VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Recording failure
My A129 failed to commence recording last night, which is the first time I've seen such behaviour on this camera.

I parked at 22:00. Plugged in the powerbank at 22:01. It started up OK with the chime and the screen came on. Returned to car at 22:34 to find the screen was still on, but the camera was not recording. I unplugged it from the powerbank and the screen slowly faded to black. The camera resumed recording at 22:35 when I plugged it into the car adapter again. No files were saved between 22:01 and 22:34. No problems found with the recordings prior to or after this issue. The microSD card was reformatted in-camera on 25/02 when I installed MOD-9Uj, and the card is not yet full to commence looping.

I've used that powerbank many times before, including for 2hrs parking just 15min before this occasion, and it still had plenty of power. It's a PD powerbank capable of delivering 5V/3A so more than adequate for the A129.

Ambient temperature around 5degC so don't think that's a factor.

That's a software crash
Probable cause? FW, or an incorrect setting?

I just plugged the camera into the same powerbank and it started recording OK, so I can't replicate the problem.

I don't know why you are talking about 4K? None of the A129 firmware options upscale the native 1080p video.

Increasing bitrate helps to reduce the effects of video compression, seen visually in various ways including pixellation and loss of fine detail.

Motion blur is related to the exposure time for each frame, which is a function of the amount of available light, the aperture of the lens, and the sensitivity of the image sensor (including the ISO/gain set by the camera). To my knowledge, changing bitrate does not influence the gain applied to the signal from the image sensor. Increased bitrate would permit more image noise to be shown (alongside more image detail).

If default image quality works better for you, then MOD-27W seems a good choice for higher bitrate video. If you really don't notice any difference, stick with V1.50 and enjoy smaller video files and a cooler camera.

Thanks for explanation. Any input on why when i try to load clips via Wifi the first time always says error. Second time seems to work properly. Doesn't matter if 2.4 or 5G still same. Seems bit more finicky on this mod than the 7UJ

Recording failure
My A129 failed to commence recording last night, which is the first time I've seen such behaviour on this camera.

I parked at 22:00. Plugged in the powerbank at 22:01. It started up OK with the chime and the screen came on. Returned to car at 22:34 to find the screen was still on, but the camera was not recording. I unplugged it from the powerbank and the screen slowly faded to black. The camera resumed recording at 22:35 when I plugged it into the car adapter again. No files were saved between 22:01 and 22:34. No problems found with the recordings prior to or after this issue. The microSD card was reformatted in-camera on 25/02 when I installed MOD-9Uj, and the card is not yet full to commence looping.

View attachment 44953

View attachment 44954

I've used that powerbank many times before, including for 2hrs parking just 15min before this occasion, and it still had plenty of power. It's a PD powerbank capable of delivering 5V/3A so more than adequate for the A129.

Dumb question but did you reset your camera to default settings after loading Mod? I also suffered a similar issue when the origina Memory Card I used was incompatible with Camera. Though your memory card has remained the same throughout I imagine?

Thanks for explanation. Any input on why when i try to load clips via Wifi the first time always says error. Second time seems to work properly. Doesn't matter if 2.4 or 5G still same. Seems bit more finicky on this mod than the 7UJ
No idea - I don't use the A129 WiFi.

Dumb question but did you reset your camera to default settings after loading Mod? I also suffered a similar issue when the origina Memory Card I used was incompatible with Camera. Though your memory card has remained the same throughout I imagine?
Yes, reset to default. Same memory card for 10 months.

Yes, reset to default. Same memory card for 10 months.

Could just have been a software issue. On the 27W firmware, I had an io error. Never seen that on Stock or Modded Firmwares. But when I tried to load stuff via wifi, it went all buggy one time. Course, I still have the 2 attempts to get the videos to load issue. It was problem on other mods but more constant on this one. First time errors then second time works.

I'd say unless the problem is repeatable, could have been a one time software glitch.

Recording failure

View attachment 44953

View attachment 44954

Your A129 froze on Parking Mode detection, it's from the code designed to sense voltage from hardwire kit, with no signal it freezes after time out. Can be replicated easily if you select any Parking Mode Time Lapse setting and connect Power Bank to side power port.
A129 Duo stock firmware runs at 16-20 Mb/s with both cameras connected. Do you really expect Parking Mode to work perfectly loading my HIGHest Bitrate MOD? If it does work at all is amazing. You cannot push any camera to extreme limits and not expect crashes, use at your own risk.
I must admit none of these issues would occur if the A129 wasn't locked to the hardwire kit signals so power banks would be reliable as alternate power source such as on A119S + A119Pro + A119.
There is 'almost' nothing I can do, but (spoiler) . . . hacking an older A129 FW version before hardwire voltage sensing was enabled is a possibility for full Parking Mode support on Power Banks.

Do you really expect Parking Mode to work perfectly loading my HIGHest Bitrate MOD? If it does work at all is amazing. You cannot push any camera to extreme limits and not expect crashes, use at your own risk.
I'm not complaining - just reporting what happened.

Your A129 froze on Parking Mode detection, it's from the code designed to sense voltage from hardwire kit, with no signal it freezes after time out. Can be replicated easily if you select any Parking Mode Time Lapse setting and connect Power Bank to side power port.
I have low bitrate parking mode set, but it didn't get that far. It simply did not record at all after startup.

I have low bitrate parking mode set, but it didn't get that far. It simply did not record at all after startup.

It's probably analogous to the issue I improperly blamed on Bc's firmware. Your powerbank isn't as reliable as being "Correctly Hardwired". How does your camera function on Stock Firmware with Parking Mode? Ever had any of the problems you reported ?

Bchobbyists firmware messages are being diluted on this page here, can we not do the proper thing and make up a new post especially for the people that just want to pick up the FW mods

9Uj front video 1080p @ 30fps - video recorded the other day...

Thanks for sharing your A129 MOD-9Uj footage, those UK streets are my favorite, color saturation on Uj series is good but not vivid like Um, Un or Uo. Your Lens has excellent focus and a keeper. Great to see such a variety of roads and sun angles for more accurate image quality assessments.

What other Dash Cam do you have mounted beside the A129? I may have a few DCTeam side-by-side tests for you.
Did you notice increased detail using 30 Mb/s bitrate?

Bchobbyists firmware messages are being diluted on this page here, can we not do the proper thing and make up a new post especially for the people that just want to pick up the FW mods
You and I and a few others are in the correct thread, trolls and jackers are attracted here like flies since this thread has the most views and they want to be noticed. There is next to zero Forum Moderation thats why they troll here. There is a very useful "Ignore" account feature which is being used more and more frequently. I just use the "Report" link. The real interesting part is tracking the times they all post and what country they pretend to be from. You can accurately predict who will say what & when and in what order even after this post.

Thanks for sharing your A129 MOD-9Uj footage, those UK streets are my favorite, color saturation on Uj series is good but not vivid like Um, Un or Uo. Your Lens has excellent focus and a keeper. Great to see such a variety of roads and sun angles for more accurate image quality assessments.

What other Dash Cam do you have mounted beside the A129? I may have a few DCTeam side-by-side tests for you.
Did you notice increased detail using 30 Mb/s bitrate?

My three current dashcams are the 119 Pro, the 129 Duo, and the Nextbase 612GW.

The rear cam is a bonus, at whatever bitrate.

I think the footage from the one here is about as good as I have seen so far.

Is this the best modded firmware for the A129 Duo? This is my first ever dashcam and I haven't installed it yet. And is it compatible with parking mode?

Is this the best modded firmware for the A129 Duo? This is my first ever dashcam and I haven't installed it yet. And is it compatible with parking mode?
The A129 has advanced features one being Parking Mode which requires the 3-wire hardwire kit installed correctly to enable using all 7 modes including the famous 5fps Time Lapse. Lost in this thread are my suggestions to always run any Dash Cam with its pre-installed firmware for 1-2 weeks under normal driving conditions and SAVE some of this footage for comparisons later against future firmware versions or MODs but more importantly keep initial footage for possible Lens issue evidence.

Everyone has different Dash Cam preferences and expectations, if you plan to use the many Parking Mode options other than Low Bitrate Recording you must use official Viofo firmware and connect Hardwire kit to camera side port not the mount. For maximum image quality set Menu Bitrate to High and set WiFi Off while driving.

Back