I wouldn't let the dashcam record 24/7 at full bitrate when parked in the sun etc. One of the main benefits of using the pending SGDCHW hard wire kit is, it puts the camera into a low power mode. (sensor/cpu isn't operating full blast in the heat)

Bexx
I like the usb powerbank idea. I have a handheld solar charge bank that gets me two full smartphone charges, has usb outlet. So im presuming this will work until I get the hardwire kit

By all means give it a try as you've already got the equipment, but I've no idea if it will work well with the DC. If the motion detection doesn't work the way I'm hoping it does, then I'll have to wait for the hardwire kit.

ok thanks for the info. I see the DC should NOT be left running fullrate 1080p/60 in the sun?

Where's the first place one could order the hard-wire cable kit?

okay great, thanks. One more question, I have a different cigarette lighter charger that is 5V but 1.5AMP vs the 5V 1AMP that came with the kit. Would this be an issue? The older cable I have hasa much better mini-usb connecter that doesn't get bent as opposed to the sideways connector that came with the camera.

What brand is it? A lot of noisy power supplies out there that don't live up to the advertised specs. I'd just wait for SGDCHW which will replace the whole power supply system and has it's own mini USB plug.

I'm not exactly sure on the brand. Just wanted to get it installed - already yesterday somebody hit us while driving and the camera wasn't installed. Have had zero day light time - but off tomorrow and wanted to get it going.

okay great, thanks. One more question, I have a different cigarette lighter charger that is 5V but 1.5AMP vs the 5V 1AMP that came with the kit. Would this be an issue?

can be, a lot of USB chargers don't supply a stable output and suffer a lot of voltage drift

The older cable I have hasa much better mini-usb connecter that doesn't get bent as opposed to the sideways connector that came with the camera.

not sure what you mean by that, can you clarify?

OKay so the power plug that comes with the camera...the mini-usb is mounted side-ways, so that as the cable is run flat to the windshield, it is bent completely 90 degress. The third party one i have is a straight in plug and can easily be run along the windshield without being bent much at all. Continuously bent cords to that degree by where they connect usually crap out in short order.

It's constantly bent at 90 degrees. Will wear out sooner than later as opposed to straight plug. Agree to disagree.

I’ve had a DC installed for over a year.
(Early pre-production)
90 degree cable is very stable and has been unplugged 100 + times. It gives maximum clearance when it’s right up next to a tight object. (Left side of mirror etc). Sticking straight out wouldn’t be good.

Back