The Lukas LK7950-WD has landed - dual channel TI / Sony IMX322 dashcam with Wi-Fi - Ongoing review

I noticed this camera along with other Lukas cameras has an auto format function where it can auto format the cards say once a month so that you can be sure you don't get issues due to filesystem corruption.

Of course there's a risk something could happen while parked which would get formatted but if so you should be able to recover with data recovery software.

Also the manual lists the lifespan of the SD cars to be six months - this seems to upset people but in reality it is probably about right for cheap TLC memory.

SD cards only have so many wrote cycles and if you have a camera running parking mode for six months that could potentially be a card getting towards the end of its lifespan.

@ reverend yes the trip mileage/kilometres seems to be a problem on my LK9750 duo also and the speed is not showing at all....I cant send any samples to LUKAS I seem to have a problem with ONE DRIVE it wont let me send any files and I cant seem to solve the problem I want to place ONE DRIVE in the dustbin but I cant seem to do that either.....Yet another microsoft lash up.....I could save to dropbox before and email to Lukas but it goes straight to one drive and is stuck there........I have sent a SD card with video samples via the post to LUKAS.....it just takes longer that way......Ipol

I've sent them a few samples now mate as well as some other suggestions and requests so we'll see what they say :)

I've been taking a look at the firmware and hoping to start pulling that apart soon - watch this space ;)

I've not used MS OneDrive much - I'm using it for a project I'm doing at the moment and it's ok for spreadsheets and Word docs, not sure how it would cope with massive files like Mega do though.

Sounds like they have a glitch in their code across all the models which needs fixing, hopefully they'll be able to do it.

I've sent some stuff over to Vadim as well as Registrator Viewer seems to flag all the files with a warning and I'm not sure why?
..:: Edit ::..
Vadim has replied to say that Registrator Viewer does not support .AVI files and so the Lukas cameras producing .AVI files are not compatible with RV and you must use the Lukas software.

Last edited:
There was a similar glitch with the LK7900ACE after several attempts and firmware updates Lukas finally solved the problem so I guess it will be sorted eventually.....I am trying to route my downloads to another destination .....Unfortunately One Drive keeps raising its ugly head each time......Ipol

Microsoft have got you caught in their trap!!

I use mega.co.nz - you get 50GB for free which is good, but sometimes the upload speed can be very random.

You can get a free 5GB with these guys too:
https://www.goldenfrog.com/dumptruck

The .AVI files the Lukas generates seem to be quite hard to work with editing wise - RV can't save footage in the format they use and the same files are causing the engine in CyberLink PowerDirector to crash as well!

Yeah these look to be crashing the entire codec engine though mate - they play ok but anything other than that is painful!

Just cracking Handbrake out to see if that will let me sort it :)

Morning reverend well I seem to have bypassed one drive and managed to download to dropbox although a 3 min file took forever.....Have sent 3 sample videos to Lukas but wont know till tomorrow at the earliest if it was successful Time will tell ....Off to pick up family for sunday lunch........Handbrake or Handbook :D

Nice one mate, mine is definitely doing it too - a 70 mile trip yesterday resulted in an incremental total of almost 300 miles according to the video stamp at the bottom!

Not sure if you have seen the same on yours but I'm running Windows 10 beta here, and the last files saved show up as corrupted when trying to play in the standard Windows Media Player and won't play in Lukas Viewer either - but they do play back fine in VLC.

I'm guessing they aren't being closed properly before the camera shuts down maybe but it's another bug for Lukas to fix as they're the most important files.

Well I got all the video transcoded eventually to highlight this guy:

You'd have thought it would have made more sense for him to pull in behind me if he wanted to come off the motorway - as it was it's lucky my spidey sense started tingling otherwise I could have hit him when he put the brakes on (just changing the audio again as the first one goes a bit mental half way through!!)

The front channel was set to a brightness of 2 for this one and I have the rear set to dark tint.

He still had plenty of time before the exit he could have advanced somewhat before moving left......Instead he cuts you up .....numbskull......well I am chief cook and bottle washer and I am no james martin so its off to the kitchen.......Ipol

So last night I realised that you can change the brightness that the camera is recording in while the camera is still running.

Also it appears that you can use the live view from the camera without it affecting frame rate of the recorded video.

This clip was filmed with live view running and then you can see that the brightness setting was changed down from 2 to 1 (darkest) at around 01:54 and then changed back up to 2 at around 02:50.

Even on the darkest setting the video is still brighter than some of the cheaper dashcams.

I've run the Lukas full size SD card through CrystalDiskMark with a Kingston USB3.0 FCR-HS3 reader to see how it looks - results are below:

upload_2015-3-16_13-24-34.png

Code:
Lukas 32GB SDHC Card
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read :    87.869 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    39.312 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    60.382 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    23.291 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     6.437 MB/s [  1571.5 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.805 MB/s [   196.6 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     8.596 MB/s [  2098.6 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     1.382 MB/s [   337.4 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [F: 68.0% (20.5/30.2 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2015/03/16 13:24:40

It works fine for the job but note they only warranty the cards for six months - this is more due to the fact that a lot of SD cards these days can only handle so many write cycles so they are covering themselves.

As a comparison here are some results from some other full size SD cards I have - if you're looking at changing cards you want one that is faster than all of the figures for the Lukas card (primarily for the write figures), otherwise you may get unexpected issues longer term:

Code:
KomputerBay 128GB SDXC Card

Sequential Read :    89.139 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    34.425 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    61.621 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    30.218 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     6.539 MB/s [  1596.5 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     1.068 MB/s [   260.7 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     9.130 MB/s [  2229.0 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     1.496 MB/s [   365.3 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [F: 0.0% (0.0/119.3 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2015/01/06 21:00:08

Transcend 64GB 45MB/sec 300x SDXC Card

Sequential Read :    89.051 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    39.366 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    61.177 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    46.238 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     7.492 MB/s [  1829.0 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     1.937 MB/s [   473.0 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     9.330 MB/s [  2277.9 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     2.590 MB/s [   632.4 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [F: 15.7% (9.3/59.1 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2015/01/06 21:07:40

Sandisk Extreme 32GB SDHC Card

Sequential Read :    46.888 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    41.971 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    37.112 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :     4.044 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     4.615 MB/s [  1126.8 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     1.165 MB/s [   284.4 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     5.486 MB/s [  1339.3 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     1.000 MB/s [   244.1 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [F: 97.8% (29.1/29.7 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2015/01/06 22:58:36

Last edited:
OK there's an issue with these on firmware Fi05 and the closing down of the last files - twice now the last files as the camera has shut down have been corrupted - both front and rear.

They won't play with the Lukas Viewer or WMP but do play in VLC.

The problem has been reported to Lukas along with sample files and waiting to hear what they say about that one.

Last edited:
You can see the difference between the good and the bad files below:

A good file:
upload_2015-3-18_15-4-24.png

A incorrectly closed corrupt last file:
upload_2015-3-18_15-5-23.png
You can see the corrupt file does not enumerate the streams correctly.

Interesting!
My videos play fine in Potplayer but mediainfo has same properties like yours for the last file.
It plays fine though.
Maybe it's not closed properly for mediainfo to see. Hmmm....

General
Complete name : F:\AlwaysMovie\alwa_20150317_082637_F.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 22.1 MiB
Writing application : Lavf52.50.0

Video
ID : 0
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec ID : H264
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 16.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves

Ah try playing those last files in the Lukas Viewer mate and at a guess they won't play at all - I'm getting the same error in Windows Media Player too. They should be able to fix that in firmware for sure :)

Ah try playing those last files in the Lukas Viewer mate and at a guess they won't play at all - I'm getting the same error in Windows Media Player too. They should be able to fix that in firmware for sure :)
Haven't installed Lukas on computer but WMP plays those last files fine even when MediaInfo doesn't have all the bit rate information.
Maybe it's saved properly but not as what mediainfo needs to check at end of file.

Back