Shadow GT680W

Foxoffer told me that it is better to remain with V2.6G firmware than upgrade to V2.7G, which I could not (problem as described above). The reason they say is many users report V2.6G firmware is "better", there are no explanations as to why better.

Anyway, I next ask if V2.7G perhaps support 64GB SD as I mistakenly bought this SD instead of a 32GB one. 32GB is reported the maximum size supported by GT680W. The Foxoffer answer is NO, that's the maximum.

I went ahead anyway with my 64GB SD and used this tool http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm which formats large drive in FAT32 format, even though it is an inefficient format for drives larger than 32GB.

And when I insert 64GB to GT680W running V2.6G, woohoo! it records nicely. I've not tried using it to the limit - as in completely filling it to the max of 64GB, but so far I am happy that it works. I want to use 64GB because I want to record a long driving session of 10 hours, and a 32GB at FHD gives me 5 hours or so.

In conclusion: the SD size larger than 32GB appears to work, as long as you format it in FAT32, and under newer Windows OS, it forces you to use exFAT format which ruins the recorder device read/write process. But once you bypass the formatting with another tool (as described above), it's all good.

But remember: don't format the larger than 32GB SD inside GT680W any more, as that would fail, and you have to start all over again.

Hi guys,
I have an all black (no logos either) Foxoffer GT680W. It came with the 2.7G firmware.
I contacted Shadow-tec/SeeZeus and asked about the latest firmware. They said it's 2.6G and not 2.7.
They also gave me the YTX000FW.bin file.

So... I formatted the µSD card and copied the .bin file to the root directory. (using a card reader)
Inserted the µSD card in the camera and pushed the "turn on" button.
The camera started as usual, nothing different. I went in the menu, checked the fw version and it's still the 2.7G.

Am I doing something wrong? How is the update supposed to go? What should happen when I turn the camera on?

Thanks

PS:
- Tried with two different µSD cards.
- Tried formatting the cards directly from the camera.
- Tried with the camera on battery power/ connected to the PC / connected to the car charger.

Foxoffer told me that it is better to remain with V2.6G firmware than upgrade to V2.7G, which I could not (problem as described above). The reason they say is many users report V2.6G firmware is "better", there are no explanations as to why better.

Interesting that they would say this with zero explanations as to why its better. I put 2.7 on mine a few weeks back but haven't noticed any difference really. Then again I'm no pro at noticing differences in video quality. Maybe it has something to do with how stable the camera is after the upgrade? Or the file format?

Hello guys. The Shadow GT680W car charger says: output 5V and 1.5 A.
Question, if I want to used another one, which one should I use: 5V and 1A or 5V and 2A? Thank you.

I don't think that it use as much as 1.5A. So a 1A adapter is probably sufficient.

Thank you.
Now,another thing: I have noticed that there is an interuption of 1-3 seconds in the sound recorded in every 3 min video.
Has anybody experienced the same thing?

I've had a few random crashes on my GT680W over the last few days now where the device will just either show random noise on the screen or white lines and it hangs and needs a reboot?

It can be powered off if you hold the power button down for a few seconds and then comes on as normal and carries on working fine after power is restored.

Is this a common fault or do I have a bad unit? It's running the stock firmware - ie 2.6G.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Could you tell me your method to easily find the files tagged as readOnly with the GT680w?
When I press the "M" button, the key symbol shows up on the display indicating the file won't be overwritten if the memory is full. I sometimes use this method to mark events I'd like to view later on my PC.

But how do you easily find those files afterwards on your µSD card?
The filename doesn't change and the readOnly file is not moved to a separate folder when tagged. (at least not with my gt680w, is that normal?)

I sometimes have 100+ files on my SD card and finding the ones I wanted to keep can be a PIA.

Thanks

Files marked as read-only are stored in a separate directory. Where on your µSD card is that directory depends on FW version...

Hi All!
Today I got new GT-680W from E-Prance (Ali)
Cam doesn't want to start.
Later I've got cam to be started using some random clicks on Power button, Reset and turn off/on power cable. FW is 2.6G
But after power off cam become non functional again.
Is a chance to get this cam operational (I'm good in electronic and soldering) or only revertback to seller?

slako - Keep trying. The Shadow GT680W, VIFO G9000 and Zetronix zBlackBox-500HD I have required significant trial and error investment and all now work as desired. Funny, all have very similar set up configuration. The right type and class SD card is also important and the faster the better. I noticed my GPS "issues" (now resolved) may have drained the battery making my GT680W inoperable. http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/foxoffer-i-give-up.5341/

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using SD from a seller. Also I was tried replace SD to another one (from my FineVu CR-500HD cam) - no success

Tried in the car with the included power cord or only on the bench?
it looks like cam does start sometime when I click reset. Later after power off, issue come back

Last edited:
Just for reference the Sandisk Ultra 64GB card works when formatted as FAT32 too, just not when formatted as exFAT. On the flip side the device can still read the 64GB card when connected to a PC and it is formatted as exFAT

If you got the GT680W camera with 2.6 FW and no problem with camera, no necessary to try other FW.
There is 2.7 FW, but it is only for the version with NEW GPS module.
About the new GPS module, please read below:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/shadow-new-gps-module.5194/

Shadow also sell the camera in China market, the FW version number is different. Even for us, sometimes confused with their FW version number.
I highly suggest do not try upgrade the GT680W and RX300 if no problem with camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back