The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

Their sales on ebay have gone way way down since implementing the hike. But people are still buyin' em. A bidding war even broke out over the last one. Well maybe just a skirmish, not a war. I count only ~15 sales on ebay in the 2 weeks since the increase, whereas there were easily 100 sales per month before then. If you figure they were making $10 per sale before, and $50 a sale now, you can see that they are still doing a good bit better money-wise now. So unless the Koreans come up with a suitable response, this will likely be the new pricing for a while. It might have made better business sense to increase the price gradually to buffer the sticker shock, but the manufacturer correctly calculated that even with the possible audio problem this camera has no real competition at this price point at this moment in time.

Received the one from FoxOffer, very happy with the delivery and item.

working pretty good at night.

http://youtu.be/dL9CuaZ9haw

However I guess it could do better at night if I adjust the EV a little bit. Any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a test with EV +1 or +2.

enjoy,
Mtz

My DR32 from Foxoffer arrived as well.

Ordered on 10/5/13 arrive 17/5/13 via HongKong post

The 32gb micro sdhc class 10 card was already inside the system, it does look a bit dodgy in terms of printing etc.. but it does seem to actually have 30gb of space.

I will post a detailed review / thoughts / etc later on. Still setting up and enjoying new toy :p :lol:

DR32 bought from Foxoffer (Hetai Version)
Came with 32gb Sandisk micro sdhc Class: U1 installed inside the camera already. Can't tell if real or fake, but it was copying files at ~10 MB/s

medic7000 said:
you think a black permanent marker would work to cover the ring?
To answer that questions - YES!!!!! You can :D :p :lol:
Below is a picture, it definitely reduces the visibility and makes it more discreet - no means a perfect solution but it does help it camouflage a lot.

20130517_141125_1.jpg

20130517_150939_1.jpg

20130517_141428_1.jpg

20130517_154105_HDR_1.jpg

20130517_154130_HDR_1.jpg

Video below taken in 1080 30fps +2EV (Post firmware update - though I'm not sure if it successfully updated or not as issue still persists):

Well, I was thinking of buying it @ $99 but no way I will buy @ $139.
It looks like manufacturer and resellers are using the Forums hype to make a 40% profit increase on top of what they normally make....too bad...won't see my business.

32gb card? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Maybe they need to make it a "secret gift" so that nobody can hold them to it being a "genuine 32gb Sandisk class 10" card ;)

laalaa99stl said:
Maybe they need to make it a "secret gift" so that nobody can hold them to it being a "genuine 32gb Sandisk class 10" card ;)
Or to appease Hetai who are price fixing ?

laalaa99stl said:
Probably spot on :)

jing713 said:
Came with 32gb Sandisk micro sdhc Class: U1 installed inside the camera already. Can't tell if real or fake, but it was copying files at ~10 MB/s

Below is the packing for Sandisk card foxoffer shipped, they removed the packing to avoid customs trouble. China customs need a lot paper work to export well-known products, also the import customs will charge high customs duty for it, so remove the packing will make the things mush easier.
A perfect camera always need a perfect card, FoxOffer understand it well.
sandisk_32GB_class10_1.jpg

sandisk_32GB_class10_2.jpg

billknow said:
jing713 said:

Below is the packing for Sandisk card foxoffer shipped, they removed the packing to avoid customs trouble. China customs need a lot paper work to export well-known products, also the import customs will charge high customs duty for it, so remove the packing will make the things mush easier.
A perfect camera always need a perfect card, FoxOffer understand it well.

That makes a bit of sense, how do you know though? :eek:
The card so far doesn't seem fake, I do have actual 30gb of storage and it doesn't seem to cause video stutter.

So, so far so good

Mtz said:
Make a test with EV +1 or +2.

enjoy,
Mtz

Night test EV +1
Post firmware update

[quote="j

That makes a bit of sense, how do you know though? :eek:
The card so far doesn't seem fake, I do have actual 30gb of storage and it doesn't seem to cause video stutter.

So, so far so good[/quote]

I can't say what was in the box you got but the picture provided is certainly what a full retail version Sandisk card looks like in China

Just wondering and thinking here.
Could the light traces be connected to the temperature of the sensor?

Just received mine yesterday. I managed to snag one at the older pricing some how :cool: It came with just the suction mount and 12V to USB mini adapter. I won't be using the latter because my car's accessory outlets are on ALL the time -- even with the key removed. Fortunately, I have installed an after-market stereo head unit with 2x1A USB connectors. I attached a USB cable to one of these and now I can turn the cam on and off with my keys.

A side effect is that I can actually access the camera as a disk drive through my stereo. To do this, I have to unplug the camera, select the correct USB outlet using my stereo, then plug in the camera. My stereo can't play any of the movie files (even sound only), but it did correctly read a few audio files that I happened to already have on the card. This is probably not a terribly useful thing since I will probably want to record my driving and listen to music simultaneously.

The suction mount is very strong. In fact, I was able to pick up a heavy 10 inch tablet computer using it. It isn't as enormous as people are making it out to be either. Technomoan mounted it upside down in his video in an effort to move the lens about an inch closer to the windshield. I drive a VW New Beetle which has a ridiculously long windshield and short bonnet. I could just about get away with leaving the cam upside down on my dash -- literally a dash cam, but doing so would 1) force me to flip the video in post processing 2) make the buttons impossible to reach while driving and 3) introduce a potential overheating situation by operating the device in a manner opposite to how its engineers anticipated the flow of waste heat.

I might have been interested in buying the smaller, square, 3M permanent mount with quick release because of the ability to quickly remove the camera when parked in a high-theft area, or to move it back and forth between two different vehicles. But I note with dissatisfaction that the Chinese sellers have increased the price on those as well (were $7.50, now $12). So I'll stick with the suction mount. It's really not that difficult to remove quickly if you use the pull tab.

Mtz mentioned using an O-ring to cover the eye-catching silver circle around the lens over in the firmware thread. But I've come up with my own solution for dealing with it. I took one of those foam donut inserts that you find packaged with blank CD/DVD/Bluray spindles, and I spray painted it black using a matte black spray paint. I pushed it over the lens and it seems to stay in place fairly well without the use of an adhesive. [See attached picture.] I find that this approach is better than using black magic markers ("Sharpies") because the marker leaves brush stroke marks and this way you can easily revert back to stock condition in one second. The net result is a fairly discrete installation, but it's still not as discrete as a Blackvue, ITB, or Jaewon.

I took the cam out on a short test drive using a 2GB card and with the recording interval set to 1 minute. The files averaged 90.5 MB in size so that a 2GB card is good for recording the last 20 minutes or so of your life :-O The manufacturer's estimate appears to be dead on and I would anticipate that a 32GB card would indeed hold 6 hours worth of your hopefully uneventful life. Oh, and just for the love of science, I inserted an almost full genuine 64GB Sandisk Ultra class 10 microsdxc card formatted in exFAT format. Guess what? It worked just fine! You should be able to document your entire road trip from Madrid to Paris. Or New York to Louisville. Or Los Angeles to Santa Fe.

As has been noted, the video quality is pretty respectable. I can read license plate numbers, but only if I'm about three feet away from the other vehicle. I did notice a slight wobble now and then due to vibration. It wasn't too terrible. I drive a 4-cylinder gas-powered vehicle (with a fairly recent oil change), but the wobble might be something to consider if you drive an old diesel. The cam would probably benefit from some type of mechanical image stabilization that doesn't interfere with the G-shock feature.

Nevertheless, the video isn't perfect. While I haven't yet observed the color streaking some have mentioned, I did observe the problem Technomoan mentioned: At twilight, the camera definitely seems to hunt for the correct exposure. I have a clip where the sky appears to look posterized, then becomes washed out white, then goes back to being posterized again. I could upload it if there's interest, but I think Techno's already covered this. I think a reasonable solution to this problem would be to have the camera measure exposure only according to what's happening in the bottom half of the screen.

I can confirm what someone else already said about the 720p modes; They are just a crop of the center of the sensor -- essentially useless on a camera such as this.

The optics do suffer from some flare when driving directly into the sun. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any easy way to add a multi-coated polarizing filter. The lense is about 0.75" (19mm) in diameter and has no threads.

In terms of audio, the good news is that my specific unit doesn't appear to suffer from the overdriven sound signal problem. It's either spec'd with the older microphone hardware or it shipped with the latest firmware already installed. As others have noted, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to check what version firmware is on the camera. The name "HETAI" is overlaid in the top right of the video along with the time stamp. It hasn't frozen up yet (knock on wood).

That said, every time I hit a pothole or big bump in the road, you can hear a loud ka-boom! sound in the audio -- almost like a gun going off. It's not a major concern since I'm much more interested in the video than the audio. Still, the camera would probably benefit from a low-cut filter on the audio.

For what I paid, I'm pretty happy so far. I don't know if I'd be equally happy under the new pricing regime, but sellers adding a second mounting option and bonus memory card seems to be lessening the blow for some. It may not be what the manufacturer originally intended, but I guess one way to think about it is that the early adopters were basically beta testers and the $99 was merely the introductory pricing.

In a few days I'll be posting some videos of the DR32 used as an everyday video camera over in the "DR32 as an action-cam" thread.

Wow! Sorry this turned out so long :oops:

Attachments

• ring_hider_s.jpg
    ring_hider_s.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 513
Find an USB cable with only two wires for the charging (no data wires).
Great solution with the CD O-Ring.
I don't like in USA the car plates. Letters are hard to see. So for USA people need very good cameras.
What firmware have you installed?

enjoy,
Mtz

laalaa99stl said:
Just received mine yesterday. I managed to snag one at the older pricing some how :cool: It came with just the suction mount and 12V to USB mini adapter. I won't be using the latter because my car's accessory outlets are on ALL the time -- even with the key removed. Fortunately, I have installed an after-market stereo head unit with 2x1A USB connectors. I attached a USB cable to one of these and now I can turn the cam on and off with my keys.

TRIMMED

For what I paid, I'm pretty happy so far. I don't know if I'd be equally happy under the new pricing regime, but sellers adding a second mounting option and bonus memory card seems to be lessening the blow for some. It may not be what the manufacturer originally intended, but I guess one way to think about it is that the early adopters were basically beta testers and the $99 was merely the introductory pricing.

In a few days I'll be posting some videos of the DR32 used as an everyday video camera over in the "DR32 as an action-cam" thread.

Wow! Sorry this turned out so long :oops:

Excellent review... thank you very much. I also snagged the DR32 last night through FoxOffer.com and will hopefully receive it before my road trip at the end of June.

Mikk36 said:
Mine just arrived, just 6 days from Singapore to Estonia (sometimes stuff even from UK doesn't arrive that fast).
As a small bonus, they have also put in a small MicroSD card reader.
[thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2012.18.47.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2013.57.30.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2013.56.23.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2012.18.06.jpg[/thumbnail]
First tests indoors looked good, let's see how it's on the road for me.

Hi Mikk36, Can I ask which seller did you buy from? I want to buy from one in Singapore (rather than China / Hong Kong). It will be faster to post.

Thanks!!!!! :)

sprockett said:
Mikk36 said:
Mine just arrived, just 6 days from Singapore to Estonia (sometimes stuff even from UK doesn't arrive that fast).
As a small bonus, they have also put in a small MicroSD card reader.
[thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2012.18.47.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2013.57.30.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2013.56.23.jpg[/thumbnail][thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/DR32/2013-04-03%2012.18.06.jpg[/thumbnail]
First tests indoors looked good, let's see how it's on the road for me.

Hi Mikk36, Can I ask which seller did you buy from? I want to buy from one in Singapore (rather than China / Hong Kong). It will be faster to post.

Thanks!!!!! :)
Although I already replied in the private message, here's for the others to know too, in case they have missed it previously:

There is really only one seller for the Hetai model on eBay.
powerdigital898, power-gps, beetleonline, eletech086, hxelepro360, internet-shop365 are all just Hetai and you can order from each of them. The only thing different behind them is the sales person that will be dealing with you.

Back