VIOFO A119 Mini 2 - Test and Review RCG

I tested this with a tape. you can try too. When you think of the left image as a square, there are more angles to the left. This can cause blurriness.
Can you trust a screenshot from the live view?
I've found the live view image is not 100% identical to recorded footage that's been downloaded, before being analyzed.

Can you trust a screenshot from the live view?
I've found the live view image is not 100% identical to recorded footage that's been downloaded, before being analyzed.
I tested it with an even circular tape pad. usually the left side is blurred. So I see that the viewing angle is more angled to the left.
You can do the same test with another object.
For example, take a stick and hold the stick across 90° and check if the stick is right in the middle of the live view.

Live view is the same as video recording. checked.

The left side sharpness problem is that the captured image is shifted slightly to the left.View attachment 66916
I tested this with a tape. you can try too. When you think of the left image as a square, there are more angles to the left. This can cause blurriness.

View attachment 66918
@viofo @VIOFO-Support I tried to shape it amateurishly. inside the red square is the current image area. It is a little bit smaller than the green area that should be. i.e. the current viewport appears to be shifted to the left. This is software related.

They can average it with software.

There seems to be an issue with overheating. more precisely, we witness this during daylight hours when the lighting is variable. But evening plate reading is good. I would also like to add that, since the projector led headlights have a sharp cut line, unfortunately, when the license plate of some vehicles is high, it becomes difficult to read. for this, enough light is needed so that the reflective plates can be read clearly. The image of the non-light parts is vaguely visible.
This is a due diligence that needs to be taken into account. It will be helpful for improvement.

That's why I suspended my review until this issue is resolved by VIOFO.
Yeah, understandable. I'm glad they're working on it. It sounds like they're actively working on some additional lens optimizations and some updated units should be available soon. For that reason I'm going to hold off on publishing my review as well so I can test and compare an updated sample against the copy I have now and add some additional info for people.
Is there any part of the frame in the second video that is sharp? Or does it all go slightly blurred? Sometimes with focus shift, your dashboard or wipers appear more detailed.
I do notice that the bottom of the frame looks sharper than the car. I assumed it was a focusing issue since, like you said, it is where the hood and wipers are. That said, taking a closer look, it also appears the focus shift affects the right side of the frame a touch more than the left.

So, I just got the unit. Do you suggest high or med bitrate? I'm running it at 60fps...Thank you!

Do you suggest high or med bitrate?
Film your own test footage, and compare it with your own eyeballs.
Take note of the files sizes too.
Do your own research, confirm & verify, use your best judgement, do what’s best for your application.
There's no such thing as "best settings" they are different for every user's application.
Since you just got your unit, make sure your check cold & hot focus.
Let the camera operate for a few hours to get to normal operating temp, and then compare the HOT focus to the COLD focus.
If the camera looses hot focus you'll want to return it while you're in the 30-day return police provided you purchased it from Amazon.
If you purchased it from the Viofo Official website you'll need to document your issue, and file a warranty claim.
-Chuck

I received two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the updated lens. These two units are replacing the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras that were sent by VIOFO that had problems losing focus when warm/hot. VIOFO stated that they updated the A119 Mini 2 lens with the lens used on the A129 Plus. I have limited front windshield space, but I had enough room to get one of the updated A119 Mini 2 dash cameras installed.

I'm happy to report that the lens stayed in focus during my weekly 3 hour shopping trip route. With the original A119 Mini 2 dash camera installed and at the end of the third longer parking mode session, you could definitely see a large focus problem. I must note that the temperatures in my area have become unseasonably cool for this time of year. The passenger compartment was reaching the upper 90s F by the end of the last parking mode session. It would get up to 120F in that same car back in August of this year. I'll have to do more testing, but so far the A119 Mini 2 dash cameras that were manufactured starting in July 2023 appear to have a lens that is more stable with regard to focus issues.

If you have one of the earlier A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with a lens that goes out of focus with exposure to moderate to high heat, VIOFO stated you should open a support ticket with VIOFO and you will need to provide evidence of the focus issue with your unit. After VIOFO confirms your unit has this heat related focus problem, VIOFO will replace it for free. VIOFO has stated that very few customers have reported this problem. I have to say that all three units I tested, one that I purchased from Amazon and then returned and the two original units sent by VIOFO, all had this problem.

Here are some screenshots from my 3-hour drive:
a119_mini2_01_20230922095813_000006.MP4_snapshot_01.03.jpga119_mini2_02_20230922100113_000007.MP4_snapshot_00.43.jpga119_mini2_03_20230922100113_000007.MP4_snapshot_02.15.jpga119_mini2_04_20230922101013_000010.MP4_snapshot_00.54.jpga119_mini2_05_20230922102614_000017.MP4_snapshot_02.28.jpg
a119_mini2_06_20230922110052_000029.MP4_snapshot_00.04.jpga119_mini2_08_20230922113912_000043.MP4_snapshot_00.07.jpga119_mini2_09_before_parking_mode_20230922114812_000046.MP4_snapshot_02.19.jpga119_mini2_10_after_parking_mode_20230922122647_000059.MP4_snapshot_00.03.jpg

A screenshot from one of the original A119 Mini 2's with original lens from August 2023. This is after the last parking mode session.
a119_mini2_01_original_lens_type_20230804114858_000328.MP4_snapshot_00.09.jpg

I received two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the updated lens. These two units are replacing the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras that were sent by VIOFO that had problems losing focus when warm/hot. VIOFO stated that they updated the A119 Mini 2 lens with the lens used on the A129 Plus. I have limited front windshield space, but I had enough room to get one of the updated A119 Mini 2 dash cameras installed.

I'm happy to report that the lens stayed in focus during my weekly 3 hour shopping trip route. With the original A119 Mini 2 dash camera installed and at the end of the third longer parking mode session, you could definitely see a large focus problem. I must note that the temperatures in my area have become unseasonably cool for this time of year. The passenger compartment was reaching the upper 90s F by the end of the last parking mode session. It would get up to 120F in that same car back in August of this year. I'll have to do more testing, but so far the A119 Mini 2 dash cameras that were manufactured starting in July 2023 appear to have a lens that is more stable with regard to focus issues.

If you have one of the earlier A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with a lens that goes out of focus with exposure to moderate to high heat, VIOFO stated you should open a support ticket with VIOFO and you will need to provide evidence of the focus issue with your unit. After VIOFO confirms your unit has this heat related focus problem, VIOFO will replace it for free. VIOFO has stated that very few customers have reported this problem. I have to say that all three units I tested, one that I purchased from Amazon and then returned and the two original units sent by VIOFO, all had this problem.

View attachment 67716View attachment 67717View attachment 67718View attachment 67719View attachment 67720
View attachment 67721View attachment 67723View attachment 67724View attachment 67725

A screenshot from one of the original A119 Mini 2's with original lens from August 2023. This is after the last parking mode session.
View attachment 67726
Good news indeed, but 3 hour shopping trip wowsers!

View attachment 67716View attachment 67717View attachment 67718View attachment 67719View attachment 67720
View attachment 67721View attachment 67723View attachment 67724View attachment 67725

View attachment 67726
Hey there! That’s is great news. Thanks for the info and your time and efforts.
I am guessing that any Mini 2s purchased now would have the corrected lenses? Maybe VIOFO can comment?

thanks again.

Hey there! That’s is great news. Thanks for the info and your time and efforts.
I am guessing that any Mini 2s purchased now would have the corrected lenses? Maybe VIOFO can comment?

thanks again.
I'd say so,. production batches would be fixed and sent out to storefronts

Good news indeed, but 3 hour shopping trip wowsers!
It's a 20 minute drive down the hill to Folsom, CA where the larger stores which cheaper prices are located. If I buy groceries in my small town, the prices are about 20% to 40% higher. Even with the high cost of gasoline in California, it's still much cheaper to drive the 20 minutes each direction. I usually stop at two to three stores. I spend about 20 to 30 minutes in each store and then drive the 20 minutes back to the house.

It's a 20 minute drive down the hill to Folsom, CA where the larger stores which cheaper prices are located. If I buy groceries in my small town, the prices are about 20% to 40% higher. Even with the high cost of gasoline in California, it's still much cheaper to drive the 20 minutes each direction. I usually stop at two to three stores. I spend about 20 to 30 minutes in each store and then drive the 20 minutes back to the house.
Haha I thought you literally had to drive an hour and a bit each way. Makes sense though and much cheaper like you say, buggery

While testing another VIOFO dash camera, I was using the A119 Mini 2 to capture comparison video footage. I found that when the light level is very low or totally dark the A119 Mini 2 video will have a purplish hue. The other VIOFO dash camera did not have that same issue. I mentioned this issue to VIOFO and it was stated this could be resolved in a future A119 Mini 2 firmware update. This test was with A119 Mini 2 firmware v1.0_20230912 installed and the HDR feature was enabled.

Here are two screenshots from the A119 Mini 2 footage. The left screenshot is from testing the HDR feature with only a flashlight shining directly on the plate. The second screenshot is with a completely dark garage (except you can see the glow of a power strip illuminated on/off button in the lower left).

a119_mini2_hdr_c0ha_20230924232332_000075.MP4_snapshot_00.50.jpg a119_mini2_c0ha_purple_when_dark_20230924232332_000075.MP4_snapshot_01.12_[2023.09.24_23.46.15].jpg

While testing another VIOFO dash camera, I was using the A119 Mini 2 to capture comparison video footage. I found that when the light level is very low or totally dark the A119 Mini 2 video will have a purplish hue. The other VIOFO dash camera did not have that same issue. I mentioned this issue to VIOFO and it was stated this could be resolved in a future A119 Mini 2 firmware update. This test was with A119 Mini 2 firmware v1.0_20230912 installed and the HDR feature was enabled.

Here are two screenshots from the A119 Mini 2 footage. The left screenshot is from testing the HDR feature with only a flashlight shining directly on the plate. The second screenshot is with a completely dark garage (except you can see the glow of a power strip illuminated on/off button in the lower left).

View attachment 67750 View attachment 67749
A similar situation occurs on the A129 Pro model when WDR is turned on.
I also came across this purple image on the a119 mini 2. I saw that it was like this in some of the videos I watched. Yes, when HDR is active, this purple situation increases when the light is the least.

It is not good to use A119 mini 2 without CPL filter on sunny days. The vehicle console is highly reflective. Of course, it may vary from vehicle to vehicle.
Also, at some angles where the sun hits, there is a purple tint, although not as much.

I found that when the light level is very low or totally dark the A119 Mini 2 video will have a purplish hue. This test was with A119 Mini 2 firmware v1.0_20230912 installed and the HDR feature was enabled.
Do you get similar results with HDR off?

VIOFO did provide a v1.0_20230926 test firmware for the A119 Mini 2 and the purplish color when the scene being recorded is completely dark has been resolved.

Screenshot from my dark garage with the updated firmware installed:
viofo_a119_mini2_purple_when_dark_test_20230926005841_000096.MP4_snapshot_01.27.jpg

It is already fixed. We have sent a new firmware to @rcg530.
If I buy a mini2 camera and if it have a focus problem.
How can I have it replaced, in the store where I bought it ( in Hungary) or by the manufacturer?

If I buy a mini2 camera and if it have a focus problem.
How can I have it replaced, in the store where I bought it ( in Hungary) or by the manufacturer?
If the vendor you purchased it from has a return period (30 days for example), you should be able to return it to them to exchange it for another unit. If your purchase is no longer covered by the vendor's return policy, then make sure you open a support ticket with VIOFO. I've been told that VIOFO has been manufacturing the A119 Mini 2 with the updated lens since July 2023. VIOFO stated there should be very little of the original A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the original lens in stock.

If the vendor you purchased it from has a return period (30 days for example), you should be able to return it to them to exchange it for another unit. If your purchase is no longer covered by the vendor's return policy, then make sure you open a support ticket with VIOFO. I've been told that VIOFO has been manufacturing the A119 Mini 2 with the updated lens since July 2023. VIOFO stated there should be very little of the original A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the original lens in stock.
Thanks for the quick response!
In principle, there is a 14-day return option.
But as I found out, it's not a Hungarian store, but a Polish one, but they sell here too.

At the official Hungarian distributor, the camera costs almost twice as much as if I ordered it from the Viofo site or bought it from the above-mentioned Polish/Hungarian webshop.

I would prefer to buy it directly from Viofo.
But since they are sent from Asia, 27% VAT and handling costs would have to be paid in addition.

In any case, I wrote a letter to the webshop to see if they could tell me when the camera was manufactured.

Thanks for the help and information!

Back