Pre-orders

Hey Dan, don't sweat the newsletter thing.

Exactly!
Not a big deal.

I'm sweating flightclubreview, though I have chased this up now.

The newsletter is bad form by me, I think I'm subscribed to 2 newsletters as I hate them with a passion. I was testing a new feature out on our email system and believed I was okay with everything....apparently not. Lesson learned.

Dan

So, I never expected that a discussion about the desire for a simple mount that can tilt on a horizontal axis would be described as nonsense or erupt into such a kerfuffle. I apologize for my part in the distraction that followed. The upshot was that I never quite got to conclude the discussion I was trying to initiate in the first place, which was to talk about how many of us would welcome a small discreet, adhesive mount with a ball joint similar to the small adhesive two axis mount JooVuu already sells.

I'm sure all of us who are considering the purchase of the JooVuu-X are interested in a stealthy windshield mount to complement the stealthy nature of the camera itself. Clearly, from the commentary many people would like to have a small mount that is adjustable on any axis and as versatile as possible, along with being highly secure on the glass, no matter what kind of abrupt shock our vehicles may encounter..

Currently, there is really only one small adhesive-attached tripod style dash cam mount on the market, a generic from China. It was designed for the average rectangular box shaped Chinese dash cam that has been on the market since the early days but it is much too tall to achieve the kind of stealthiness many of us are after and the base is too wide for some. As a result the camera hangs down too low from the mount and ends up being far more visible than it really needs to be. Such a mount was never designed for a small stealthy, matchbox shaped dash cam along the lines of a Mobius, C3 or the JooVuu-X. Nevertheless, it's virtually the only choice if you want a small adhesive backed mount with a universally adjustable ball and socket style tripod thread mount.

What I would love to see is a similar trimmed down version this mount that can achieve the same results but would be miniaturized to match the nature of a matchbox type camera like JooVuu-X or Mobius. The idea would be for a mount that would be small, stealthy, simple, sturdy and inexpensive to manufacture and purchase. While a "game changer" mount is something we would all love to see in the future and a strong magnetic mount may also be highly desirable, here the plan wouldn't be to reinvent the wheel, just make it more compact and stealthy. So the concept would be to mimic the basic design of the currently available mount but eliminate the tall protruding stanchion base, trim down the tripod platform stanchion, employ a thinner screw down ball retainer cap and make the base footprint smaller.

Here is a Pshop concept mock-up of what it might look like in comparison to the commonly available tall ball and socket mount we see everywhere in the marketplace.

View attachment 17626 View attachment 17627

Although I would love to see a multi-axis mount like this included with the purchase of a JooVuu-X at some point in the future (the new V2-PRO SGZC12SG ships with three different mounts) it could be sold as a modest priced aftermarket accessory and of course, it would work for many other cameras like the Mobius as well. I think a small mount like this could prove quite popular since there is nothing else like it available. I know I'd buy a bunch of them straight away and would be happy to buy one to go with my anticipated purchase of the X.

So, my goal here is simply to continue the discussion, hopefully without any disruptions this time.

OK, so I took another stab at a Pshop rendering of a small, discreet, adhesive attached, tripod threaded windshield mount with ball & socket adjustability. For all the reasons discussed previously in this thread I do hope we get to see something like this eventually become available for the JooVuu-X.

View attachment 17685 View attachment 17697

this was in my amazon recommended list today. it might be of interest to some of you. and it should work well on most windshields.

41w%2Bz0F%2BDsL.jpg

this was in my amazon recommended list today. it might be of interest to some of you. and it should work well on most windshields.

41w%2Bz0F%2BDsL.jpg

Looks very interesting!

I wonder if it has enough adjustment based on what @jokiin said about compensating for the windscreen angle?

the challenge I've seen from the shorter ones is they don't have enough adjustment to compensate for the windscreen angle and end up pointing too far down

Thanks for posting this, @abarth !

Last edited:
I just noticed this one listed on the same Amazon page as the one above posted by @abarth. Also, potentially a solution for a universally adjustable low profile JooVuu-X mount. Glad to see that there are some other options out there.

It's 13 bucks though. :(

low profile.png

Last edited:
The mounts mentioned by @abarth & @Dashmellow above look like overpriced variants of this $1.60 mount...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291409381544
Which I've previously used to mount a Mobius to the rooflining, & currently use to mount my phone to the dash.

View attachment 18011 View attachment 18012

Yes, that's the mount I mentioned all the way back in post #130. These newer mounts seem to be somewhat lower profile, more similar to what I tried to demonstrate in my first Photoshop mock-up.

OKay, just because I can...lets bring the....what mount should we supply debate back...here's our final contender list.

Please just write the number of the mount you prefer. There's 12 to choose from.

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

#4 (Seems quite similar to the Photoshop mock-up I proposed in post 147. but has a much longer center post)

also possibly #9 (if it can tilt on a steep enough angle?)

Last edited:
Leaving final decisions concerning the mount, which is a critical part of this camera, to a public opinion poll. Seems to me, to be a little haphazard, and takes away from an otherwise extensive process of trial and error. I believe that in the end this will probably be a very nice camera, but for sure now, I will be watching from the sideline. I do think that @Dashmellow has the right idea with his photoshop presentation. Just seems that these things need to be actually tested first.

Leaving final decisions concerning the mount, which is a critical part of this camera, to a public opinion poll. Seems to me, to be a little haphazard, and takes away from an otherwise extensive process of trial and error. I believe that in the end this will probably be a very nice camera, but for sure now, I will be watching from the sideline. I do think that @Dashmellow has the right idea with his photoshop presentation. Just seems that these things need to be actually tested first.

That's why letting users create their own bundle is probably the best. Let them chose the power (hard wire or cig. lighter, GPS yes/no, and mount) Right now I will have to spend $20 - $50 for additional stuff and end with bunch of accessories I don't need.

I understand completely - however we have not left this to a public opinion poll. We trialled this mount (I believe in the first round of testing @kamkar1 @CheckYourLights @Padwanjoe). We take user opinion pretty seriously and as such we want the input. Changing a mount is very very easy, we can literally do this up until about 3 days before finishing of the cameras. As it is very critical, I'd prefer to get it right.

That's why letting users create their own bundle is probably the best. Let them chose the power (hard wire or cig. lighter, GPS yes/no, and mount) Right now I will have to spend $20 - $50 for additional stuff and end with bunch of accessories I don't need.

In the future that is the plan but for starting up it's almost impossible, we would have to ship a whole variety of mounts to each reseller, shipping goes up, prices go up...we have to get this as simple as possible to begin with. However, I will be tweaking what can be bought and how, it won't be fully customizable but should be better, this will be relayed to resellers for their opinion so we can move forward.

#4 looks like a winner from a far. (Most Versatile)

It does seem that way.

Cheers,

Dan

Back