Shadow RX300

I don't work with that chipset but reasonably sure there's not the sort of control that would allow them to play around with output voltages on auxiliary circuits, it's built to a price so I'd expect it was possibly more of a misguided marketing decision to have the LED's on there in the first place

You have a point.
Its just in this case I am struggle to understand why they have so many IR leds related boards, chipsets, microchipsetc ? Those extra parts cost money and labour. If they are only for "fashion look" as claimed, then they could only glue thdm to the lens surrounding casing without havin any extra "gizmoz" :)
Also I dont understand why fake 027 which cost 13-15usd incl delivery, its IR leds are stronger than 100usd RX300 ones ?

Is there any way to contact them directly? I don't even know who to contact anymore? I just need someone to answer couple of my questions. I diligently paid for my camera, for something they advertised, and I did not received it exactly as advertised. They received my money, but in the same time I did not receive everything I should have.

I've read somewhere they won't be answering (FoxOffer) until the Feb.6th2014. That's today, but I am not even sure FoxOffer can give any answers since they are just a distributor, not manufacturer or developers who worked on Firmware.

Is there any way to contact them directly? I don't even know who to contact anymore? I just need someone to answer couple of my questions. I diligently paid for my camera, for something they advertised, and I did not received it exactly as advertised. They received my money, but in the same time I did not receive everything I should have.

I've read somewhere they won't be answering (FoxOffer) until the Feb.6th2014. That's today, but I am not even sure FoxOffer can give any answers since they are just a distributor, not manufacturer or developers who worked on Firmware.

I guess they first will contact manufacturer, then can give us answers. So just a little bit patience needed. Till now they were always helpful.

I just got reply directly from SeeZeus. Well, in short... there is actually a problem with original v2.2g firmware and Auto-Rotation Screen feature. They're saying, camera would start locking/freezing if function is enabled, so they completely removed it and released firmware v2.3g, rather than fixing the damn problem and releasing true new firmware with fixed problem.

Anyway, with this v2.3g, they fixed parking function. In old firmware v2.2g, screen would go black sometimes when recording. New firmware v2.3g fixed that, and there is no sudden black screen when recording anymore. I can confirm that, I've never experienced "black screen" with new v2.3g.

So, it looks like I am sticking with my new v2.3g, even though Auto-Rotation Screen feature is removed (hopefully temporarily until they find the fix).

Also, just in case, they sent me both firmwares, v2.2 and v2.3, so I have them here. If any of you guys is interested, I should post them somewhere so they are accessible for anyone.

This is the original email I received from super polite Janet Ke, Car-DVR Representative at SeeZeus Technology:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Shadow Recorder
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 14:00:13 +0800
Reply-To: sales002 <sales002@sz-xjs.com>
To: me
CC: sales008 <sales008@sz-xjs.com>, "master@sz-xjs.com" <master@sz-xjs.com>

The different of v2.2 and v2.3:
The Auto Rotation function of v2.2 will lead to system halted sometimes so v2.3 remove that function.
The
Parking monitoring function of v2.2 will black screen sometimes and v2.3 upgrade that function.

Actually v2.3 is the best.
Pls kindly check the attach file with v2.3

B&R

Janet ke
CAR-DVR Sales Representative
Shenzhen Seezeus Technology CO.,LTD.
Mobile: +86 13528794669
TEL: +86 755-36984359 FAX: +86 755-83171055
MSN : xijiesi@hotmail.com
E-mail: sales002@sz-xjs.com
Address: RM410,Block 3 (East),Segem Scince Park,Zhen Xing Road, Futian District,Shenzhen,518000,CHINA.

Can the gps from the gt680 be used on the rx300 with a 3.5 to 2.5 mm phone adaptor

I believe it is same module. Good question though, I didn't realize they used different sized phone plugs.

Can the gps from the gt680 be used on the rx300 with a 3.5 to 2.5 mm phone adaptor
Yes. It's exactly the same thing, except GPS Module for RX300 uses 2.5 mm phone jack, and GT680W uses 3.5 mm jack. Exactly the same thing, you just need an adapter. As far as I am aware, both GPS Modules are 5Hz, there should be no reason why they wouldn't work on both dash cams.

Have you asked them about IR Leds?
Yes, I did. The answer is as expected and it did not surprise me at all. It's exactly as we all suspected, this is just a mimic and as they said "to make camera look prettier". I guess in China, they believe that's what makes camera prettier.

Not that I can only live without IR feature, I am pretty sure I'd never ever use it in my life. I just wanted to test it so my video could possibly help some taxi drivers or somebody who'd like to record passengers (for security reasons). Unfortunately, I am not going to do any tests nor provide any footage, recordings done with IR on, are identical to those with IR off. IRs are definitely useless on all these current dash cams. I love my RX300 because of the camera's shape, and higher capacity battery. Everything else is virtually identical to GT680W. Both cameras are great deal for the money, and as I said, I am super happy. They even offered me to return it if I am not totally satisfied (because of these missing features), and I told them, no way. I love it.

Also, I just tested both firmwares on this camera. Old v2.2G and new v2.3G. Downgrading is a breeze, super easy to do, and it went flawlessly. I proved this camera has no hardware changes whatsoever, Auto-Rotate Screen feature is removed just because they found it freezing/locking cameras with firmware v2.2G installed. After I downgraded my camera to firmware v2.2G, I got that feature back. I was able to enable AUTO inside the Auto-Rotate Screen menu. It wasn't with two options, ON and OFF any more. There was third one, AUTO and it works perfectly fine. I've tested it at least hundred times, my camera never ever locked or froze on me. Anyway, just for the sake of playing on a safe side, I went back and re-installed new firmware v2.3G. They fixed random black screen recording while in Park Monitoring mode, so I think that's more important to have than Auto Rotate Screen. We still have Manual Screen Rotate until they fix this too with new firmware hopefully. I am uploading video showing both firmwares on this camera and this Auto-Rotate Screen feature, and will post the link once it's done.

This is part of their email I've received on IR feature subject:
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:39 AM, support@foxoffer.com <support@foxoffer.com> wrote:

One of my questions:

3.) IR LEDs are really weak, it's almost impossible to see them in complete
darkness. Recordings in pitch dark space (inside of my car, recording
passengers) is completely and exactly the same as when recorded without IR.
There is no difference! This is comparison I did between my IP surveillance
camera with IR feature and RX300. Recordings of my Foscam IP camera are so
clear in pitch dark. With my RX300, there is nothing to be seen inside.
Black screen. http://i.imgur.com/0gK4edp.jpg

Their answer:

3.) The IR LED light is weak, you are right, it's not good as the IP camera which for CCTV system.

Thanks for quick reply. All problematic issues are now clearly explained and now we know where we stand.
BTW my RX300 is on the way. Foxoffer just sent it:)

Thanks for quick reply. All problematic issues are now clearly explained and now we know where we stand.
BTW my RX300 is on the way. Foxoffer just sent it:)
That is great news! I know how difficult it can be waiting for a new "toy", but eventually it'll get there and you're gonna be playing with it like no one's business :)

Last edited:
Hi. I have one more question. RX300 has a bitrate of 15 Mbps. Is Kingston MicroSD card Class 4 will handle the bitrate or maybe there will be distruptions in recording. I have at home such unused card and do not know if it can handle with quite high bitrate.

Hi. I have one more question. RX300 has a bitrate of 15 Mbps. Is Kingston MicroSD card Class 4 will handle the bitrate or maybe there will be distruptions in recording. I have at home such unused card and do not know if it can handle with quite high bitrate.
SeeZeus recommends Class 10 or at least Class 6 cards. I am sure you can even use Class 4, but since RX300 records on a higher side bitrate, you could end up with dropped frames and skipping. GoPro HERO 3 records at 20+Mbps without ProTune turned ON, and it's highly recommended to use Class 10 cards. Heck, anything less than Class 10 may even freeze your camera. OK, it's 20Mbps, and RX300 records at 15Mbps. It is lower bitrate, but it's not really that far from 20Mbps. I'd use at least Class 6 just to avoid any lost frames. God forbid, it could happen right in a middle of accident... I don't believe Class 10 cards are that expensive anywhere in the world. I just purchased another Class 10, 32 Gb SDHC card for as low as $19, and it's not some No Name card, it's Kingston.

This is RX300, quite poorly done manual, but there is one line that states what I mentioned above...

lBYL60d.jpg

Last edited:
Despite the Class 6 and up recommendation, all my current cameras operate at the same bit rate as the RX300 and I use Class 4 in all of them without any issues.

Yeah for dashcam use you'll be writing like 99% of the time and reading like 1% maybe.

Thanks for all your opinions. I'll try it first and I'll see if there are any problems with skipping frames. If so, immediately buy a new one, class 10. These cards are available at any place and time so there is no problem with quick change.

robbsonn - Since you already have that Class 4 card handy, it wouldn't hurt to try it, although I am 100% sure there will be some dropped frames (1080p at that bitrate can be bitch sometimes). It might not be obvious, especially if you have a lot of recorded materials to go though, but there will be some for sure. Reading is totally not important, since most of us tend to unload those videos from the card to our computers and read them of our computer HDs (loading them into Driving Recorder/Player apps). Writing is what's really important here. If card is slow, it won't be able to keep up with camera constantly sending loads of video materials recorded at 15Mbps. Especially if you are recording at 1080p, as you should (preserving most details in your videos).

What is the funiest... OK, this is an extreme example, and these cards at Staples are way too expensive. They can be found at half price, and 3x better brands, made by better manufacturers. But it's funny, because I saw this in so many cases. Just look at the price difference in between these two cards. Exactly the same store, exactly the same brand and identical capacity, the only difference is Class number and their price... insignificantly different. Who'd in his right mind go out and buy Class 4 version then? :):D

Class 4:
http://www.staples.ca/en/Centon-Cla...SBD:58:21800&gclid=CM-KsfSXwLwCFeg-MgodOVkAWA

Class 10 version:
http://www.staples.ca/en/Centon-Cla...SBD:58:21800&gclid=CJPZ_ZGYwLwCFa47Mgod_mAAFQ

Last edited:
Back