Rear camera colour swings

AndyN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a 522 with the wired rear camera fitted.
The whole system works perfectly except the colours on the rear camera are constantly changing from neutral to a green cast or a blue cast.

If I have the main view on the rear view camera you can see it changing colour.

I have disconnected and Re connected the am at the front and rear plugs, the cable from the rear camera is not twisted or pinched. I have just sat in a lay by for 5 mins and it almost seems to change colour as cars come past.

The front camera shows none of this.

Anyone else have this with the rear camera?20200312_093156.jpg20200312_093135.jpg

I have emailed Nextbase support and had a very quick reply.
I have been told to return it under warranty as they have not seen it before and I have only had it a week.

So I am returning it to Amazon and have ordered another one as I like the design and functionality of it.

Result then in 6 hours :D Thanks for the update.
I tagged NBSupport so that Millie would be sure to see it.

It was very quick, support so far has been good.

It's a pain in the backside having to remove it all and return to Amazon then buy another one while I wait for the refund and Re install a replacement, just hope it works and it's not a fault with the Hdmi port on the main camera.

Fingers crossed the replacement works.

You're right about the pain, and very few people/organisations recognise the inconvenience they have caused you by the failure of their kit.

Well that sucks big time, I ordered a new rear cam from Amazon this was delivered yesterday. I have just fitted it and taken the old one back to a drop off shop to get a refund from Amazon so am now out of pocket for 2 rear cams at the moment and guess what?

It's the same on the replacement. Just to be sure it was not cable damage this new one is just connected up from the front to the rear without the cable hidden so just unwound and connected.

So either this is what the 522 and rear camera does or possibly the front camera connector or internals is faulty.

Blooming marvelous.

All within 5 seconds of each other.

Sometimes it will remain neutral for quite a while thel loose the plot and change colour.

Anyone else seen this?

20200314_153541.jpg20200314_153607.jpg20200314_153633.jpg

So thought bollocks to it and returned the 522 to Argos for an exchange so have just now fitted a brand new 522gw along with a new rear camera from yesterday and.......

It's the blooming same colour on the rear image goes blue the green, and not just a bit.

20200314_170318.jpg20200314_170334.jpg

I think its an exposure fault, the system is trying to compensate for the image getting lighter or darker having a fit and throwing a shed load of colour about.

Either way its not acceptable for image quality. It's the sort of thing that is fixed with a firmware update but if only I have the problem that's not very likely.

Can anyone else with the rear camera have a look to see what their rear footage is like?

Anyone else seen this?

@AndyN, this is a firmware issue not a hardware issue. A new camera won't fix it. Nextbase needs to resolve this in the firmware. It is not an "exposure problem", it is a colour balance problem.

The same problem has manifested from time to time in other dash cams going back years now. It was a well documented problem at one time in the Mobius 1 camera and there were quite a number of well documented reports of the same issue with the Street Guardian SG9665GC (V2).

The problem has to do with the way the camera handles the RGB (Red-Green-Blue) values as it attempts to achieve White Balance (the proper calibration of RGB values). While it is less apparent in your examples (so far) the issue generally arises when an object of one RGB color enters the frame that cause the camera to overcompensate to the opposite RGB color when as it makes the adjustment.

The way camera auto "white balance" functions is that it constantly adjusts the additive primary colors RED, GREEN & BLUE so that the color white appears white in the image when the three colors are in balance. When white appears pure white in a digital image all the other colors in the scene should appear in their proper balance. Often with our dash cams a "close enough" result is all we can expect but quite adequate.

Notice in the standard RGB color charts below that when the three colors are in balance the center is pure white. So this illustrates what is happening. The problem tends to manifest when the camera adds too much of the opposite color on the chart in an effort to compensate. So if a YELLOW object enters the frame the scene will suddenly turn BLUEISH. If a RED object enters the frame the scene will turn CYAN, and so forth.

In your images, it is not quite so apparent what is triggering the shift but if you examine your footage carefully there is a high likelihood that some object such as a car, building or road signage enters the frame just before the color shift.

RGB2.jpgRGB.jpg

YELLOW & BLUE are directly opposite on the color charts. The camera's auto color balance is overcompensating the correction and shooting past the white balance point in the center of the charts.
yellow-blue.jpg

Here is an example of this happening with the Mobius A2 camera. Notice how, when the red car and then the RED buildings begin to fill the frame the scene suddenly take on a CYAN color cast. Note too that RED and CYAN are directly opposite one another on the color charts.

Here is an example of the same issue with the Street Guardian SG9665GC only in this case a YELLOW truck enters the frame and suddenly the scene turns BLUE. This time note that BLUE & YELLOW are opposite one another on the charts.

Finally, here is an example from six years ago of a CYAN color shift cause by the RED Coca Cola signage entering the image. This one is subtle and I post it because it may be more illustrative of what is happening with your camera. If you pay close attention you will see the color shift happen just when the signage appears in the frame.

You can read more discussion about this and see other examples in these older threads.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ates-and-pre-release-access.16310/post-305597

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-a2-lens-experiences-observations.27691/post-320042

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/feitelijks-sg9665gc.16011/post-266381

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the very informative reply, you are absolutely correct I have seen it happen when parked in a layby and cars drive up from the rear you can see it change colour.

So at the moment I either live with it or return the job lot and go to another manufacturer to see if they are any better.

The front camera does not suffer from this at all.

And not forgetting the magenta flash of the INNOVV C3 camera, though that was just one frame now and then.
In cameras its a little like in LED's in flashlights, some are cold ( blue ) and other are warm ( yellow ) but ideally a camera should stick to that one bias and not flip flop all over the place.

Hi and thanks for the very informative reply, you are absolutely correct I have seen it happen when parked in a layby and cars drive up from the rear you can see it change colour.

So at the moment I either live with it or return the job lot and go to another manufacturer to see if they are any better.

The front camera does not suffer from this at all.

NextBase can fix this fairly easily, so ask them to look at this thread and see what response you get before looking for another camera. (assuming you otherwise like this one)

And not forgetting the magenta flash of the INNOVV C3 camera, though that was just one frame now and then.
In cameras its a little like in LED's in flashlights, some are cold ( blue ) and other are warm ( yellow ) but ideally a camera should stick to that one bias and not flip flop all over the place.

I believe if you think back on it you'll remember that the INNOVV C3 "Magenta Flash" problem was a hardware issue with the cable connection to the sensor.

Yep i think it was something like that, it also evaporated from the market pretty fast.
Still i used the C3 for many years after that, aside for the flash it have been a rock solid performer for me, only needing a new memory card now and then.

Like i have said before color ( accuracy ) and so don't bother me that much, i would go for a B&W camera if it was a significant improvement over color dashcams.

Yep i think it was something like that, it also evaporated from the market pretty fast.
Still i used the C3 for many years after that, aside for the flash it have been a rock solid performer for me, only needing a new memory card now and then.

Like i have said before color ( accuracy ) and so don't bother me that much, i would go for a B&W camera if it was a significant improvement over color dashcams.

The INNOVV C3 was an excellent camera. The lens quality and overall image quality was outstanding! Unfortunately, it had too many flaws that Rock was unwilling and unable to fix (mostly due to budgetary concerns and limitations).

Last edited:
What I cannot weigh up is all different rear cameras and different front cameras combinations are both displaying the same problem.

I'd have thought o have this happen for one person is less likely than winning the ITV Seven....

Could the car be a factor (asking you more techie guys this?)

What I cannot weigh up is all different rear cameras and different front cameras combinations are both displaying the same problem.

I'd have thought o have this happen for one person is less likely than winning the ITV Seven....

It's firmware. In the instances I reported on above with the SG9665GC and the Mobius, (and a few other cams) some people reported and documented the issue but many people never experienced it. Go figure. I suppose there could be an external factor but I think it unlikely. As I also mentioned, I've been aware of and experienced this exact problem in various cams for at least six years now and it's always been a firmware issue.

One thing to mention here is that as far as I am aware, all the previous cameras that manifested this issue were based on a Novatek DSP. The Nextbase 522GW is Ambarella AFAIK and this may explain why it seems to manifest in a slightly different manor in regard to the amount of color in the frame that is required to trigger it and the appearance and saturation of the color shift.

Last edited:

I have a BlackSys CF-100 in my wife's car that does similar color shifts - only on the rear camera, front camera is properly balanced.

It's possible that the tinting of the glass could be a factor but most are tinted neutral grey so it's unlikely that would affect the color balance.

Back