Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

It's GPS+internal+external memory and is running without any problems on my amazon e-prance :D
Even G-Sensor works.

(Well I'm using just the kernel of that file bbut I think DSP microcode doesn't differ)

Thanks Tobi@s, if I'd looked closer I'd have seen it mentioned GPS in the filename.. but cheers for confirming.

Last edited:
Received this firmware too from Demi at E-Prance just a few minutes ago.
We should create a new thread for the comments on this revision.

what about no GPS no internal card
You may contact Demi M on this forum for this firmware. Is is not the same firmware with and without GPS? it should be as the gps is optional and I can use mine with or without it.

Just received 20131202 firmware from E-PRANCE. Looks great so far. Has MPH in display and installs DVRPlayer on card (requires QuickTime)...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2el5gxr3hhbxbz/firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.zip

With GPS/No internal card

Thanks for posting.

Wow, WITH MPH!? (excellent, finally) Since I have two 0801's I'll try the new 20131202 on my no-internal GPS model, and I'll try the newer 20131026 a few posts back on my 8g-internal GPS model.

Stand by as I slowly test

Beware the 20131202 release is a MPH version.
Just wanted to let you know :)

Beware the 20131202 release is a MPH version.
Just wanted to let you know :)

Cheers matey.. like the USA and a minority of others we are still using MPH in the UK, about the only thing they have retained as everything else has gone metric.

Think years ago they decided it would cost too much to change all the signs over in the UK... same reason why we still drive on the left.

BTW.. did you know why we originally decided to drive on the left in the UK? it was because years ago knights of the realm and other swordsmen on horseback mostly carried their weapon in their right hand, so would approach the enemy on the left hand side..absolutely true. :)

Last edited:
so has anybody tried the 20131202 firmware yet?

Bests,
Beavis

if you have problems about " low speed card" " IO error" "systerm freezed" " stop recording"

we suggest you choose the Toshiba Class4 8G and KMAX Class6 8G 、16G 、32G Micro SD card to have a try.

we received the defective mini0801 send back from customers, when we use these card, they becomes on good condition.

One factury recommend us to use these kind of SD card, the DVR with Ambarella Chip are have problems with SD card, the factury specializing in the production of all kinds of Micro SD card for Ambarella Chip DVR.

"KMAX" meaning Kingmax?

Bests,
Beavis

so has anybody tried the 20131202 firmware yet?

Bests,
Beavis

20131202 GPS only, seems okay so far, the real test comes over the next few days, with them now adding MPH at long last and with the extra viewer proggie added, anyone else think this is still a work in progress situation...lol at least they are bringing some regular updates out, maybe by the time we get to firmware 201412xx firmware we might be seeing a real stable camera. I still think however in view of the fact I have 2 out of 3 which has given no trouble at all, definitely leads me to think there are more than firmware issues going on. joklin has always maintained there may be hardware differences inside the cams, dependant of which Chinese factory they are made, and I believe he his 100% right.

I've noticed that on my E-Prance GPS + 8GB internal that the GPS doesn't seem to work, it didn't work with original 0922 firmware, and still doesn't work with the 2 card 1026 firmware either. I've tried it on another known good GPS base, on which my other 2 GPS cams show the GPS icon after a couple of seconds but this one cam doesn't want to know, and yes it is enabled in settings before someone asks..lol.

Never noticed before yesterday,.. strange though. I have one that'll work in car if I want GPS on so no big deal.

I've noticed that on my E-Prance GPS + 8GB internal that the GPS doesn't seem to work, it didn't work with original 0922 firmware, and still doesn't work with the 2 card 1026 firmware either.

I noticed that GPS wasn't logging properly a few weeks ago as well. (not sure which 0801 and which firmware I was trying at the time)

You'll notice the 0801 I'm using as the rear view in the following video is missing GPS data.
The on screen display shows --:-- --- ---- (lines)
Check out the smaller video at the top: (full screen, pick HD)

I'm testing the new firmwares, just finished filling up both cams and will have some test videos driving around soon. I'll compare bit-rate, stability, the usual.

I noticed that GPS wasn't logging properly a few weeks ago as well. (not sure which 0801 and which firmware I was trying at the time)

You'll notice the 0801 I'm using as the rear view in the following video is missing GPS data.
The on screen display shows --:-- --- ---- (lines)
Check out the smaller video at the top: (full screen, pick HD)

I'm testing the new firmwares, just finished filling up both cams and will have some test videos driving around soon. I'll compare bit-rate, stability, the usual.

This 8GB GPS cam doesn't even put the sat dish icon on screen, the other 2 cams do and work okay. IOW it's not detecting the GPS in the base, and the same base works with other 2, so camera may have been like it since I received it, AIS no big deal as I can use it in the rear of the car. Have tried the usual like setting to defaults, making sure GPS is OPEN, probably a hardware fault I think. I notice they still fill the GPS folder with some files even if the GPS is off, unless I'm imagining it..lol...but not valid GPS logs.

I don't normally copy across the GPS folder to my PC when I copy the video files to check a particular trip etc, so hadn't really noticed until yesterday when I did copy the gps folder across and Registrator didn't pick them up, but I noticed whatever it was writing to the logs was not the usual proper logs, likely because it's not finding the GPS in the base anyway..lol

Does yours' put the GPS icon on the screen ? my other 2 do AIS but not this one. I may not be using the exact base it came with, but you would think they would all be the same...wouldn't you, or are those matched to specific factory camera's too..lol. I'll try it on the other 2 GPS bases tomorrow..just in case.

Last edited:
Yes I see GPS icon on both of my units, I think it's working well. I'm about to go record some videos driving around shortly.

Internal 8GB and no-Internal, both are on 1202

Yes I see GPS icon on both of my units, I think it's working well. I'm about to go record some videos driving around shortly.

Internal 8GB and no-Internal, both are on 1202

I thought 1202 was for GPS only... ? is that same version working with your 8GB too ? or another version.

Back