VIOFO A119S Modified Firmware MODs Archive

You have a plastic holder, the whole problem in it, you need a metal holder.
Too bad VIOFO won't sell the metal Lens holders as an upgrade to all A119S owners with older plastic base.
If I was a Vendor I'd order 100 units of A129 Lens metal holders and sell them for cheap DIY Lens Upgrade, or package deal = the new wide angle Lens + metal base combo.
First it was the poorly designed v1 GPS Mount now the thermal dynamic expanding plastic lens holder which replaced the original v1 off-center metal Lens base that caused the 'blurry-on-the-left' issue.

It's not scary, write in support.
You will have time to buy a new DVR

P.S . There is no sense in setting the focus on a plastic holder, it will float away, when heated and in hot weather.
With no return option and poor quality footage, there isn't much to lose if careful and delicate adjustments are made for short term use. Focus will last all winter with colder weather.

Well I tried adjusting it, I had an AV cable so I used my tv. I clocked it as much as I could in the direction the lens wanted to and its soft. I will see what Viofo support can do but now that I've cracked this open not sure if they will void the warranty.

Too bad VIOFO won't sell the metal Lens holders as an upgrade to all A119S owners with older plastic base.
need to write Viofo, I know that many users have been helped in this matter.

With no return option and poor quality footage, there isn't much to lose if careful and delicate adjustments are made for short term use. Focus will last all winter with colder weather.

I will try Viofo support first if not what camera do you recommend I get? I like the Viofo stick on style camera, hate suction cup mounts so I may just stick with Viofo camera just need to decide if I go a119s v2 or a129

Well I tried adjusting it, I had an AV cable so I used my tv. I clocked it as much as I could in the direction the lens wanted to and its soft. I will see what Viofo support can do but now that I've cracked this open not sure if they will void the warranty.
The adjustment required is the distance of turning the Lens the thickness of half a dime 0.5mm a tiny amount from original position.

The adjustment required is the distance of turning the Lens the thickness of half a dime 0.5mm a tiny amount from original position.

I tried small adjustments, the lens wants to be clocked all the way to the end for it to be useable image, any turn in the opposite direction and it begins to blur. Wonder if I can purchase the lens module alone somewhere.

Created new A119S - Beta version 5E
Well the Wacky Weekend MOD is back due to popular demand.
This weekend is featuring MENU Hacking 101.
The game is to see who can find the most modifications within this Beta MOD-5Em v2.61 MENU, only the very bravest should attempt this challenge, winner gets FREE Logo added to their favorite firmware.

FWA119S_Menu-MOD-5E_v2.61+25Mbps+Sharp35+Edge178+Sat1.bin
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LFXqHzRZiNozOkEcggFslt9AsOhleApC

Last edited:
I tried small adjustments, the lens wants to be clocked all the way to the end for it to be useable image, any turn in the opposite direction and it begins to blur. Wonder if I can purchase the lens module alone somewhere.
That is exactly what is greatly needed by the manufacturer to fix yet another failed fix to on going Lens focus issue.
Step 1) https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
Step 2) create VIOFO Account to monitor Ticket Status = https://support.viofo.com/support/login
Step 3) wait 14 days
Step 4) lucky if you receive replacement pledge
Step 5) unlucky if requested to ship back to China the entire Dashcam for replacement.
Step 6) wait 45 days for replacement.
Step 7) DIY Project

Great 7Hb v1.01 footage! ===> Q: what brand, size, model microSd card is that?
That 7Hb Beta looks better with @dacbuc suggestions using lower Edge Detection148 + Saturation15. Will probably need others to tweak revisions of this and v2.61 once the alternate Sharpness tables are tested further. Still searching for easiest way to adjust Contrast, Brightness, Gamma and White Balance. The official v2.61 is very good EXCEPT for the daytime over-sharpening and over-saturation.
I'd probably follow that Audi for a couple hours just for fun, he obviously likes a parade and eventually a cop would notice.

I was too busy building up a rage in my car to keep following that Audi. I was so ready to ram him. I didn't post the previous 5 blocks he was doing this for.

I was running a Sandisk Ultra A1 128GB until a few weeks ago. It is now lost in my backyard after I carelessly ejected it and it shot some distance while I was sitting outside... I have hope I might find it, but it might be a lost cause anyway because of the rain and storms recently. Currently I am using my previous Kingston 64GB microSDXC Class 10 U1 card. It was what I used in my old A118 original.

kingston.jpg

Here are some MOD 7K 2.61 clips to compare with 7Hb. Same road and parking lot, usual settings. They're from today, and about an hour difference from 7Hb, but the weather is almost exactly the same, save for the sun being a bit higher.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pcQO5PK9ePelIsfIkHQbPLhzKdsM3Ts7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HiHFNbe_8dRvmiAaDriRGmleR3yqHbBb

I was too busy building up a rage in my car to keep following that Audi. I was so ready to ram him. I didn't post the previous 5 blocks he was doing this for.

I was running a Sandisk Ultra A1 128GB until a few weeks ago. It is now lost in my backyard after I carelessly ejected it and it shot some distance while I was sitting outside... I have hope I might find it, but it might be a lost cause anyway because of the rain and storms recently. Currently I am using my previous Kingston 64GB microSDXC Class 10 U1 card. It was what I used in my old A118 original.

View attachment 41361

Here are some MOD 7K 2.61 clips to compare with 7Hb. Same road and parking lot, usual settings. They're from today, and about an hour difference from 7Hb, but the weather is almost exactly the same, save for the sun being a bit higher.

This is the best footage I have seen and is very detailed and sharp with great dynamic range , you Sir have a very good lens in that A119S

View attachment 41361

Great Beta 7K v2.61 footage, very helpful to drive the same route for comparisons. This 7K version has higher sharpness & saturation, maybe too much but makes everything pop, not really my cup of beer but close.

Q: in your previous shared clips are they all RAW footage or some cut & joined?
reason i'm asking is both sets have at least 1-2 frame skip just past 30seconds when viewing with different apps. can be caused by upload interruption, download interruption, joining clips, too high bit rate, too slow memory card write speed, dashcam button press during recording, heat issues, or cards needs to be formatted again if hasn't been done in last 60 days. Nothing serious just odd, could even be on my end from download site.

Great Beta 7K v2.61 footage, very helpful to drive the same route for comparisons. This 7K version has higher sharpness & saturation, maybe too much but makes everything pop, not really my cup of beer but close.

Q: in your previous shared clips are they all RAW footage or some cut & joined?
reason i'm asking is both sets have at least 1-2 frame skip just past 30seconds when viewing with different apps. can be caused by upload interruption, download interruption, joining clips, too high bit rate, too slow memory card write speed, dashcam button press during recording, heat issues, or cards needs to be formatted again if hasn't been done in last 60 days. Nothing serious just odd, could even be on my end from download site.

Yeah, the 7K video does pop, and as @ljw2k mentioned, shows good detail and sharpness. It seems to lack colour depth though, or gradients? Maybe that has to do with the sharpness and saturation, I'm not the best when it comes to the terminology. It just appears to be like there are less colours being utilised, and the transitions between the colours (ex: trees and grass in the pics) are very abrupt and kind of jarring. Whereas there appears to be more variety of colours in 7Hb, and they blend together more gradually to create a more natural appearance. Even taking into consideration that 7K was done closer to noon where it would be brighter, it still seems ragged.

7Hb: 7Hb.jpg 7K: 7K.jpg

In the 7Hb videos, the stretch of road and the Audi clip were snipped from the ends of one clip, and the beginning of the next. I used Registrator Viewer to set a beginning and end point, and saved the fragment. So if those were the 2 videos you were noticing skips, then there is nothing wrong on your end. Maybe Viofo can find a way to save files without split second gaps in between. Unless it is some kind of hardware limitation.

Yeah, the 7K video does pop, and as @ljw2k mentioned, shows good detail and sharpness. It seems to lack colour depth though, or gradients? Maybe that has to do with the sharpness and saturation, I'm not the best when it comes to the terminology. It just appears to be like there are less colours being utilised, and the transitions between the colours (ex: trees and grass in the pics) are very abrupt and kind of jarring. Whereas there appears to be more variety of colours in 7Hb, and they blend together more gradually to create a more natural appearance. Even taking into consideration that 7K was done closer to noon where it would be brighter, it still seems ragged.

7Hb: View attachment 41380 7K: View attachment 41381

In the 7Hb videos, the stretch of road and the Audi clip were snipped from the ends of one clip, and the beginning of the next. I used Registrator Viewer to set a beginning and end point, and saved the fragment. So if those were the 2 videos you were noticing skips, then there is nothing wrong on your end. Maybe Viofo can find a way to save files without split second gaps in between. Unless it is some kind of hardware limitation.
Great observations, I will always favour v1.01 until all image controls are accessed to fix v2.61.
I had a feeling you were joining clips, the presentations was just too perfect, the timing just couldn't be done with one drive. Actually VIOFO's MP4 clips have no overlay, they join perfectly with high end editing programs. Registrator Viewer is very useful but you need to tweak the frame merge setting from 1000 to 400-600 I forget exactly the number to prevent skipped/doubled frames at joint. There are dozens of small programs to allow minor crop and effects and join/merge features. I'm sure many of the Hooligans here will have suggestions for you or I can test them all over again and find the easiest and best WYSIWYG video viewer/editor.

Wondering if there is enough interest in creating a video series of "How To" create your own MODs. Breaking everything down in short 4-8min videos, from, Hex editor layout, using Hex editor, searching code by offset, string, hex, table, structure. How to capture default tables modify values and paste over correct location. How to identify specific feature data table start & end bytes. How to combine multiple MODs by reusing previous unpacked MODs. How to test changes quickly. How to discover hidden functions. How to compare multiple FW versions even across models and brands. How to modify firmware for other Novatek DVRs and help others. And most importantly How to become an outstanding Hooligan.
Any interest ? or just skip the video idea and maintain current course.

This is the best footage I have seen and is very detailed and sharp with great dynamic range , you Sir have a very good lens in that A119S

I think the trick is being shipped an A119S that has missing screws with the lens not screwed into it's housing...

Great observations, I will always favour v1.01 until all image controls are accessed to fix v2.61.
I had a feeling you were joining clips, the presentations was just too perfect, the timing just couldn't be done with one drive. Actually VIOFO's MP4 clips have no overlay, they join perfectly with high end editing programs. Registrator Viewer is very useful but you need to tweak the frame merge setting from 1000 to 400-600 I forget exactly the number to prevent skipped/doubled frames at joint. There are dozens of small programs to allow minor crop and effects and join/merge features. I'm sure many of the Hooligans here will have suggestions for you or I can test them all over again and find the easiest and best WYSIWYG video viewer/editor.

I agree, 1.01 is visually better. Hopefully full access to 2.61 can be figured out or settings provided by viofo to bring it up to par. It would be nice to just focus on current (and future) FW.

I felt the need to have to join clips to show what I wanted. There were times when I needed a few seconds extra here or there but it was in a different clip. I also prefer to keep my settings at either 3m or 5m clips so I don't have a huge list on the card. I was already using Registrator Viewer since it makes it very easy to cut clips down to 1m and erase audio if necessary. Might as well use it to join them as well. Now that I know that there is no overlay in the clips themselves, I was able to figure it out once you mentioned merge settings. I just set it to 0 milliseconds as a first test, from default 1000, and the gap went away.

Some of these clips were joined together, but you'll never know now. :D

Night comparison between 1.01 7Hb and 2.61 7K. Different nights, but surprisingly almost identical times.

Corydon:
7Hb: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OsI9YoCW74NqP6e6VGXuyhD0UJirnQ-2
7K: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ac2CKPgVVVqiiI9PQD2O2c84s1ego7SF

Osborne:
7Hb: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JGT7b7SRG1MlZ2F8wh-kxcWcLxrfW2xI
7K: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x_6P-K7LmNuXdJG0Qq9Wb60OqMErmL-e

The quality difference here is kind of shocking! 7K looks like it's being shown on an old CRT TV covered in static from antenna reception. Not to say it's bad, it's still very good for night video. I think it kind of provides more usable picture, especially on the peripherals where you can see more of what's going on on the sidewalks (Corydon), whereas 7Hb tends to be darker. But in terms of actual picture quality, to me there's no comparison.

mentioned merge settings. I just set it to 0 milliseconds as a first test, from default 1000, and the gap went away.

0 is the default but I'm guessing you set it to 1000 at some stage as that's what's needed when using the A118 to trim the overlap

Back