Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Lens, Sony Exmor IMX322, WDR

I have little experience with dash cams so this might be very common in every camera but in all of the night videos posted for the X1/X2 there are no really clear shots of the license plates of passing cars, only the car in front, and only at close range.

The reason I am wondering about night performance of passing cars is because one night I left my car parked along a busy street and a taxi knocked my $600 mirror off while I was away. Some good samaritan recorded his license plate but it was incorrect and we could not pursue the taxi. At that price, a dash cam would have saved me $$$ IF parking mode was good enough to record the night time plate of a car passing by. It seems like the X1/X2 wouldn't have helped anyway (according to the glare/blurry night quality of the plates of passing cars). Would a polarized or CPL lens filter correct this?

the filter is for reflection issues, will actually accentuate the problem at night rather than improve it

I understand that at night, any filter will reduce the amount of light coming through. While I know I cannot compare camera lenses to eyes, if I wear glasses with lenses that are polarized and have anti-reflective coating at night, most reflections/glare/halo effect disappears and I can see clearly. Wouldn't that be a good thing for these cameras even though some light is filtered out?

No sadly CMOS chips dont work like the human eye, or should i say thank god they dont work like that, the human eye only focus on a little bit, the rest is extrapolated by the brain or out of focus.
I have never used the filter that came with my camera, i prefer to have reflections in daytime ( as i am not recording movies with my dashcam ) and then have the best possible night footage.
And at night is where dashcams really have to work hard to get good footage, and even then the best cameras of today dont really produce good night footage.
The problem is that they all step down to 1:30 second exposure times to get bright enuff footage, and 1:30 second is a long exposure time when you are filming or photographing somthing that move fast.

Witch is why even with the best dashcam of today they only make good night footage of what is right in front of lens, and move at the same pace as the camera. ( other cars in front or overtaking slightly faster than you drive )
The objekts at the edges of the frame is going by too fast for the camera to be able to capture them clearly, so there you will see blurred licenceplates on roadside parked cars and roadsigns at night.

But never forget what the dashcam is doing 100% right most of the time is recording that you dont do anything wrong, so if somthing happen it must be the fault of the other person or circumstances.

Last edited:
New enhanced large memory card exFAT firmware is working great. X1 factory Testing is going well. This new exFAT super stable firmware was just applied to the X2 and is coming soon to the G as well. No ETA on X1 availability just yet should know soon.

just reading on Pier28's online store it has a comment about the X1 "The First Version available will not have GPS"
is this correct? if so how long will it be until the second version comes out as I want a version with GPS.

any further news on this X1?

hows the testing of this cam going? any issues with anything yet?

@niko: Thanks for the information: is this meaning that the retail version of X1 is soon to be released ? Do you have an estimated retail price ? And finally, is your online shop operational? Sorry to bother you with many questions. Be safe and sound!

@niko: Thanks for the information: is this meaning that the retail version of X1 is soon to be released ? Do you have an estimated retail price ? And finally, is your online shop operational? Sorry to bother you with many questions. Be safe and sound!

All questions are welcome.
Still "tuning-up" some things for my on-line shop. Hope soon can share it with a public.
As per X1 retail version, - no ETA or price yet known.

@niko: thank your for a prompt reply.
So, I will put this thread on my watch list to get the latest news!

Any opinions as to the quality of the LCD screen ?
Resolution of the LCD ??
Been thinking a X1 might land on my scope on the airrifle, would love to see how it cope with IR light ( with a ir pass lens offcourse )

Any opinions as to the quality of the LCD screen ?
Resolution of the LCD ??
Been thinking a X1 might land on my scope on the airrifle, would love to see how it cope with IR light ( with a ir pass lens offcourse )

2.7"TFT LCD, 16,000,000 true colour display.Capacitive touch panel.

Last edited:
Back