little too close ???

Ps .. being as we ve all followed development .. how's the pre sale numbers going !

Hey PetePete,
It depends massively from what I've tested personally and also what people state on here...some people swear by closely mounted reduces reflections, whilst some people are of your thinking and believe a little distance reduces reflections...in my opinion I think there are so many factors to take into account it's hard to come up with a general rule of thumb.

Regarding the pre-orders, we're on track from my target, maybe a few orders above what I expected, but everything is good at the moment and we're getting growing interest so I'm hoping we can keep this going. Time will tell.

I'm following but not yet 'in' until I see a few more things ironed-out which matter to me. I expect the next major update from JooVuu will deal with my niggles. With the cams not due to ship for about four weeks, there doesn't seem to be any need to rush. But I am 'in the market' for another cam and JooVuu X is top of the list if/when I'm satisfied.

Hi 2000rpm,
The next update should iron out most problems. However, we'll never get a perfect camera so our focus is also on creating the infrastructure to deal with future problems and bugs. The mount appears to have a clear winner and because everyone loves a good test, we're going to test the mounts and put them through a performance test (it will be conducted in China but still gives us data). We're actually ahead of schedule for firmware and as such are adding a new (maybe another) feature so we're pretty please with that. The camera's stability is far better and we've already made tweaks and verified them to increase stability and reduce temperatures. Overall, we're ahead of schedule and by the time of launch the camera should be even more stable than it currently is.

Cheers,

Dan

Back