Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

do I sense a tiny hint of gloating... lol

Unfortunately neither JooVuu or anyone else currently sells the Mio 368 in the UK to my knowledge. :-( Joovuu do however sell the older Mio 358, but I didn't want that model, it's picture quality is not so good, and it does not have WDR, the bitrate is also higher on the 368 plus I get the optional Mio anti-glare filter in the deal.
I don't mind paying the import Vat of £28.33 but in view of the fact it's already at the Gloucester, Parcel Force depot, it's their Clearance fee of £13.50 they have added on which I object to, otherwise, yes I would alway urge people to buy from the UK when possible... common sense really. :)

Hey Lunar,
Drop us an email at www.joovuu.com/support and i'll see if I can import a model for you.

Kind regards,

Dan

Good News:
I finally got around to running/hiding the power wires to both front and rear dashcams. (Everything all tucked away, neat and tidy!)
The DIY experiment of wiring things to my interior lights always on feed was a success as well! This means my recordings start as soon as I unlock my car with the remote. See the following link for more details.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/wire-dashcam-interior-lights-live-feed-longer-recordings.2363/

Bad News:
I was trying to re-locate and test place my mini 0801 in the perfect rear window location to minimize window heat strip lines using only a partial temp stick. I accidentally let it fall off the window and drop to the carpet below. (only 1 foot or so) Since the DashCam was attached to the GPS base at impact, I think it caused enough pressure to crack open the horseshoe support leg. (see photo)
It didn't fall very far, but it still did a number on my base. The DashCam no longer stays in the base. Luckily I have another base from my second 0801 I can use for now. I'll have to order a replacement either way so my spare 0801 is whole. (letting a contractor friend using it in his truck in the near future) I'm contacting Givoe for new GPS mount. ($11)

So FYI! Be careful, the plastic is not forgiving at all. I guess I could try gluing it but you know how that usually turns out.

uQdSePOl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings to All,
I just received my dashcam last week (bought it from eprance), after testing it for a few days, I already have it neatly set up and wired in my car, with a good quality car charger (including fuse) and a 90 degree 3m long USB cable.
I'll post pictures of the setup.

PROBLEM - today I noticed the camera was not recording in the car when it should have. Looking at the movie files, it stopped recording after completing a full 1-minute video at some point.
This was the first error I experienced. This kind of error defeats the sole purpose of having the camera in the car.
Any suggestions?

additional info:
I'm on firmware 20130924 - camera arrived with 20130903 originally - and using a Samsung 16GB class 6 card (definately original, bought it from national Samsung distributor) with 1-minute loop recording. I formatted the card in the dashcam before use, did not change any of the settings since.

Bests,
Beavis

Greetings to All,
I just received my dashcam last week (bought it from eprance), after testing it for a few days, I already have it neatly set up and wired in my car, with a good quality car charger (including fuse) and a 90 degree 3m long USB cable.
I'll post pictures of the setup.

PROBLEM - today I noticed the camera was not recording in the car when it should have. Looking at the movie files, it stopped recording after completing a full 1-minute video at some point.
This was the first error I experienced. This kind of error defeats the sole purpose of having the camera in the car.
Any suggestions?

additional info:
I'm on firmware 20130924 - camera arrived with 20130903 originally - and using a Samsung 16GB class 6 card (definately original, bought it from national Samsung distributor) with 1-minute loop recording. I formatted the card in the dashcam before use, did not change any of the settings since.

Bests,
Beavis

Ok, I played around with the mini a bit and it looks like one of the problems with the Samsung Class 6 cards is related to locking the videos.
I figured out a way to consistently reproduce the "LOW SPEED CARD" error, with the Samsung 16GB Class 6 card and the 20130924 firmware (might 'work' with other firmwares too!).

(1) Loop is set to 1 minute! Card has to be full (it has to delete older files to record, that is).
(2) Start movie recording.
There are two options from here:

(option 2a) Lock the movie. If the lock is set before the 1st minute, then around 1:30 recording stops and error message appears "LOW SPEED CARD", after a few seconds of pause followed by "STORAGE IO ERROR".

(option 2b) Lock the movie. If the lock is set after 1:30, then the cam starts to struggle writing the movie immediately (freezes for a second, then led and red recording sign starts to flash faster for a second) and after about 10 seconds recording stops and error message appears "LOW SPEED CARD", after a few seconds of pause followed by "STORAGE IO ERROR".

Software bug: the lock icon usually stays on after this, even if there is no recording in progress!

Sometimes it asks: "PROCEED WITH MOVIE RECOVERY?" and choose "YES" or "NO". If then I say "YES", the result is "MOVIE RECOVERY FAIL" and I can choose "SET" - whatever that means.

I have a Sandisk 2GB card as well, that works fine, no such errors.

So: if somebody would please try this as well with a Samsung Class 6 card, on whatever firmware, I would be very grateful!
I looks like purchasing this card was a waste of money at the moment.

Bests,
Beavis

Last edited:
how long does givoe on aliexpress usually take to ship out? its been 10 days and mine still hasnt gone out.....

So: if somebody would please try this as well with a Samsung Class 6 card, on whatever firmware, I would be very grateful!
I looks like purchasing this card was a waste of money at the moment.

Bests,
Beavis

I've been using 3 of these camera for about 5 weeks now 2 in the car (front and rear), and one as a cheap option Home security camera, this last camera has been running almost contantly for a good 3 weeks now and have never seen any errors. I thought it would have packed up by now, but surprisingly it's still going strong. I have several Samsung class 6 cards plus half dozen of other branded class 6 & class 4 cards. I tried what you suggested.. no errors here at all, all 3 camera's are from E-Prance 2 are gps versions with 0913 firmware, the 3rd and most recent has gps & the 8GB onboard, and thats on 0922 firmware, (latest version for those cams) all 3 camera currently have Samsung 32gb class cards inserted.

Only issue thats has given me a little trouble on one camera, was a poor mini usb connection, where the camera would start to record on switching on the ignition, and the for no reason would just stop after a few seconds, if I pressed the OK it would carry on recording, and it would repeat the problem when next switched on. I tried different cards without any joy, but when I tried a different cable it started to work again, and in fact it worked for a couple of days. So as the original cable I had been using was still fitted in the car tucked neatly away behind the cars trim, I reverted back to that cable, and as expected it repeated the problem as it did before. SOLUTION. All I did was give both the plug and socket contacts a blast with isopropyl and using a pair of pliers carefully squeezed one side of the mini usb plug so when inserted it was much firmer, and it's worked great since, and thats been over 2 weeks now at least.

I don't think it was making a very good contact, (maybe the quality of usb socket could be better..no idea...lol), but as the camera obviously draws more current when first powered up, thats likely why it only did it when first powering up. Thats my theory anyway, the fact its worked fine for over 2 weeks since on that same original cable speaks volumes. IOW, never overlook that mini usb connection, just because it's powering on, doesn't mean a poor connection is supplying enough current when first powered up. Most of my mini usb cables seem a little loose when inserted in the usb sockets on these cameras, so I've squeezed in the connector plugs in a little on all 3, and have had no issues at all since.

Last edited:
SOLUTION. All I did was give both the plug and socket contacts a blast with isopropyl and using a pair of pliers carefully squeezed one side of the mini usb plug so when inserted it was much firmer, and it's worked great since, and thats been over 2 weeks now at least.
I don't think it was making a very good contact, and maybe the quality of usb socket used might not help, and as the camera obviously draws more current when first powered up, thats likely why it only did it when first powering up.

Thanks for the tip Lunar, I will definately do it, and I hope it helps. It will not do anything bad for sure.

Also thanks for trying to reproduce the errors - where can I get the 0913 firmware? Do you think it would be possible to downgrade from 0924 to 0913?

Bests,
Beavis

Thanks for the tip Lunar, I will definately do it, and I hope it helps. It will not do anything bad for sure.

Also thanks for trying to reproduce the errors - where can I get the 0913 firmware? Do you think it would be possible to downgrade from 0924 to 0913?

Bests,
Beavis

Regarding firmware versions, one of the issues we have discovered during this lengthy thread, and also from feedback from joklin, who is involved in dashcam manufacture in China, and Rayman Chan, is that these camera are actually manufactured not by one manufacturer but 3 or even 4, and although all the camera 's look alike, we are told they may be slight hardware differences inside them depending where it was made. What this means...is though the firmware generally seems to work across most of the users camera's, one or more settings may not work on one camera but works on another camera. Also you have to careful to select the right version firmware for your particular camera. ie The standard model with no GPS or 8GB, then you have the GPS only version, and finally the GPS and 8GB version.

The 0913 version is for the GPS only model.
The 0922 version is for the GPS and 8GB model

I forget what the firmware version was for the standard model, but it may be the 0903 firmware, you say your's came with this installed, whats the model of your camera,..ie. GPS / GPS + 8GB or standard. ? When posting, it's probably prudent to mention which model of the camera one has, as well as mentioning firmware version, as it helps us all in seeing if there's any particular patterns forming with certain models or firmware. :-) Not that it's helped us much so far...LOL

Now there is another version firmware 0924, (the one you have maybe used) which according to emails from E-Prance state that the 0924 version is the latest firmware for those camera's ONLY which previously used the older .TS file format, as until a few months ago, these slightly earlier camera's output their video files in .TS format, which is the video format that techmoan mentions on his excellent revue of the camera on his www.techmoan.com site, as the review camera he bought output in .TS files.

In fact the .TS format although less popular, and not supported in some playback software like REGISTRATOR.EXE, was very stable and worked well, they had a few issues initially when they switched to .mov files, but they seem to have worked around them now, AIS previously, mines been working great for weeks, though as you will see in the many previous pages some users have had problems similar to yours, and some experienced it stopping just a few seconds after it starts to record on power up, which is what my one camera did.. remember?
So the 0924 firmware is only for those camera which previously output .TS file, IOW to allow them to upgrade to the .MOV video format. E-Prance stated we should'nt use it unless your camera came with .TS file output. I don't think it would create major problems, but may not be 100% compatible, as there may be slight hardware differences.

The 3 versions of E-Prance firmware I mentioned are linked in the FAQ, not sure if the 0913 is, but it probably is. I have all the versions here, but for 100% compability you must use the one for your particular model.
I think the general concensus is that many of the issues some users have experienced or having issues with could perhaps have been from perhaps one manufacturer, but as there's about 4 making these things there's no way of telling, and is all based on conjecture anyway..lol but the theory may be a likely one as different users with supposedly identical camera models and fitted with the same type and class of card, sometime get opposite results, IOW one user gets no trouble at all yet the other user gets issue, only snag is we have no way of telling if they were both made in the same factory, or indeed exactly the same inside, I can only assume all my 3 were made in one factory where the units did work properly, but AIS it's all conjecture.
Let me know if you need any of the firmwares mentioned, and I'll put them on my dropbox so you can pull it down, but AIS I'm fairly certain they are available from the mini 0801 FAQ. A few pages back in the thread, is the firmware information which E-Prance emailed us with, but basically is what I mentioned above.

Last edited:
The 0913 version is for the GPS only model.
The 0922 version is for the GPS and 8GB model

Let me know if you need any of the firmwares mentioned, and I'll put them on my dropbox so you can pull it down, but AIS I'm fairly certain they are available from the mini 0801 FAQ. A few pages back in the thread, is the firmware information which E-Prance emailed us with, but basically is what I mentioned above.

I have GPS version with no internal memory - so I need firmware 0913.
Would you be so kind to share it with me? (It is not on the FAQ page. There is a link to an "eprance provided fw" but there is no version mentioned.)

It originally came with 0903, I ordered on Sept 25th and I bought from eprance (not e-prance, as I see it may be a different vendor). According to what you say, I should not have updated to 0924 :/

Thanks so much!

Bests,
Beavis

Just received my unit from e-prance Amazon US, no GPS, no internal memory. Came with firmware 20130922.
Testing now with genuine samsung 32GB class 6.

e-prance also included outside the box, some kind of black sticky pad the size of my hand. Not sure what to do with it. Maybe use it hide the unit a little from the outside?

Can confirm the following works successfully for me:
video (no audio). I did not bother to even test with audio as I dont want it
5 min loop recording
full HD
genuine sasumg 32gb class 6 sold by amazon
run overnight for 8 hours
unplug after 8 hours, plug in again. record starts
unplug after a few minutes, plug in again, record starts

Not sure if I'm missing a step to confim loop recording really is working

Last edited:
Would you be so kind to share it with me? (It is not on the FAQ page. There is a link to an "eprance provided fw" but there is no version mentioned.)

It originally came with 0903, I ordered on Sept 25th and I bought from eprance (not e-prance, as I see it may be a different vendor). According to what you say, I should not have updated to 0924 :/

Thanks so much!

Bests,
Beavis

There are multiple flavors of the 09324 firmware. See this FAQ page to pick the best one:
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/#Firmware
These are for 0801's bought from Givoe so careful since you didn't buy it from them. It "should" work but no guarantees.

Thanks so much!

Bests,
Beavis

Here is 0913, this is for GPS only and NO onboard 8GB. Note I have not tested it because I already have 0913 on my camera. It may need renaming to make it work. If I recall correctly I added the "No 8GB with GPS-" to the front of the file name.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shm0jvz6f0dnxo5/No 8GB with GPS -20130913-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin

BTW I noticed that bugelrex mentions that on his new camera with no GPS and No internal memory he has 0922 installed, which is strange because E-Prance stated that 0922 is for their 8GB + GPS version, the whole of this firmware naming saga is completely baffling. There just doesn't seem to be any sensible simple order to how they name these firmware, as everything seems so contradictory, we don't even know if say the 0913 firmware from say Giveo is the same as the 0913 firmware from E-Prance. I think the 0913 firmware I've put on Dropbox was sent to jazjon by Giveo, but may have come from E-Prance, Can you recall JazJon which of the 2 sellers supplied us with that 0913 firmware Jon, as I'm sure that would be Beavis's next question...lol I wish there were some way we could extract a copy of the firmware from our own camera's just to take all this pot luck guess work out of the way.. because this is getting totally ridiculious, we are getting users with firmware installed that according to E-Prance should'nt be on there. Don't they ever standardise anything at all in China.? so firmware naming convention makes a little sense.

I only recall testing the CX4 Russian version of 0913. I agree all these undocumented hardware revisions and firmwares are a support nightmare. It's half logic, and half shot in the dark stuff. The race to the bottom resulted in a fragmented mess

minor 2 vehicle collision caught on camera yesterday, quality not too good as the camera seems to pick up the wire mesh on the Mondeo's front heated windscreen, and lens might need a clean too I think, anyway, which drivers is at fault.

At the time I thought the VW driver was at fault, but after viewing the clip it looks like the DPD delivery van driver started to pull away at the same time without checking his mirrors... what do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awj1025ej63zhg9/Stourport DPD Collision.mov

I only recall testing the CX4 Russian version of 0913. I agree all these undocumented hardware revisions and firmwares are a support nightmare. It's half logic, and half shot in the dark stuff. The race to the bottom resulted in a fragmented mess

LOL... I agree.. it's crazy. was it not you who put the link up to the 0913, shortly after posting the links to the other firmwares ? I dont think this file was the Russian CX4 0913 version, but wondered where you got it from, I assumed it was from either E-Prance or Giveo. ?

I kept track of everything 0801 related in my Dropbox folder. I don't see the 0913 firmware so I lost track. It's buried in this 90 page thread.

Hmm hard to say, looks more like the driver cutting in to steep.
I was expecting to see the Mini 0801 tag not MiVue.

I thought that too at the time, as you can hear me say in the audio, but when slowed down you can see the van driver has started to pull forwards the same time as she drives in.. it's a double yellow lined (no parking zone) high st, so legally no vehicles are supposed to park that side anyway, though I assume the van driver had been delivering something.

Yes.. I had the 368 in the wifes ford Mondeo, which we were in at the time, picture quality is quite good on that camera, but did'nt look so good on that clip, I noticed later there was a little smudging on the anti glare filter, so may have degraded it a little, also I've not setup the best setting for the antiglare filter itself yet. It rotates, so I assume it works the same as a polarizing filter, by rotaing to position that produces least amount of glare or reflections, but comparison show it to be similar in quality to the 0801, night time is a little better than the 0801, but daytime video shows very little between them. It definately seems to pick up the heating wires in that windscreen though. The bitrate is just over 13000, so a fair bit lower that the 17200 on my 0801 cams. Certainly not worth anywhere near what it cost me in the end with that £41.83 import tax and release fee added...doh

Last edited:
Back