SGDCHW for SG9663DC (3-wire hardwire kit to enable PARKING MODE function) Timed & Low Battery Discharge Prevention

Are there any downsides to hooking up the cam to car's battery? Is using a separate standalone battery better than using car's battery? I see many people wanting to use some external battery. I'm not car-savvy, so I have no idea what car's battery is even used for... For what is it worth, I'm manning a Toyota Prius 2015 spaceship in the hot hell that is Florida.

Assuming there are good arguments to be made in favor of using a standalone battery for the cam over the car's battery, is it possible to make the cam work off Anker PowerCore 26800mAh (sorry, Cellink Neo is too expensive)? How about hooking up both the battery's input and the hardware kit's accessory into the same cigar lighter socket (the other socket is already in use by something else), so that whenever the car starts the battery gets charged and the cam realizes that the car has started?

Are there any downsides to hooking up the cam to car's battery? Is using a separate standalone battery better than using car's battery? I see many people wanting to use some external battery. I'm not car-savvy, so I have no idea what car's battery is even used for... For what is it worth, I'm manning a Toyota Prius 2015 spaceship in the hot hell that is Florida.

Assuming there are good arguments to be made in favor of using a standalone battery for the cam over the car's battery, is it possible to make the cam work off Anker PowerCore 26800mAh (sorry, Cellink Neo is too expensive)? How about hooking up both the battery's input and the hardware kit's accessory into the same cigar lighter socket (the other socket is already in use by something else), so that whenever the car starts the battery gets charged and the cam realizes that the car has started?

Usually, when you plug into a car's battery it has more wear and tare on the battery. Your car battery is used to start the car along with powering everything in the car when your car is turned on but the engine is not running. When your battery loses charge it may not have enough power to start the car causing you to need a jump.

Whether something like that would be worth doing really would depend on the draw of the hardwire kit and camera when in parking mode. My understanding is that one of the benefits of the hardwire kit is that it automatically senses when the battery is getting low to prevent that from happening. I'd wait and see whether a second battery is a solution in search of a problem. That's what I'm doing.

In my own case, I suspect that my car battery is starting to fail anyway, probably due to vibration from some of the less-than-wonderful roads I drive on. Vibration takes its toll on non-AGM batteries. I usually replace OE batteries with AGM batteries when they fail because of that. The one in the car now is still under warranty, but they might decline it because of some of the electrical "enhancements" I've made. If I need a battery, I might just eat the cost rather than driving a hundred miles to fight with the dealership (and probably lose).

I do have to check the grounding posts first, though. They're a known weakness in the Soul's electrical system. They get a little corrosion in there and it causes all sorts of odd electrical problems. Cleaning the threads and replacing the bolts is a less than $2.00 fix if that's the problem. Maybe I'll do that today.

Richard

check fuse 10
Hi Rick, I managed to find an unswitched fuse. In fact, there seem to be many but fuse 5 was available. However, ran into other issues.

1. One of the fuses provided just broke into 2 while pulling out. I used a spare 10A temporarily.
2. More importantly, the fuse taps provided only fit/stay put on the left column of fuses, not on the right - don't know why. I couldn't finish my installation because of this as all my switched fuses that I can safely use are on the right column. Any thoughts?

Fuse panel.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see any reason why the fuse taps would fit on one side and not the other
when I say it doesn't fit on the right side, it just doesn't lock into place. It stays loose and would fall off with a small vibration. If you observe the fuse panel closely, there is a subtle difference between the right and the left for the plastic clip mechanism that holds the fuse in place. It feels like the fuse tap is not going in all the way on the right side.

you might need to use a mini tap instead of low profile mini on that side
I am a bit hesitant about it as it may stick way out of the panel, but not sure what my other options are. I drove to Supercheap and Auto Barn in vain to find another low profile fuse tap. SC didn't have any fuse taps at all and AB didn't have low profile. Jaycar doesn't seem to have any low profile either just by looking at their website.

Just use the mini you'll be fine. My Mrs has low profile fuses in her Honda hrv and I used a mini instead. Yeah it does stick out but only the coloured plastic part, all exposed metal seats in nicely.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I am a bit hesitant about it as it may stick way out of the panel, but not sure what my other options are. I drove to Supercheap and Auto Barn in vain to find another low profile fuse tap. SC didn't have any fuse taps at all and AB didn't have low profile. Jaycar doesn't seem to have any low profile either just by looking at their website.
Message me your details and I'll send you a mini tap

wait, so this is out? or just still preorder? am i just missing the link to purchase?

Not all regions have received them yet so depends on where you are
sorry, thought i had my location on here. just added.. one other question, if i'm not really concerned with parking mode, can i just use any generic micro usb kit with a fuse tap?

sorry, thought i had my location on here. just added.. one other question, if i'm not really concerned with parking mode, can i just use any generic micro usb kit with a fuse tap?

your location would show, I was on mobile at the time though and couldn't see where you are, @Street Guardian USA has the hardwire kits in stock already, I wouldn't use a generic hardwire kit though, a lot of them are not up to scratch, if you don't want parking mode though you can hardwire using the included cig charger, the power supply is not in the cig plug so that can be removed for hardwiring purposes

Back