"Real World" Questions on the DC

Yeah, Jon seem like a kind of guy i would like to buy a beer, or a coke if he like me dont really do that thing that give a buzz if you get enough of it ;)

I just needed like 6 more inches. So close. I didn't have enough to tuck the cable under the molding on the C pillar. But even if I had 6 extra inches I probably would still do it over again with the longer cable to run it under the floor trim because the B pillar molding with the airbag is too tight to hide the cable around its edge, and it would bug me seeing the wire wrapped around the top edge of the B pillar. I don't want to mess pulling off the trim on the B pillar since the airbag is behind it. Running a long cable along floor should be quick and easy.

I popped off the rear upper brake light cover to hide most of the cam cable under it. If anyone plans to do the same on BMW, pull down on the cover from the side closest to the glass. There are clips on the side closest to the front of the car that will probably break if you pull down on them. You need to pull down on the back to pop out the two vertically mounted clips about an inch down, and then slide the cover towards the rear glass to pull the other two front clips out that are mounted horizontally.

BTW - I'm quite happy with the quality of both the front and rear video. I had looked at a few other dual channel cams and they had poor specs for the rear camera. Both the day and evening video look great. Image is very sharp on both cams even on the edges. And you can't beat the service from Street Guardian!

View attachment 34475View attachment 34476View attachment 34477View attachment 34479View attachment 34478

Yea, that's a hell no from me lol
Clean install is the way to go.

I rave about SG every chance I get.. I took the box to work and unboxed it in front of a bunch of my co-workers... No joke, getting this in the mail was just as exciting as getting my iPhone X.
These cameras have saved my ass twice and the best bit about it is the peace of mind that it's always working.

Good thing SG dont price their products like the fruit company do with their phones :eek: i read there are components worth 370 dollars in the 64 Gb X model they sell for 1000.

Quick question about the gps- does it matter which direction its mounted? Is a far corner of the windshield like this ok? Whats the best?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
c10a9798c3a35186c5409238a412d7ce.jpg

Quick question about the gps- does it matter which direction its mounted? Is a far corner of the windshield like this ok? Whats the best?

3, 6, 9. 12 o'clock, Doesn't matter, mount it so the cable is hidden as much as possible and not sticking out. (makes no performance difference)

Far corner yes

Last edited:
That should be fine, i put my antennas in the upper corners of the windscreen.

Good i got my front cam and gps installed. Ill have to make a bracket for the rear. Leaving the old cam in for the drive home to compare video and then it will come out. Wires will be routed later. Its 10pm and i have an hour drive home. Happy so far! I just hope i got the mount on square...
5b7ee08a532a0e6aa1b53270f81fafe8.jpg
8fec3f1b209f24e9f8a1087bf670c154.jpg
35eef8a4c48f47a7f46df9b0e0e35054.jpg

I played around with the cam today.

I removed the CPL filter and I like it much better that way. This is due to having my windshield tinted with a "clear" tint (80% clear). You can't tell it's tinted with the naked eye. This caused a rainbow effect.
I also lowered the EV balance by two notches, I don't remember what the number setting is.

It was an overcast morning then sunny in the afternoon. I have not driven at night yet to see how it is. The day video is perfectly to my liking right now.

Thanks guys, I always channel my OCD into service and support where possible :)

While we are on the topic of being OCD... Something that bugs me are the air bubbles that you often get when applying cam mounts to the windshield. Whats the best way to avoid them or remove them? I was thinking about sticking the loose 3M pad to the windshield first without the pad being mounted to the mount. Then press it down starting on one edge and lowering it down kind of like you do when you put on a phone screen protector to not get any bubbles under it. After that apply the mount to the 3M tape. If you have a technique that works please share. Thanks!

Good i got my front cam and gps installed. Ill have to make a bracket for the rear. Leaving the old cam in for the drive home to compare video and then it will come out. Wires will be routed later. Its 10pm and i have an hour drive home. Happy so far! I just hope i got the mount on square...
5b7ee08a532a0e6aa1b53270f81fafe8.jpg
8fec3f1b209f24e9f8a1087bf670c154.jpg
35eef8a4c48f47a7f46df9b0e0e35054.jpg

Nice install, and I see you are starting to get a collection of cameras

...If you have a technique that works please share. Thanks!
I just avoid looking at it from the outside - works for me. :D

Just looked over my videos from last night coming home- the sg front cam compared to the aiptek x2. The sg wins by a long shot but i for sure need to put the foam in the mount to stop both the audio and video vibration.

One question/suggestion: the startup noise- on your next camera can it be something different? Anything but that horrid 'china camera' noise. Would like my $500 camera to sound different than the $25 one i bought years back, lol.

As long as the vibration stops with the foam im happy. The gps is nice and this camera is discreet with very good night quality in town with streetlights and decent in complete darkness.
Just need to get a bracket made for that rear cam so i can try it out!
I have to say as well im quite impressed with everything that came in the box. I will be putting this in a car thats actually worth more than the camera come spring so the extra mounts and tape is nice! Also im impressed that i got a 6m cable as well as a 3m, wasnt expecting that. This is going in a small car so i know the 3m will work, but of i put this in a minivan later that 6m will come in handy :)

Just looked over my videos from last night coming home- the sg front cam compared to the aiptek x2. The sg wins by a long shot but i for sure need to put the foam in the mount to stop both the audio and video vibration.

One question/suggestion: the startup noise- on your next camera can it be something different? Anything but that horrid 'china camera' noise. Would like my $500 camera to sound different than the $25 one i bought years back, lol.

As long as the vibration stops with the foam im happy. The gps is nice and this camera is discreet with very good night quality in town with streetlights and decent in complete darkness.
Just need to get a bracket made for that rear cam so i can try it out!
I have to say as well im quite impressed with everything that came in the box. I will be putting this in a car thats actually worth more than the camera come spring so the extra mounts and tape is nice! Also im impressed that i got a 6m cable as well as a 3m, wasnt expecting that. This is going in a small car so i know the 3m will work, but of i put this in a minivan later that 6m will come in handy :)

Make sure to get your serial number before you apply the foam tape unless you've already registered for the extended warranty.

Make sure to get your serial number before you apply the foam tape unless you've already registered for the extended warranty.
I will, thanks

Finally, got around to driving in the evening. I found the clip to be a little too dark. I've adjusted the EV again back to 0. I changed it because day video, things were too bright / washed out, especially white cars, they appeared to be "loud".
I was also using the filter then with a tint so maybe it'll be ok..

Back