VIOFO A119 Mini 2 - Test and Review RCG

Friday, I drove my vehicle on my weekly shopping trip route. I stopped at three locations with the third one having a low bitrate parking mode session of 40 minutes. I uploaded a 3-minute video file (no editing) from an A119 Mini 2 with the updated lens (since July 2023). The video is a normal mode video created shortly after the third parking mode session was completed. This is the point when the A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the original lens would be out of focus. I'm happy to see that the new lens had a very good focus clarity after that final parking mode session along my route.

Dash Camera: VIOFO A119 Mini 2
Firmware: v1.0_20230926
CPL Filter: Yes
Firmware Bitrate: High
Outside Temp: 76F/24.4C
Inside Temp: 91F/32.7C
Desc: Normal Mode - After 40 minute low bitrate parking mode session

At the beginning of the video, the A/C was set to "Auto" so it was attempting to cool down the passenger compartment. You'll hear the volume of the HVAC blower motor decrease over the 3-minute video.

Friday, I drove my vehicle on my weekly shopping trip route. I stopped at three locations with the third one having a low bitrate parking mode session of 40 minutes. I uploaded a 3-minute video file (no editing) from an A119 Mini 2 with the updated lens (since July 2023). The video is a normal mode video created shortly after the third parking mode session was completed. This is the point when the A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the original lens would be out of focus. I'm happy to see that the new lens had a very good focus clarity after that final parking mode session along my route.

CPL Filter: Yes
Firmware Bitrate: High
Outside Temp: 76F/24.4C
Inside Temp: 91F/32.7C
Desc: Normal Mode - After 40 minute low bitrate parking mode session

At the beginning of the video, the A/C was set to "Auto" so it was attempting to cool down the passenger compartment. You'll hear the volume of the HVAC blower motor decrease over the 3-minute video.

Looking good, Viofo always on the ball

While I'm waiting for firmware updates for the A229 Pro / A229 Plus dash cameras from VIOFO, I removed the Vantrue S1 Pro dash camera and the VIOFO A229 Pro front camera from my car's windshield to make room so I can install two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras side-by-side. Unfortunately, one of the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the updated lens has a memory card slot problem. It will randomly detect or not detect a memory card being present in the memory card slot. I've asked VIOFO for a replacement for that dash camera. The problem showed up right when I checked the unit after receiving it and then it stopped for a short period of time and now the problem is back. I have a memory card in that second A119 Mini 2 that is "working" for the moment.

I want to gather footage using both units (CPL vs no CPL, HDR on vs HDR off, etc). I'm also experimenting with an idea I tried last year in trying to reduce the amount of direct sunlight that reaches the A119 Mini / A119 Mini 2. Last year's test was using a window screen film with small holes in it. That did help a bit. My new test is using a 3-D printed sunshade. This is just an experiment and a way to learn how to use 3-D modeling software and testing out my AnkerMake M5 3-D printer.

This is my A119 Mini / Mini 2 sunshade (top side view). There's a mounting block that is used to attach the entire thing to the windshield. It's 4mm thick which allows the main body to be offset from the windshield glass. There are air vents in the main body (90 degree vents - to not allow direct sunlight through) and then some "wings" on the side to block sunlight from directly hitting the side of the A119 Mini / Mini 2 case. There's notch on the bottom edge to allow the lens with a CPL filter to be rotated to its most upright position and not hit the sunshade. I use 3M 5952 VHB tape to adhere the sunshade to the windshield. The sunshade is 3-D printed using 1.75mm PLA+ filament on my AnkerMake M5 3-D printer.

1696276462970.png 1696276644035.png

This is the A119 Mini / A119 Mini 2 side of the sunshade. The center portion is where the adhesive tape on the GPS module attaches to the sunshade. You can see the bottom side of the 90 degree air vents as well.

1696276721686.png

Here's what it looks like installed in my car. Before you ask, I've made sure the HK4 connector that looks a bit off in the picture is fully pressed into the GPS module (after taking the pictures).

1696276879379.png 1696276966751.png 1696277017648.png

Last Friday, I confirmed the GPS module reception is not impacted by the presence of the sunshade and the 3M 5952 VHB tape worked well in keeping the dash camera and the sunshade attached to the windshield.

The weather forecast for this week shows temps returning to the upper 80s F to low 90s F. I hope to have some thermal pictures showing how much if any temperature difference there is between the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras.

20230926? I thought the latest was 20230912.... just curious...

Testing firmware perhaps..

Any way for me to know if I have the updated lens?
Didn't install it in my car yet.

Back in post #157 I reported that I was given firmware v1.0_20230926 to test for an issue that caused a purplish color when there was almost no light present in the scene being recorded. That test firmware version has resolved the purple color issue.

Back in post #157 I reported that I was given firmware v1.0_20230926 to test for an issue that caused a purplish color when there was almost no light present in the scene being recorded. That test firmware version has resolved the purple color issue.
That's very positive. Thanks for the update.

Any way for me to know if I have the updated lens?
Didn't install it in my car yet.
I don't know of any official way to determine whether you have the A119 Mini 2 with the original lens vs the updated lens. I've been told that VIOFO started production of the A119 Mini 2 with update lens in July 2023 and that virtually none of the older stock with the original lens is still out there unsold. I can only suggest to contact VIOFO via a support ticket on their website and provide your dash camera's serial number to see if they can tell you.

I have two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with the updated lens. One of those two units is not always detecting a microSD memory card is present when it is present. While it's working, I'm gathering footage and creating quick comparison videos.

The first comparison video has daytime footage from the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras and an A139 Pro. One of the A119 Mini 2 dash cameras has a CPL filter installed, one does not have a CPL filter. The A139 Pro does have a CPL filter. All three units has the HDR feature disabled.

I have two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras
Nice work Robert,
Wow, the CPL makes a huge difference on the A119 Mini 2.
I’ve always wanted to make one of these comparison videos but, I’ve never had two of the same dash cam to film simultaneously.

If by any chance you still have both Mini 2’s on the windshield, could you do this again at night to show how much darker the footage is with the CPL left on.
-Chuck

Nice work Robert,
Wow, the CPL makes a huge difference on the A119 Mini 2.
I’ve always wanted to make one of these comparison videos but, I’ve never had two of the same dash cam to film simultaneously.

If by any chance you still have both Mini 2’s on the windshield, could you do this again at night to show how much darker the footage is with the CPL left on.
-Chuck
I plan on gathering nighttime footage tomorrow night.

My planned tests are (0 = Off/Not Present, 1 = On/Present, C = CPL, H = HDR):
  • C0H1 / C0H0
  • C1H0 / C0H0
  • C1H1 / C0H1
  • C1H1 / C1H0

I plan on gathering nighttime footage tomorrow night.

My planned tests are (0 = Off/Not Present, 1 = On/Present, C = CPL, H = HDR):
  • C0H1 / C0H0
  • C1H0 / C0H0
  • C1H1 / C0H1
  • C1H1 / C1H0
Good luck! I know from experience that driving the same route 4 times at night can be tricky, trying to go at the same speed, with no control over other cars coming and going. Never mind the concentration required to keep all the settings correct, CPL on/off, not bumping the cameras out of alignment.....

Good luck! I know from experience that driving the same route 4 times at night can be tricky, trying to go at the same speed, with no control over other cars coming and going. Never mind the concentration required to keep all the settings correct, CPL on/off, not bumping the cameras out of alignment.....
During installation of the dash camera, I mark each front camera with a small amount of tape on the camera lens side and the camera body side to mark where the proper aiming of the front lens should be when installed. That helps for the "quick" removal/addition of the CPL filter. I now have a laser level I use in my garage to give me a common alignment point to aim each front dash camera. I have a location along the driving route that I park the car between configuration changes. I try to get two dash cameras of the same make/model to allow for easier / less driving loops so that I can capture footage with two of the configurations at the same time. I usually don't try to compare video from different driving loops, but I do try to maintain a similar speed as best I can while driving. I use the cryptic configuration markings (in previous post) in one of the user customizable text strings to note whether the dash camera had a CPL present (front) or whether the HDR feature was enabled. The addition of the "HDR" text to the status line in the recent VIOFO firmware versions has made that a little easier.

This morning, I drove my test loop to gather HDR On vs HDR Off video footage from two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras. I put together a video using the footage I gathered this morning. I show a few plate captures. The daytime "HDR Off" plate captures actually looked better. I recently returned from my nighttime drive gathering a lot of nighttime footage (HDR On/Off and CPL/No CPL). I start working on that video tomorrow.

Last night, I drove around my local town gathering nighttime CPL / HDR footage (in various combinations). I just finished a video with the first segment showing "No CPL / HDR On" vs "No CPL / HDR Off" footage. The second segment is my illuminated road sign test with the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras, an A139 Pro with HDR on and a Thinkware U3000. The last segment shows the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with HDR on, but one of them has a CPL installed to show how much impact a CPL at night has on the A119 Mini 2.

The last segment shows the two A119 Mini 2 dash cameras with HDR on, but one of them has a CPL installed to show how much impact a CPL at night has on the A119 Mini 2.
Nice work.
In the last chapter of the video it appears the CPL Filter does not make the image any darker.
Also, I saw a couple examples where the CPL Filter improved the readability of illuminated road signs.
Wow, is the A119 Mini 2 that good at adjusting / compensating for the reduced light from the CPL Filter or what?

Back