VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

Annoying bug:
Format warning comes up almost every time I start the car.
Initially, it was 15 days I think. I changed to 30 days and it still prompted so I turned it off and still comes up.
It's a zombie, never dies. :D
Worst part is, it doesn't record until you press cancel or okay.
When you start and drive, it's not easy to press ok button by feeling it behind the RV mirror since the okay button is same flat against other buttons.

Since the last FW, I had no format warnings on my beta A119. Strange that happens on your production A119.

Annoying bug:

Have you tried a different card? According to Viofo they add a special flag which is removed if you put it into a computer to look at videos. Perhaps the flag isn't successfully being added either from firmware error or a problem with the SD card.

Have you tried a different card? According to Viofo they add a special flag which is removed if you put it into a computer to look at videos. Perhaps the flag isn't successfully being added either from firmware error or a problem with the SD card.
I even formatted it in the camera.
I can try another card to test but none are brand new cards. They've seen computer in their life at least once. :D

Annoying bug:
Initially, it was 15 days I think. I changed to 30 days and it still prompted so I turned it off and still comes up.
Worst part is, it doesn't record until you press cancel or okay.
When you start and drive, it's not easy to press ok button by feeling it behind the RV mirror since the okay button is same flat against other buttons.

The first A119 (with June 2016 FW) I had , did that every time it started, and more; and each needed Cancel/OK : Date-time lost-reset , Format warning , Delete file (s).
I got it replaced and everything worked OK so far: It wasn't the micro SD because I used the same in the replacement, and it worked fine.
It is easy to remember the "OK" button by feeling it (bottom middle of the 3).

Last edited:
The first A119 (with June 2016 FW) I had , did that every time it started, and more; and each needed Cancel/OK : Date-time lost-reset , Format warning , Delete file (s).
I got it replaced and everything worked OK so far: It wasn't the micro SD because I used the same in the replacement, and it worked fine.
It is easy to remember the "OK" button by feeling it (bottom middle of the 3)
I'll stick a rubber button on the okay button if I keep it long.

I thought it's capacitor issue but date time is fine.
I'll try newer firmware and see if that problem goes away.

check the date and time for any anomalies, that is not kept by the capacitors
Today it's even worse.
I stopped for 5 minutes and it prompted to format.
Date time so far looks okay but maybe going downhill.

Today it's even worse.
I stopped for 5 minutes and it prompted to format.
Date time so far looks okay but maybe going downhill.

I take it you have formatted the card when prompted and not just cancelled, yeah?

I take it you have formatted the card when prompted and not just cancelled, yeah?
Yes and also tried cancel.
Either way, same difference.

what card is it?
It's either microcenter or adata. I have to check.
I'll try different card but I doubt that's the problem.

Seems like I'm getting the format warning message also after removing the card from the A119 and going over the videos on my computer. I click cancel and then it will start recording... But next time starting up again, it gives the same format warning message again and again every time it starts up...

edit: It seems like to me, every time I remove the card from A119 and go over the files on the computer, I must format the microSD card in the A119 in order for it to work again. Otherwise, it will always pop up the format warning message at start and won't record unless I hit cancel every time I start the car.

Last edited:
Seems like I'm getting the format warning message also after removing the card from the A119 and going over the videos on my computer. I click cancel and then it will start recording... But next time starting up again, it gives the same format warning message again and again every time it starts up...

edit: It seems like to me, every time I remove the card from A119 and go over the files on the computer, I must format the microSD card in the A119 in order for it to work again. Otherwise, it will always pop up the format warning message at start and won't record unless I hit cancel every time I start the car.

Same issue for me. Using the beta firmware.

Instead of removing the MicroSD, i tried just attaching in the entire dashcam unit to PC as Mass Storage mode and it works fine. No formatting messages. Not sure if this is a bug. @viofo

The latest firmware did change for format warning, will offer a new beta firmware for testing soon.

Thanks, looking forward to the new beta firmware. Forgot to say I was using the beta firmware also when I encountered the issue.

This is the second A119 I purchased and they both are not accepting the most recent Firmware update found on viofo.com.
I returned the first one due to menu popping up to choose language every single time it turns on. As mentioned, it did not accept the update too. I followed the instructions and have the light blinking (slowly at first and then rapidly) but once it turns on...there are not menu items for the MPH and gps stamps.
I purchased another a119 and it also does not accept firmware updates.

I followed the instructions and have the light blinking (slowly at first and then rapidly) but once it turns on...there are not menu items for the MPH and gps stamps.

that's the firmware loading, if you don't see the features or version have changed make sure you're loading the right version

that's the firmware loading, if you don't see the features or version have changed make sure you're loading the right version
I'm loading the version that is currently on the viofo.com site.

Back