SGDCHW for SG9663DC (3-wire hardwire kit to enable PARKING MODE function) Timed & Low Battery Discharge Prevention

Not sure if I should be posting a new thread for this, however thought this one may be ok/relevant.

Got a good new battery - Yellow top Optima. Hardwired SG9663dc, set voltage cut-off point to highest one available, 12.5 I think it is. Set the cam to record for 6 hours @ 5fps. So this worked fine for about 3 days, then it just reverted to recording for about 1 minute in parking mode. Surely my brand new battery is not cutting out every time now after only 1 minute. Seems like a software-related issue perhaps?

My cutoff times are all over the place. Sometimes 3 hours now and sometimes 14 hours or anywhere in between, Set to 11.8 and 24 hour run. Battery voltage not falling below 12.0.

Frustrated as can be now.
I need to measure my battery voltage to be sure its not battery related, but since I switched from 1.34T to 1.33 I've not been getting the 6 hours of recording time I should be

Not sure if I should be posting a new thread for this, however thought this one may be ok/relevant.

Got a good new battery - Yellow top Optima. Hardwired SG9663dc, set voltage cut-off point to highest one available, 12.5 I think it is. Set the cam to record for 6 hours @ 5fps. So this worked fine for about 3 days, then it just reverted to recording for about 1 minute in parking mode. Surely my brand new battery is not cutting out every time now after only 1 minute. Seems like a software-related issue perhaps?
What firmware version are you using?

I'd probably use a lower setting than 12.4v

Not sure why the new battery but that's a good one. Did someone check your charging system when it was installed? Often a "bad battery" diagnosis is also a charging problem, or could have completely been a charging problem from the start. It pays to get a cheap DMM if you don't have one; mighty handy working with anything electrical in home or car and even the cheap ones are almost always accurate enough for most purposes.

Phil

Just ordered this cam and hardwiring.....I’m not feeling very confident after reading this thread

Just ordered this cam and hardwiring.....I’m not feeling very confident after reading this thread

We’ve shipped quite a few SG9663DC’s so far globally, working great on firmware 1.33. The SGDCHW battery discharge prevention low voltage cut off system itself is independent and isn’t related to the SG9663DC firmware at all. There seems to be a select few variables for the SGDCHW users you see chiming in on this thread. Maybe a computer controlled circuit is in play etc. Many other factors can come into play as well as @jokiin pointed out. We will continue to help figure out what might be going on but we can only simulate so many things on the test bench.

No worries, If there will be any issues I am going to look after you.
I have been testing v1.33 FW for long time changing every 3-4 days different parking/driving settings values and this FW has been most stable. Although further tests are ongoing.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

You would need to put a switch on the B+ wire
Hi Jokiin.

I have added a switch from previously bad firmware.
How can I use that switch so I don't have to go into settings each time and adjust the parking mode times ?

Every time I have tried to use it, ie parking in my garage as I don't need it recording 12 hours under parking mode, I get back to my car and switch it back on but the time settings have been reset.

Hi Jokiin.

I have added a switch from previously bad firmware.
How can I use that switch so I don't have to go into settings each time and adjust the parking mode times ?

Every time I have tried to use it, ie parking in my garage as I don't need it recording 12 hours under parking mode, I get back to my car and switch it back on but the time settings have been reset.

sorry, I'm not clear what you're asking

what firmware version are you on now?

sorry, I'm not clear what you're asking

what firmware version are you on now?
It isn't a firmware issue. I have my parking timer set at 12 hours for when I am at work, I don't need 12 hours parking mode whilst I am at home so I have to go through menu etc etc.... What I have tried is when I installed a switch to the B+ wire due to previously bad firmware, I use that switch but when I turn it back on I lose time on the unit and have to reset the time.

Is there a way to get around this so I don't waste time having to reset the time settings ?

It isn't a firmware issue. I have my parking timer set at 12 hours for when I am at work, I don't need 12 hours parking mode whilst I am at home so I have to go through menu etc etc.... What I have tried is when I installed a switch to the B+ wire due to previously bad firmware, I use that switch but when I turn it back on I lose time on the unit and have to reset the time.

Is there a way to get around this so I don't waste time having to reset the time settings ?

Press and Hold the "power on/off" button and the unit will power off.

Thanks, will give that a go. Is there an updated manual with the hardwire kit ?

we'll update the manual for this soon, press and hold will power it off but only once in timelapse mode, need to be on V1.33 firmware if you're not already

This may have been answered (I'm only up to page 10 of this thread), but if we decide later on that we don't want parking mode, can we just leave the constant power unplugged so that the camera shuts off when the car is off? Or would we need to order a different hardwire cable?

Follow up question that might be a crazy idea: If the answer to the above question is yes, then would it be possible to splice a single-wire on/off toggle switch into the yellow wire? That way we could switch off constant power easily for times when parking mode isn't necessary (e.g. parked in a garage) without having to go into the settings and set the auto-off to a shorter time.

This may have been answered (I'm only up to page 10 of this thread), but if we decide later on that we don't want parking mode, can we just leave the constant power unplugged so that the camera shuts off when the car is off? Or would we need to order a different hardwire cable?

Follow up question that might be a crazy idea: If the answer to the above question is yes, then would it be possible to splice a single-wire on/off toggle switch into the yellow wire? That way we could switch off constant power easily for times when parking mode isn't necessary (e.g. parked in a garage) without having to go into the settings and set the auto-off to a shorter time.

I've gone with one of two options (with the hardwire kit):

1) Turn off parking mode in the settings
2) When I park and don't need it, whether it's at work or in a garage, I press the power button until it powers off

I can't comment on the second part as I've not explored modifying the hardwire kit and wiring

1) Turn off parking mode in the settings
2) When I park and don't need it, whether it's at work or in a garage, I press the power button until it powers off

Thanks! I didn't realize it was possible to turn off parking mode in the settings. I don't need it on very often, but I do want to have it for certain places/times, so I didn't want to have to remember to press and hold the power button every time I got out of my car when it's in a safe place. It'll be more convenient for me to enable it in settings for the occasional times that I do need it on.

Thanks! I didn't realize it was possible to turn off parking mode in the settings..
it's not

if it's only an occasional use thing then just set one of the short timer options (lowest is 5 minutes) as your default and adjust it for those odd occasions when you want longer

it's not

if it's only an occasional use thing then just set one of the short timer options (lowest is 5 minutes) as your default and adjust it for those odd occasions when you want longer

That's my bad, I thought there was an Off setting prior to the 5 minutes but it's been a while since I've accessed those settings since I manually turn it off when I don't need to use it

Just got to the car, camera has turned itself off. I've checked the voltage on the battery and its showing 12.35v. Cutoff is set to 12v. What gives? I know I've said it before, but I never had this issue on 1.34T....

Back