SG9663DC with external waterproof rear cam.

Yes. That is why they are called piggy back fuse adapters, you life the original fuse out of the box, and but it in the tab and then you have the fuse for what ever the tab have to power above the original fuse, and so "riding piggyback" on the original fuse.
So if you dont have the original fuse in the tab then there are nothing to bridge the original connection and so something in your car are not working, the tab fuse sit above and connect to the dashcam.

On my drive yesterday a saw a nice blue metallic Mustang, you dont see those too often in Denmark which are more of a 4 banger country.

I kept it simple, but yes fuse taps / piggy back adapters. None the less, I posted diagram so cameo could see why things wouldn't work without the missing fuse.

Far as a Mustang and Drilling a hole in the trunk...UGH... He must have a convertible which is what those external waterproof cameras were designed to handle. Since you don't have a fixed rear windshield in a convertible. Just like my Volvo Sedan lacks a fixed rear glass that an SUV has. Where an SUV would allow you to mount a side camera on the fixed glass, but a sedan does not.

Yes. That is why they are called piggy back fuse adapters, you life the original fuse out of the box, and but it in the tab and then you have the fuse for what ever the tab have to power above the original fuse, and so "riding piggyback" on the original fuse.
So if you dont have the original fuse in the tab then there are nothing to bridge the original connection and so something in your car are not working, the tab fuse sit above and connect to the dashcam.

On my drive yesterday a saw a nice blue metallic Mustang, you dont see those too often in Denmark which are more of a 4 banger country.
Man, I spent too much time working on this thing at night after work. I guess my brain is shot - I didn't realize that this was a simple parallel circuit!
I had a lightening blue Ecoboost before I got a GT. I loved that color so much more than red.

I kept it simple, but yes fuse taps / piggy back adapters. None the less, I posted diagram so cameo could see why things wouldn't work without the missing fuse.

Far as a Mustang and Drilling a hole in the trunk...UGH... He must have a convertible which is what those external waterproof cameras were designed to handle. Since you don't have a fixed rear windshield in a convertible. Just like my Volvo Sedan lacks a fixed rear glass that an SUV has. Where an SUV would allow you to mount a side camera on the fixed glass, but a sedan does not.
Fortunately, I didn't have to drill the steel in the trunk, only in a plastic bumper. I will seal the space around cables, once everything else is completed and tested out. Interestingly enough, as short as they are, one of the screws used to attach the camera proved to be too long for the purpose and hit something. There was just enough space in between the left license plate light and the button that pops up the trunk. The way the cable is, it made it impossible to drill the hole under the camera base so I had to drill it between the licence plate and the right light.

Man, I spent too much time working on this thing at night after work. I guess my brain is shot - I didn't realize that this was a simple parallel circuit!
Yes, it’s designed so that if your accessory blows the added fuse, fine, it doesn’t get power but the rest of your vehicle systems powered by the tapped fuse are unaffected. But if the vehicle side fuse blows (or is missing), there’s no more power available to feed your added fuse because the circuit it’s tapping is broken.

Strange. The fuse box in my car is on the passenger side. I bought a 7.5A fuse and put it in right in the store's parking lot. With the engine running, the unit took seemingly longer to turn on than it took when powered from cigarette lighter adapter. The voltage regulator was set on the highest right-most setting, so I adjusted it to the second setting from the lowest. I didn't pay attention to the unit at that time. I then put harness under carper, put the fuse compartment door back and went to the driver's seat. At that point I saw that the camera screen was off so I pressed the menu button, which would turn the screen on before when the the unit was powered from cigarette lighter adapter. Nothing happened. I turned off the engine and started the car again. The unit did not come to life. Checking on the wiring would require removing fuse door and raising both dirt floor mat and the car's carpet. I had to go home for a work teleconference so I left it as it is to take a look at it again later in my garage. I thought of going to a car wash on the way home, and then wondered how would a car wash affect the external rear camera.

The pilot light on the adapter was on, but the camera would not turn on. Unplugging the power cable from the camera didn't help. I ended up disconnecting the fuse connector from the fuse box and reconnecting it. Then I was able to turn on the unit and this time it stayed on. After I picked up my girlfriend, she noticed that the rear video was upside down. I had to get my reading glasses and dive into the settings for the first time. Power was set to two wires. Could that be the reason,why it was shutting down by itself? I set to three wires. The funny thing was that when my girlfriend saw the rear camera her first question was about the car wash! jokiin, so you are saying that car wash will not be the issue? You guys ship this unit with a ton of accessories like those mysterious pieces of black paper which would make a great question material for a quiz show. :) Unless that rear camera lens is wrapped in a diamond coating, it's hard to believe that weekly car washes will not eventually result in a glass scratch from some pesky sand grain. A tight fitting plastic cap that could be put on the lens before one takes a car through Scub-A-Dub would make a far more useful replacement for that GPS extension cable.
I'll put the pictures of how I wired the front of the vehicle later. I really should put this information on one of the Mustang forums to help others save time. I couldn't find any info on how to route the rear cam cable on the web...

the GPS extension cable is to allow a right angle connection to keep the cables neat

the car wash is no problem, I don't wash my car every week but when I do I wash it with a Karcher, snow foam and pressure wash off, has been on the car over 2 years without issue

the mysterious black paper is conductive tape that goes under the heatshrink, shown here

power input needs to be set to 3 wire (2wire/3wire auto detect is coming in a future firmware update)

invert the rear camera is a menu option also

So you don't wash your car at a commercial car wash... I got a membership https://www.scrubadub.com/ when I bought this mustang. Before that, I would wash a car 3-4 times a year. The thing is Scrub-A-Dub has a rotating brush that cleans a car real bumper at one stage of the wash. It's a spinning fabric brush that would hit the lens directly. Now this is a real conundrum.

never, more concerned with them scratching my paint than I am about them scratching my camera lens
I guess I'll have to buy a tightly-fitting rubber tube and start manufacturing accessories for one of your products... ;)

Last edited:
I got flatrate car wash too, someone called wash world here in Denmark, my little red car have been washed 2 X more than all my previous cars put together :)
Just the cheapest subscription i have ( 10 USD/mo ) i am thinking about going up 1 level just for the hell of it.

Some times i wash my car 2 times in a day, just cuz i can. :) i could also go back and forth between the 2 places here in town all day, there are no limit

What software app should I install on my mobile android phone? I didn't see any WiFi settings on the unit when I stepped settings yesterday. The supplied manual has very few details. Where is online documentation which discusses every option? Thanks!

I got flatrate car wash too, someone called wash world here in Denmark, my little red car have been washed 2 X more than all my previous cars put together :)
Just the cheapest subscription i have ( 10 USD/mo ) i am thinking about going up 1 level just for the hell of it.

Some times i wash my car 2 times in a day, just cuz i can. :) i could also go back and forth between the 2 places here in town all day, there are no limit

Yeah, I also went for lowest $15 a month which is now $25 for new members. And I don't have to go to another car wash to wash it twice. If something doesn't wash off I go 2 times. Usually in those case one gets personal attention the the attendant will spay something on the dirty bit.

What software app should I install on my mobile android phone? I didn't see any WiFi settings on the unit when I stepped settings yesterday. The supplied manual has very few details. Where is online documentation which discusses every option? Thanks!

Search Apple App Store or Google Play App Store for “Street Guardian” Some further instructions are in the app.

If you are experiencing difficulty connecting your Street Guardian Dashcam Viewer Mobile App to your compatible Street Guardian Dashcam, ensure you are following the correct procedure below.

Once you have confirmed that you are on the latest firmware for your device, follow the steps below to connect to the camera with the mobile app.

With the camera on and recording, short press the power button while the LCD display is on.
The camera will display that WiFi is now activated, and will begin to beep – this is normal behaviour. The camera beeps anytime it's not recording or you're accessing the menus, it does this intentionally to let you know it's not recording
The camera will display a WiFi SSID (Network Name) and the default password, which is 12345678. The SSID will look something like this SG9663DC fgceee8ea71wb2356ab56 and is different on every camera.
Open your WiFi settings on your mobile device, and find the SSID in the list of available WiFi networks. In our example, you would look for and connect to SG9663DC fgceee8ea71wb2356ab56.
Select the SSID and connect, when prompted enter the default password 12345678
Once connected, you may see a message advising that no internet is available on this network, if so, accept or agree to this, as the camera does not provide internet access. We are only creating a Peer to Peer WiFi connection.
Once you confirm that the WiFi connection has been established, you can then launch the Mobile App and you should then have access to your camera and its settings from the App.

In the summer i use a bug spray on the bugs on the front of the car and windscreen + mirrors, spray it on and let it work for some minutes before i enter the wash, no need for 2 runs then.
you now have to stay in the car, which i have always done, i kill time by doing at least the windscreen on the inside, cuz as a dashcam user you suddenly notice dirty windows.
In my older cars i could go 6 months in between cleaning the inside, and i was a smoker back then too.

I tried to follow the procedure. The camera was running from the previous day. Strange because I set to turn off after 12hr and it has been more. I forgot to press menu to light up the screen. Instead I pressed power. The unit went into a zombie mode. Everything seemingly went off. It only responded to record button after which the record button would lit for about 5 seconds. It didn't respond to power, menu or any other buttons. The pilot light on the cables attached to fuse box was on. I stopped. I disconnect the unit reconnected - same thing. I drove somewhere, went inside, came back, tried to press various buttons - everything is same a before. I arrive to my garage, turn of the engine. And the unit boots with its bootup sound, screen-on and starts recording. Any ideas?

What year make model vehicle do you have and which fuse # slots have you tapped into for ACC and BAT? Certain CANbus computer controlled circuits can cause bad behavior.

Do you have “Power Input” set to 3-wire?

Your accessory power / engine should be running/on any time you need to make changes to the settings menu.

Also confirm you you turn the engine off you hear a beep and see an analog clock icon appear in the upper right, that indicates you’re in parking mode. It sounds like maybe it’s still recording in normal mode full-time which would indicate wrong wires used

watching that video i feel like im scratching a blackboard with my nails and my stress level rises hugely with all the paint damage i can see happening.
saw a black rental car last year where they use one of them brush washes on them all the time, millions of fine straight scratch lines going right down the side of it when you look at it in a certain angles. i would rather leave my paint job dirty than use use one of them washes.

Back