VIOFO A119 V3

Anyone have a backup or link to download firmware v1.02?

° Can I connect dash cam with AV OUT cable with android smartphone?

It’s meant to goto a monitor with the old school yellow RCA plug input.

I’m not aware of any analog video input options for Android.

Yes you can - you'd need a USB On-The-Go (OTG) compatible phone, an OTG cable from whatever your phone has to USB-A and then an EasyCap based USB capture card (some of the cheap clones would work with Android too but it's a gamble sometimes which you receive).

The EasyCap cards can usually be picked up very cheaply from Amazon or eBay, I tried one years ago with I think a Lukas camera (it's been literally years!).

These are the sorts of things:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273949732258
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00SKCI232
Software wise you would want something like this app:

A119V3 does not have WDR, but only hardware HDR
HDR (translates as “high dynamic range”) is a special technology that enhances the graininess and contrast of videos. Its use allows you to make the picture more saturated and bright, increasing sharpness.
This is a function that will improve the picture obtained in adverse environmental conditions. In particular, it eliminates the negative impact of bright sunlight, preventing the image from being exposed to light. The quality of videos shot in the dark is also greatly improved.
HDR setup is done via the menu, function keys and display. Just select the item responsible for adjusting the image.
In the case of WDR, the DVR is equipped with an improved matrix, it is worth noting that WDR is a more expensive option, since it is based on making changes at the hardware level, providing for the installation of a special matrix.
But this technology is more functional and makes it possible to get a better and more realistic picture, even with a sharp difference in illumination.
True, they forgot to add that the WDR smears the picture, even in good light.

Here are my experiments!

WDR as HDR
Day
Night

Conclusion!!!
Now HDR will always be turned on

On amazon.de I read an interesting review about the VIOFO TK3 module. The module was installed with an A129, but the same goes for the A119 V3. Beside positive points there is also a negative one. The VIOFO TK3 module switches off at lower voltages than set! If you e.g. set 12.2 Volt, it only switches off at under 11.8 Volt! It was always 0.4 Volt lower than set.

VIOFO can solve this circumstance easily by adjusting the resistors R19 and R20. More details below in the text.

Customer Review:

The module is quite small and has nice long cables, which should be sufficient for most vehicles.
I found the operation quite self-explanatory:
* on the module is a slide switch, with which you can adjust with four positions, from which lower voltage threshold it switches off. So the car battery should not be discharged too much. Very practical if you leave the car standing longer.
* The module does not switch off immediately if the voltage falls below the lower voltage threshold, but only after approx. 30 seconds. This prevents the camera from suddenly shutting down if the battery voltage only drops for a short time. (e.g. if you open all windows at the same time or start the engine)
* On the camera you then set that you want to have the park mode and the camera already records a time lapse video (without sound) when you turn off the ignition.

I installed the module myself in the fuse box of the car, fused by my own 1A fuse. I could then lay the cables invisibly under the interior cover. At least with my car this worked well (Citroen C3).

Now we come to the disadvantages:
- At least my module switched off at much lower voltages than set! If I set e.g. 12.2 Volt, it only switched off at below 11.8 Volt! It was always 0.4 Volt lower than set. I wanted to set the threshold to 12.2 Volt, but I couldn't do that! At the highest setting of 12.4 Volt the module switched off at below 12 Volt.
- The camera used, Viofo A129 Duo, consumes a current of 200 mA in park mode (front and rear camera connected). Interestingly, this is only 10mA less than in normal driving mode. I think it's quite a lot.

For technology affinity:
I could eliminate the fact that the actual switching thresholds were 400mV lower than set. I exchanged two voltage divider resistors R19 & R20:
Old value: R19 = 75kΩ R20 = 10KΩ
New value: R19 = 100kΩ R20 = 13kΩ
There were SMD resistors in the 0603 package. You can get them in electronics shops or even here on Amazon.
The module is easy to disassemble, the corresponding screws are under the label.
Interesting...
You don't have a schematics for that HK3 Kit, by any chance, do you?
If you do, can you please share it, here or in PM. Thanks.

Now we come to the disadvantages:
- At least my module switched off at much lower voltages than set! If I set e.g. 12.2 Volt, it only switched off at below 11.8 Volt! It was always 0.4 Volt lower than set. I wanted to set the threshold to 12.2 Volt, but I couldn't do that! At the highest setting of 12.4 Volt the module switched off at below 12 Volt.
- The camera used, Viofo A129 Duo, consumes a current of 200 mA in park mode (front and rear camera connected). Interestingly, this is only 10mA less than in normal driving mode. I think it's quite a lot.

For technology affinity:
I could eliminate the fact that the actual switching thresholds were 400mV lower than set. I exchanged two voltage divider resistors R19 & R20:
Old value: R19 = 75kΩ R20 = 10KΩ
New value: R19 = 100kΩ R20 = 13kΩ
There were SMD resistors in the 0603 package. You can get them in electronics shops or even here on Amazon.
The module is easy to disassemble, the corresponding screws are under the label.

just received my kit today,

the one that i got , when set to 12.4V, is only cutting power when reaching 12.30V . it did not cut power on 12.33V
once it reach 12.30V, look like there is a build in timer, and it takes around 1min30sec for it to cut the power.
not too bad overall .

date on PCB board of hardwire kit 20190701

tested using a bench power supply, and cross checked using a fluke multimeter .
with the dashcam on, and recording, when the voltage was 12.55V, current used on the 12V rail was around 0.15A (but the amp reading may not be very accurate). = 1.8W of power.
HardWireKit-01.jpg
HardWireKit-02.jpg

Last edited:
Can you downgrade/change firmware back to stock V1.03 after updating to modded firmware?
I do not understand what to lower / change?
There is firmware version 1.03 !!
Want a stock V1.03, bet!
------------------------------------------------------------
Я не понимаю, что понизить/сменить?
Там прошивка версии 1,03!!
Хотите стоковую, ставьте!

HDR can be supported in the near future, just checked the new SDK now support HDR, we will check how it performs.

HDR can be supported in the near future
And the error of the expo parameter?
DVRs do not remember the EV parameter, went to the menu, set EV, say, -2, OK, Off - Turned on BP and the default image comes with EV, you need to enter / exit the menu, then everything works.
And if WDR was turned on, then there will be color artifacts.

Back