"Real World" Questions on the DC

Something several of us have done with various different cameras is stick a little rubber bumper (think furniture feet) onto the /!\ button, so you can find it instantly by feel.

I found one of those in the box. Thank you @niko!

I have some too if any USA customers want one. (Just let me know).
3cc8508004828bad254b8fb502116422.jpg

The desire or need to have some sort of tactile feedback when you reach up to hit the "file protect" button on wedge shaped dash cams has been a well documented issue for several years now going back to the A-118, the SG9665GC as well as the A-119.

How about building this simple feature into the next generation of the SG9663DC rather than relying on a DIY solution? It would be an inexpensive part to install at time of manufacture. In fact, how about adding this feature to the V4 version of the SG9665GC and the others too? :)

Last edited:
The desire or need to have some sort of tactile feedback when you reach up to hit the "file protect" button on wedge shaped dash cams has been a well documented issue for several years now going back to the A-118, the SG9665GC as well as the A-119.

How about building this simple feature into the next generation of the SG9663DC rather than relying on a DIY solution? It would be an inexpensive part to install at time of manufacture. In fact, how about adding this feature to the V4 version of the SG9665GC and the others too? :)

aside from being the middle of three keys which makes it easy to locate by touch it also has a raised tab on the key, Stevie Wonder could find the emergency key, just worried about him driving though

DC already has a raised mini-bar at the bottom of the event save button. I can feel it blind just fine but some would rather have an even bigger rubber bump I guess.
7cb611b87087cd8794928826b23ae069.jpg
Yeah, i thought that was good enough. The reason i still duck down is because if im not looking and just feeling for the bump on the button i feel for it with my thumb and for some reason always go to stick my fingers over the clip-on cpl filter. :/

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

aside from being the middle of three keys which makes it easy to locate by touch it also has a raised tab on the key, Stevie Wonder could find the emergency key, just worried about him driving though

Yes, I can see the raised tab. I wasn't aware of that but it certainly seems like it would do the trick. I was really just responding to the discussion as well as thinking about my experience with the GC.

Yes, I can see the raised tab. I wasn't aware of that but it certainly seems like it would do the trick. I was really just responding to the discussion as well as thinking about my experience with the GC.

the new GC replacement also has a raised tab on the emergency key

the new GC replacement also has a raised tab on the emergency key

Pleased to hear you've already addressed the issue on the new GC. Not sure then why this issue still comes up from time to time but I suppose some like a more prominent button than the "braille" tab provides.

Pleased to hear you've already addressed the issue on the new GC. Not sure then why this issue still comes up from time to time but I suppose some like a more prominent button than the "braille" tab provides.
That and a few other shortcomings with the previous design, more lens adjustment angle, changed the angle of the PCB to give more clearance for the cables, more ventilation etc

That and a few other shortcomings with the previous design, more lens adjustment angle, changed the angle of the PCB to give more clearance for the cables, more ventilation etc

Speaking of shortcomings of the previous design it would be great if you could do something to prevent the tendency of GC to pull away from the adhesive mount went you press the buttons. The position of the buttons makes the whole camera act as a lever against the adhesive pad when you apply pressure.

Practicality of the physical layout of the PCB does add some limitations, there's no perfect solution unfortunately

Practicality of the physical layout of the PCB does add some limitations, there's no perfect solution unfortunately

You're obviously aware of the problem I'm describing. And the issue was compounded by the defective (counterfeit?) 3M VHB mounting tape issue but using better quality 5952 3M tape has certainly helped. I guess a design flaw like this is one of the pitfalls of going with a "public housing" on the GC.

I don't think it pulls away from the mount as such but you can get some movement when pressing the buttons as there is nothing directly under that part of the camera to support it, it's less of an issue with the thin mount, you might see that a bit more if you have the extra strip of tape under one side of the mount as you have mentioned previously, the tighter the camera is to the glass the less it will move

I don't think it pulls away from the mount as such but you can get some movement when pressing the buttons as there is nothing directly under that part of the camera to support it, it's less of an issue with the thin mount, you might see that a bit more if you have the extra strip of tape under one side of the mount as you have mentioned previously, the tighter the camera is to the glass the less it will move

I don't have an extra strip of tape under one side anymore as I've found a method of placing the camera closer to the center of my windshield but I do have the thicker mount. I only noticed this issue fairly recently as its become more of a problem with the bad tape happening repeatedly. Finally I used some of my own 3M 5952 VHB tape and things are vastly improved over the (previously) supplied tape but I've noticed that one still needs to be careful not to apply too much pressure when pressing the buttons. The camera is very tight to the glass and has always been. The problem has primarily been the tape separating from the plastic mount, not the glass. But I know you are aware of that.

I don't have an extra strip of tape under one side anymore as I've found a method of placing the camera closer to the center of my windshield but I do have the thicker mount. I only noticed this issue fairly recently as its become more of a problem with the bad tape happening repeatedly. Finally I used some of my own 3M 5952 VHB tape and things are vastly improved over the (previously) supplied tape but I've noticed that one still needs to be careful not to apply too much pressure when pressing the buttons. The camera is very tight to the glass and has always been. The problem has primarily been the tape separating from the plastic mount, not the glass. But I know you are aware of that.
When you applied the tape what did you do to the mount to prep it first? Anything?

Just to be clear for new DC customers, there is no 3M VHB tape issue. The latest stuff from a NEW authorized 3M agent now holds very well and comes with all new SG9663DC (and SGGCX2) shipping today.

Clean glass with included wet/dry wipe packet

Press and hold the mount bracket against the glass for 2 minutes

Wait 20 minutes before hanging the camera.

This will ensure at least 50% bond is achieved for starters.

Last edited:
When you applied the tape what did you do to the mount to prep it first? Anything?

For some time there has been an ongoing issue with the 3M VHB mounting tape not bonding properly, (especially to the plastic mounting plate more than the glass) that was shipping with the SG9665GC. There are at least two threads about the problem HERE & HERE and it's been mentioned elsewhere from time to time.

The problem appears to have been an odd supply chain issue and not Street Guardian's fault in any way. As usual, @Street Guardian USA provided extraordinary customer service and even sent me a third set of replacement tapes just a few weeks ago even though I hadn't even asked for them because he was aware that I've been dealing with the issue and he knew that the last replacement batch was still problematic. In the meantime, I had already used some of my own roll of #5952 VHB tape and it appears to be holding just fine now but the new tapes he sent are visibly quite different (black) than the old stuff (grey) - (genuine #5952 3M VHB tape doesn't come in grey). From all appearances the tape in question was either counterfeit 3M VHB #5952 or not the 3M product it was supposed to be but Street Guardian has apparently got it all straightened out now. As @Street Guardian USA mentioned above this issue has not been present at all with the new SG9663DC.

To answer your question, because of this issue I was unusually conscientious about prepping the windshield and the mount before application. I carefully cleaned the glass twice with alcohol as well as the mounting plate. Additionally, I abraded the mounting plate with some sandpaper before applying the tape to enhance adhesion. Finally, I avoided attaching the camera to the mount overnight after installing it to allow the VHB tape to bond fully before applying weight, as recommended by 3M. With the "bad" tape I still experienced adhesion problems after a few weeks.

Anyway, if anyone wants to discuss this further, let's take it up in one of the two VHB tape threads I've linked to rather that continue here with this off topic tangent.

Last edited:
you can get some movement when pressing the buttons

Yup....... In my A119s I notice a slight movement in video when pressing a button but it returns to normal level instantly

Back