Street Guardian SG9665GC vs Mini 0805

Timothy Downing

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys, just about to purchase my first dash cam and want to see if anyone here has thoughts on which one I should go for.

My requisites are:

- Less than $250 (AUD)
- Discreet
- Med to high quality image
- Reliable
- Good support if something goes wrong with it.

I can get the Street Guardian SG9665GC for around $235 locally or the Mini 0805 for $159 via an online (Australian) seller.

I've read that the guys at Street Guardian (specifically Jokiin) stand behind their products pretty well but don't know whether this is enough to make their more expensive cam worth going with.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tim

i see that you're in oz. if heat is of any concern to you then that might automatically disqualify the mini. i'm a fan of the mini's picture quality but the reliability of the street guardian models are on another level in my experience.

Also consider the SGZC12RC, which meets all your criteria. I bought it in preference to the SG9665GC, as it has real buffered motion detection. It uses capacitors not batteries.

image.jpg

Nr.1 for users of Dashcams in Australia = Supercapacitors. Rest is secondary.

From Darwin to Hobart & Perth to Brisbane everything in between should be on supercapacitors

PS. I am in no way affiliated with any capacitor maker or seller.

From Darwin to Hobart & Perth to Brisbane everything in between should be on supercapacitors

PS. I am in no way affiliated with any capacitor maker or seller.
Here in the UK, today I pointed my IR thermometer at my dash. Even though I had just burned my fingers touching the rear view mirror, I was a bit surprised to see 98.6 degrees C, well above the maximum specification for any supercapacitor!

Here in the UK, today I pointed my IR thermometer at my dash. Even though I had just burned my fingers touching the rear view mirror, I was a bit surprised to see 98.6 degrees C, well above the maximum specification for any supercapacitor!

So what's the solution, a lithium-polymer battery instead?

Super-capacitors consistently will endure far higher temperatures (and lower) for longer periods of time than any lithium battery and at least for now, until some better technology comes along, they are by far the best and only alternative option in a dash cam.

For some peculiar reason, you consistently post negative comments and misinformation about super-capacitors.

Last edited:
You were on red alert over there because temperatures could go up to (a mere) 30ºC. Imagine what it would be like if you had to endure 3 weeks with highs between 38º and 42º!!!

You were on red alert over there because temperatures could go up to (a mere) 30ºC. Imagine what it would be like if you had to endure 3 weeks with highs between 38º and 42º!!!
The temperature of the camera in a locked car depends mainly on the amount of energy being received from the sun, not the air temperature outside.

During a non-cloudy day at this time of year the UK gets more energy from the sun than Egypt does, thankfully we get some cooling from the arctic but that doesn't help all that much for a camera roasting behind glass.

The temperature of the camera in a locked car depends mainly on the amount of energy being received from the sun, not the air temperature outside.
When the camera is protected from the sun but the whole car isn't, the temperature inside the car is always higher than the air temperature outside and the camera isn't immune to that. Ah, and I forgot to mention that yesterday's UV level was 10. The maximum is 11.

a1mLXFW.png

I think no one in their right mind would leave the car in the sun, with a camera inside, with 40ºC temperatures outside and high UV radiation levels. It's not only the damage it can do to the camera, it's everything else heat-affected inside the car.

I think no one in their right mind would leave the car in the sun, with a camera inside, with 40ºC temperatures outside and high UV radiation levels. It's not only the damage it can do to the camera, it's everything else heat-affected inside the car.

Our Panorama S/X2, and Street Guardian SGZC12SG/SG9665GC customers do it all the time. (no problem in extreme heat/cold, keeps on recording) and no heat lens focus shift as well.

Mine sat in the sun at 47c last summer, parked outside in the driveway it was plenty hot inside the car that's for sure

Our Panorama S/X2, and Street Guardian SGZC12SG/SG9665GC customers do it all the time. (no problem in extreme heat/cold, keeps on recording) and no heat lens focus shift as well.
But for all the people that don't use their cameras in parking mode that won't be a problem because if the temperature inside the car is not suitable for a camera, it sure isn't for a human being.

So when the camera just sits inside the car, not recording, and the inside temperature reaches, let's say, 45º to 55º Celsius, how does that affect the battery? (Mind you, I only power the camera after the inside of the car is cool enough for me to be in there.)
What I'm trying to establish here is if the capacitor makes such a big difference when the camera is not recording under such high temperatures, because unless you don't have A/C in your car, a camera with battery will always operate at cooler temperatures. Aren't capacitors also prone to shortened lifespans when working for long periods of time under extreme heat?

Some people have no choice. My wife, for example, has assigned parking at her workplace and the car ends up parked in a north/south direction with no other option. Either her front or rear camera will be in direct sunlight - and she is not going to remove/reinstall 2 cameras every day, even if I explained to her why it would be advantageous. :rolleyes:

So when the camera just sits inside the car, not recording, and the inside temperature reaches, let's say, 45º to 55º Celsius, how does that affect the battery? (Mind you, I only power the camera after the inside of the car is cool enough for me to be in there.)

temps inside the car can easily reach 30c above the ambient temps, forget operating temps, you'll exceed storage temps on some of these battery powered models

Back