Street Guardian SG9663DC (DC = Dual Channel)

doing a promo through Amazon would be higher cost than doing it direct, can be just that bit cheaper off their platform, more about passing that on rather than trying and make more from the deal

just like booking a hotel, cheaper to book direct then go through expedia or booking.com etc...

just like booking a hotel, cheaper to book direct then go through expedia or booking.com etc...

I don't believe this is always the case, as they are several exceptions I have personally seen (coupons, promotions, discounted gift cards, cash back etc.)

Newbie here. Been researching for a couple months, and had pretty much convinced myself I want to go with the SG9665GC, and then I find this thread. Is the front camera significantly better in the DC than in the GC? Guess what I'm asking is if I should wait for the DC even though I really wasn't planning on getting a dual channel dashcam, but I guess the back camera can't hurt. Otherwise I already have the GC in my Amazon cart ($169.95 with 64GB card) and am ready to pull the trigger. Thanks, and I appreciate all the expertise I've found while lurking.

Newbie here. Been researching for a couple months, and had pretty much convinced myself I want to go with the SG9665GC, and then I find this thread. Is the front camera significantly better in the DC than in the GC? Guess what I'm asking is if I should wait for the DC even though I really wasn't planning on getting a dual channel dashcam, but I guess the back camera can't hurt. Otherwise I already have the GC in my Amazon cart ($169.95 with 64GB card) and am ready to pull the trigger. Thanks, and I appreciate all the expertise I've found while lurking.

I'm not sure about the quality difference, but I would personally wait for the DC as I figure it has the newest components as well as the dual camera aspect. Then again, I may be a bit biased as I've been waiting for this for over 6 months now..

I'm not sure about the quality difference, but I would personally wait for the DC as I figure it has the newest components as well as the dual camera aspect. Then again, I may be a bit biased as I've been waiting for this for over 6 months now..
I have been using Street Guardian products (and others) for 2.5 years, and I have found that with each version Street Guardian gets better, so it would make sense that the new DC will be better. Great sales and support as well.

The sensor in the front DC camera are much better in low light than the one in the GC, but this do not mean your chance of making perfect low light captures ( license plates ) will go up significantly, but the footage are indeed more pleasing on the eye as you can make out more in the low light footage.

This close to the launch date and with money not seeming to be the problem i would hang in there and wait for the DC to become available.

As you can see in this video where i compare the front camera of the 0906 to my GC camera ( same hardware as new DC front camera ) then you can see more in the footage with the new sensor used.

It is not game-changing in any way, but its better by a margin that i would go for it / recommend it for people not restrained by a budget.
I even think the newer sensor in the DC front camera have Technical / hardware options that will allow for daytime footage to also be better than the GC.
But this we might not have at launch, but i am sure after the Minions in the SG labs had some stabs at the firmware there will be a chance of that.

Last edited:
The sensor in the front DC camera are much better in low light than the one in the GC,....

As you can see in this video where i compare the front camera of the 0906 to my GC camera ( same hardware as new DC front camera ) then you can see more in the footage with the new Sensor used....

It is not game-changing in any way, but its better by a margin that i would go for it.
I've got real mixed emotions on 'enhanced' low light video.

In 'driving mode' (versus parking mode where more is better is a given) I'm sure I would not want a camera that 'sees' better at night than I do with the naked eye. In the event something should happen, say a child running out of the shadows in front of you, the enhanced night video could easily suggest that you should have seen something that in real life you could not - and this would not turn out well for you as a result.

The more I think about this the more I'm becoming convinced this one feature alone would be a deal breaker for me. If the camera 'sees' better than I do I don't want it (again, only speaking about driving mode - parking mode is a completely different matter).

I do see your point DT MI.
But i think the IMX 291 cameras are still within human capabilities in low light performance, or at least what our brain make us believe we see in the low light.
And yes if you have run over a child like that and upon reviewing your footage find it clearly visible, that would no doubt feel bad, but then you just have to remember that you did not see it with your eyes so you cant really blame yourself for not having super human powers.

It is a dilemma indeed, but at least you will have proof that the child just barreled out right in front of you, and with your human limitations that just left you with a even lesser chance of changing the outcome of the encounter.
In a situation like that i am not really sure i would want to review the footage, i will probably have to ask my friend to save the situation in the raw footage, and count on him knowing me well enough to know that is in the category of "stuff i really do not need to know or relive"

Last edited:
And yes if you have run over a child like that and upon reviewing your footage find it clearly visible, that would no doubt feel bad, but then you just have to remember that you did not see it with your eyes so you cant really blame yourself for not having super human powers.....
Actually, it's not a matter of how I would feel about it, I would feel bad no matter what. The issue for me would be how the legal system would view the incident. If it's clear and visible in the enhanced video the onus is then on me to to prove that was not the case in real life. That's not a situation I would want to place myself in just for the sake of having night videos that record something I can't see myself.

I know.
And with a person killed then here that would automatic bring in the police and the need for me to give blood.
But other than that, then it would most likely not be a case that would end up in front of a Judge, with any claims made against me, as we Danes dont have the same tradition that the Americans seem to have with lawsuits for this and that.
Sadly we Danes do not have a thing like vehicular manslaughter, we do have things to use if people handle a car in a negligent way and endangering other people, but nothing in regard to use a vehicle as a weapon.
This is also why if you want to kill some one, drink a little, then run his as over and then pop a couple of pills and drink some more, this will still land you a lesser sentence than if you plunged a knife into the person.

And i also think even in a American court of law it will bee hard to prove beyond any doubt that what the camera saw you should also have seen and reacted to, and as you dident with the sad outcome then you have been a negligent driver in the moment of the accident.
The human eye are pretty limited in its capabilities in this situation, so it would be really unfair to compared it to a artificial eye with none of the human limitations.

Also here i am not even sure the police will see my camera, and even if they do i am not even sure they can ask for the footage with me then being forced to hand it over.
Not even sure in America if your footage can be used as evidence against you ?
or If it is " anything you say,,,,, and record, will be used against you in a court of law"

Last edited:
Yeah if you are in a hurry to get going, and have a worthwhile place / person to donate the "old" GC to (y) Nothing beats the joy of giving.

As i said its more easy on the eye and you can see more, but the level of fine details you can capture in low light are just about the same, cuz the new sensors while more light sensetive they still drop down to a slow exposure time, so the motion blur are still there in low light feature but with the new sensors you can just see more of it.

But playing the video live then it look really crisp and fine, but inspecting footage frame by frame and the challenges to the new sensors are still the same.

BUT ! as i said i think its worth it for sure, and the GC will remain a good camera for a while so the wife will be in good digital hands.

And if you have the same situational awareness like i have driving you will know all manners of stupid go on out back, so a rear camera is a good idea, not least if you plan on sharing with us other guys some of the WTF moments you encounter in traffic.

Last edited:
I could always get the GC, and when the DC comes out, I can put that in my car and install the GC in the wife's car. Thanks for the input everyone.

Good Plan :)
The GC is on sale today since it's Amazon Prime Day (Once a Year mega sale) Sales are on fire (record day today) Prices return back to normal at midnight. (PST)

Yeah and i think that will be just fine for the rear view that i also call a secondary angle in my dashcam world ( just like side cameras ), back there it is impaired, at least driving on dark roads with no ambient light, same goes for the side cameras.
No doubt the DC will be just fine, and remain so for quite a while unless something extraordinary become possible to make,,,,, but i doubt that.

While nice to think about then dual IMX 291 are not really worth it unless they drop to same prize as the "old" sensor,,, and hardware gain support for 2 of those.

Yeah i suspected its not sensor price that are stopping people walking down that path.

Back