VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

My three current dashcams are the 119 Pro, the 129 Duo, and the Nextbase 612GW.

The rear cam is a bonus, at whatever bitrate.

I think the footage from the one here is about as good as I have seen so far.
Agreed, using the extreme Bitrate MOD-9Uj produced the best video I've seen from your A129, remember not to use it in hot weather.
Will contact you about Pro vs Duo footage, just simple parking lot screenshots with lots of color to compare.

Agreed, using the extreme Bitrate MOD-9Uj produced the best video I've seen from your A129, remember not to use it in hot weather.
Will contact you about Pro vs Duo footage, just simple parking lot screenshots with lots of color to compare.
Hey man, any news from the 180deg rear camera?

The A129 has advanced features one being Parking Mode which requires the 3-wire hardwire kit installed correctly to enable using all 7 modes including the famous 5fps Time Lapse. Lost in this thread are my suggestions to always run any Dash Cam with its pre-installed firmware for 1-2 weeks under normal driving conditions and SAVE some of this footage for comparisons later against future firmware versions or MODs but more importantly keep initial footage for possible Lens issue evidence.

Everyone has different Dash Cam preferences and expectations, if you plan to use the many Parking Mode options other than Low Bitrate Recording you must use official Viofo firmware and connect Hardwire kit to camera side port not the mount. For maximum image quality set Menu Bitrate to High and set WiFi Off while driving.

I will definitely use Parking Mode and I did buy the 3 hardwire kit for it.

Do you mean run the camera for 1-2 weeks eith the updated "official" firmware? Or are you really talking about running it with the pre-installed firmware even if it's old? I read that you need the v1.5 beta to enable parking mode, right?

I did also read that when using the hardwire kit, I'd have to plug the power cable to the port on the side of the camera and not on the port on the mount. What is the reason behind this?

And why can I not use the modded firmwares in hot weather? I live in a tropical country and can get really hot here especially in the summer.

Hey man, any news from the 180deg rear camera?
I expect to test a newer IR Camera Firmware version within 2 weeks and will share footage same day. Exactly what month IR Cam will be available for public purchase is still unknown. It would be interesting to know how many are produced in first batch 1000? 3000? 5000? It will be a popular A129 accessory.

I will definitely use Parking Mode and I did buy the 3 hardwire kit for it.

Do you mean run the camera for 1-2 weeks eith the updated "official" firmware? Or are you really talking about running it with the pre-installed firmware even if it's old? I read that you need the v1.5 beta to enable parking mode, right?

I did also read that when using the hardwire kit, I'd have to plug the power cable to the port on the side of the camera and not on the port on the mount. What is the reason behind this?

And why can I not use the modded firmwares in hot weather? I live in a tropical country and can get really hot here especially in the summer.
Great questions... Any camera can arrive with misaligned Lens or other hardware issue, when claiming damage, for return, exchange or refund its always best to test the image quality and overall camera functionality using the pre-installed firmware so vendor cannot claim you damaged it with incorrect flash update. In other words plug it in turn it on and record footage even in your hand indoors or out window then keep this footage. Once Dash Cam passes your basic functionality tests install in vehicle as per instructions especially the hardwire kit. At this point if no Lens issues or obvious defects are noticed, you are correct to install the needed FW1.50 (newest) for A129 Parking Mode support.

A small cabling upgrade was missed in designing the A129 4-clip mount. It was built with only 4 connections, 2 for GPS signals and 2 for power, the camera side USB power port has 5, the extra 3 wires can conduct the new Hardwire ignition signals. Its too bad the GPS mount didn't have 6-connector plate or dual 6-connector plates so both the power cable and second camera could connect to mount for cleaner cabling.

All High Bitrate Firmware both official or MOD will increase stress to processor which generates more heat. The interior of vehicles in full sun in hot summer can reach damaging temperatures for any device. Now add to that extreme heat 45C from normal Bitrate Dash Cam operation, then add additional heat from MODs = reduced internal component lifespan. The Dash Cam will function and when 75-80C is reached it will trigger temperature sensor and shut off, repeat this and damage will occur.

Most effective ways to reduce Dash Cam heat is:
  • remove any internal tape blocking cooling vents
  • use 16-24 Mb/s Bitrate in hot summer
  • disable WiFi
  • disable Bluetooth
  • avoid 60fps and use 30fps
  • don't use Parking Mode in full sun for hours

For very HOT countries or seasons I can create specialized very low bitrate MODs to lower the processor load, side effect is much lower image quality and detail.

Great questions... Any camera can arrive with misaligned Lens or other hardware issue, when claiming damage, for return, exchange or refund its always best to test the image quality and overall camera functionality using the pre-installed firmware so vendor cannot claim you damaged it with incorrect flash update. In other words plug it in turn it on and record footage even in your hand indoors or out window then keep this footage. Once Dash Cam passes your basic functionality tests install in vehicle as per instructions especially the hardwire kit. At this point if no Lens issues or obvious defects are noticed, you are correct to install the needed FW1.50 (newest) for A129 Parking Mode support.

A small cabling upgrade was missed in designing the A129 4-clip mount. It was built with only 4 connections, 2 for GPS signals and 2 for power, the camera side USB power port has 5, the extra 3 wires can conduct the new Hardwire ignition signals. Its too bad the GPS mount didn't have 6-connector plate or dual 6-connector plates so both the power cable and second camera could connect to mount for cleaner cabling.

All High Bitrate Firmware both official or MOD will increase stress to processor which generates more heat. The interior of vehicles in full sun in hot summer can reach damaging temperatures for any device. Now add to that extreme heat 45C from normal Bitrate Dash Cam operation, then add additional heat from MODs = reduced internal component lifespan. The Dash Cam will function and when 75-80C is reached it will trigger temperature sensor and shut off, repeat this and damage will occur.

• disable WiFi
  • disable Bluetooth
For very HOT countries or seasons I can create specialized very low bitrate MODs to lower the processor load, side effect is much lower image quality and detail.

Hmmm... And I am actually using your 27MB/S Mod with Viofo Stock Settings...Think best fit... Debating on CPL or No CPL still. Can't make up my mind.. So basically, in the summer I'll need to flash back to a lower Bitrate Mod? Bah humbug.

• disable WiFi
  • disable Bluetooth

I see. That makes sense. How do I know if a lens is misaligned though? I fired up both cameras and they've been running for about a day now. Here's a quick video for both front and rear cameras:

Can you do me a favor and do a quick check and see if there's nothing out of the ordinary with those videos?

What do you mean by "remove any internal tape blocking cooling vents"?

I see. That makes sense. How do I know if a lens is misaligned though? I fired up both cameras and they've been running for about a day now. Here's a quick video for both front and rear cameras:

Can you do me a favor and do a quick check and see if there's nothing out of the ordinary with those videos?

Most accurate way to confirm Lens issues is outside in parking lot with sun overhead or behind facing other vehicles and buildings. Either mount to windshield or held steady out side window. Use the pre-installed Firmware or stock FW1.50, probably good idea to use both set Looping to 1min and keep the footage, remember to disable WiFi. Later review footage on computer and screenshot single best frame and post link here.
The A129 shouldn't have any blocked cooling vents, it occurs on the other models.

Most accurate way to confirm Lens issues is outside in parking lot with sun overhead or behind facing other vehicles and buildings. Either mount to windshield or held steady out side window. Use the pre-installed Firmware or stock FW1.50, probably good idea to use both set Looping to 1min and keep the footage, remember to disable WiFi. Later review footage on computer and screenshot single best frame and post link here.
The A129 shouldn't have any blocked cooling vents, it occurs on the other models.

Ok. I did not upgrade to v1.50 yet because you told me to keep the pre-installed firmware (v1.3) while I test. I can do this test now and post back. So test with pre-installed firmware with 1 minute looping (for about 5 minutes), upgrade the firmware to v1.5, and then test again with the same parameters?

Why do I need to disable WiFi? Is it still because of heat? I mean I don't have it enabled, I'm just curious as to why you want it disabled.

I'll upload the new videos plus a screenshot of the best frame after my tests.

Expanding my Firmware Modifications to include A129, A119S, A119, & A119PRO Dash Cams to enhance and improve image quality and function. You are invited to Post your comments, questions, ideas & footage below.
This post will be updated with all future MOD releases to keep everyone up to date.
Current Stable MODs for Public Download --- Updated February 23, 2019
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Current Beta MODs for Testing --- Updated September 30, 2018

How to load Modified Firmware:
  1. DOWNLOAD the version and modification desired.
  2. COPY new FW MOD file to root of microSD card using computer.
  3. RENAME the FW file from FWA129_MOD-4Uj_v1.50+24F+20RMbs+Sharp123+Edge132+DCTeam.bin ===> to ===> FWA129.bin
  4. Safely Remove memory card from computer.
  5. Disconnect power to Dashcam, disconnect Rear camera.
  6. Insert memory card with binary file into Dash Cam.
  7. Connect power to Dashcam wait 60 seconds for update to restart the Dashcam.
  8. Dashcam will restart on its own, do not disconnect power cable.
  9. Stop recording, then enter MENU and select DEFAULT Setting then wait for Dash Cam to restart.
  10. Configure MENU settings Resolution, Loop, Sharpness, GPS, Date, Time Zone.
NOTE:
Computers show or hide file extensions, if you see the .bin after download make sure it stays after renaming.
If you don't see .bin file extension no need to add it since its there but hidden from view.
A129 is almost unbrickable if you don't flash the BootLoader. If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, copy official A129 firmware file to microSD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTEAM Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official VIOFO releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

Download A129 Duo Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
Download A119S Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html
Download A119 Pro Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-pro-mod-file.html
Download A119 Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-mod-file.html

How to Install Modified Firmware: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com
Dashcam Buyer's Guide & Advice > https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/
Troubleshooting Guide for VIOFO A119S or A119 > https://viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com/p/dash-cam-troubleshooting.html

BCHobbyist will build your Custom A129Duo, A119Pro, A119S & A119 Modified Firmware making adjustments to:
Bit Rate / Frame Rate / Sharpness / Edge Detection / Color Tone / Hue / Brightness / Saturation / Audio Quality /
Menu Text + icons / MP4 embedded Text / Startup Logo /

DashCamTEAM is a group of dedicated, respectful and helpful Dash Cam owners.
We are not associated with DashCamTalk or any Vendor or Manufacturer.
Our Forum Profile identifies active Members.

Please report all issues, thank you for using DCTEAM MODS.
Send MOD Requests by clicking my DashCamTalk Avatar to start Private Conversation, Contact me on BCHobbyist YouTube Channel.

View attachment 41616
Thanks for this , I know a few guys who used this firmware and say how good it is. just installed .4UM version , thanks again

Ok. I did not upgrade to v1.50 yet because you told me to keep the pre-installed firmware (v1.3) while I test. I can do this test now and post back. So test with pre-installed firmware with 1 minute looping (for about 5 minutes), upgrade the firmware to v1.5, and then test again with the same parameters?

Why do I need to disable WiFi? Is it still because of heat? I mean I don't have it enabled, I'm just curious as to why you want it disabled.

I think you are misunderstanding @BCHobbyist advice. He is telling you to run the stock firmware, not to avoid upgrading. Go ahead and flash your camera with Official 1.5 firmware from Viofo.com. Otherwise, you will have ZERO ability to use parking mode if you intend to use the 3 wire hardware kit.

Enabling Wifi will cause the bitrate to drop on recording video. I;m guessing because the WIFI consumes some of the processor / memory, the video quality is then reduced. So only enable Wifi if pulling off a video or making changes to the camera settings via your phone. Otherwise, turn it off..

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding @BCHobbyist advice. He is telling you to run the stock firmware, not to avoid upgrading. Go ahead and flash your camera with Official 1.5 firmware from Viofo.com. Otherwise, you will have ZERO ability to use parking mode if you intend to use the 3 wire hardware kit.

Enabling Wifi will cause the bitrate to drop on recording video. I;m guessing because the WIFI consumes some of the processor / memory, the video quality is then reduced. So only enable Wifi if pulling off a video or making changes to the camera settings via your phone. Otherwise, turn it off.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. I was confused as to why I need to run the "pre-installed" firmware while I'm testing. Stock is a better term than pre-installed, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. I was confused as to why I need to run the "pre-installed" firmware while I'm testing. Stock is a better term than pre-installed, I guess.

Stock is the 1.5 from Viofo Offical Website. @BCHobbyist has created mods based upon the stock 1.5 Viofo Firmware. MODS LINK 27W which I run uses 27MB/S Bitrate Front and 17 Rear. But leaves the Sharpness and Edge Settings to Stock.

Other Mods change Bitrate and Image settings. Once you verify that your camera works with stock firmware, you can play around and find a mod the fits your liking. I have Tint on my window which is proving to be a nightmare. I'm going to stick with the 27W I believe. But then I still can't decide to CPL or Not to CPL. Since it helps at night but creates a Halo effect in the daytime.

My Parking Mode preference is 5fps Time Lapse which only records if visual motion is detected or impact event. Parking Mode on A119S - A119Pro - A119 all work perfectly with my MODs. The A129 voltage sensing Parking Event Modes won't work using Power Banks and so far my MODs are locked out. Once more Bitrate options appear in Menu the Parking Mode lock should weaken.
Viofo blog introduction said Time Lapse "records a video at low frames like 1/2/3/5/10/15 fps. It keeps recording continuously, this avoids any failures which can happen with motion detection especially under low light. The downside is that you may miss details like license plates, as well no audio is captured which could identify people who may have damaged your vehicle."

Based on that, I didn't try Time Lapse, burning memory card cycles needlessly when nothing happens, and/or missing detail and audio when something does.

So I've been using Auto Event Detection instead, which seems to work as expected on stock. I am using the 3-wire kit, so automatic and timely switching in and out of parking mode (ACC instead of GPS/video motion and big wait times), and better flat battery prevention options than 2-wire, but presumably no real difference to modes available.

Apologies if I'm being dumb, but I'm confused. Did you mean your preference would be 5FPS Time Lapse, if it only recorded when motion or other event detected, e.g. on other dash cams, or did you mean that the blog info was wrong, and Time Lapse already only records during event detection?

Your later post #840 seems to make it clear that for my purposes, if wanting to use Auto Event Detection, or anything other than Low Bitrate Recording for parking, with A129 Duo, I should stick to stock firmware? Is that the end of it? Or would you hope to sort the issue out someday, so more or all parking modes become available in mod firmware - is that what you mean by lock should weaken?

Viofo blog introduction said Time Lapse "records a video at low frames like 1/2/3/5/10/15 fps. It keeps recording continuously, this avoids any failures which can happen with motion detection especially under low light. The downside is that you may miss details like license plates, as well no audio is captured which could identify people who may have damaged your vehicle."

Based on that, I didn't try Time Lapse, burning memory card cycles needlessly when nothing happens, and/or missing detail and audio when something does.

So I've been using Auto Event Detection instead, which seems to work as expected on stock. I am using the 3-wire kit, so automatic and timely switching in and out of parking mode (ACC instead of GPS/video motion and big wait times), and better flat battery prevention options than 2-wire, but presumably no real difference to modes available.

Apologies if I'm being dumb, but I'm confused. Did you mean your preference would be 5FPS Time Lapse, if it only recorded when motion or other event detected, e.g. on other dash cams, or did you mean that the blog info was wrong, and Time Lapse already only records during event detection?

Your later post #840 seems to make it clear that for my purposes, if wanting to use Auto Event Detection, or anything other than Low Bitrate Recording for parking, with A129 Duo, I should stick to stock firmware? Is that the end of it? Or would you hope to sort the issue out someday, so more or all parking modes become available in mod firmware - is that what you mean by lock should weaken?
Anyone with Hardwire kit and using Parking Mode shouldn't be in this thread since MODs only support one of the 7 Parking Modes. Use only official firmware for Parking Mode.
I covered all this in earlier post as you referenced.
A129 Parking Mode is unique, use whatever mode matches your needs, they all stress batteries and memory cards.

Testing all new cameras with pre-installed firmware ensures easier returns to vendor and zero chance of failed update firmware corruption. Once you verify dashcam works normally always update to newest firmware.

WiFi generates massive heat but also lowers image quality to 8 Mb/s which is beyond poor. This is not mentioned in manual or official website. This Forum Thread is about improving image quality using Modified Firmware, the moment you enable WiFi and leave it on while driving, even without a smartphone connected it reduces image quality.

Anyone with Hardwire kit and using Parking Mode shouldn't be in this thread since MODs only support one of the 7 Parking Modes. Use only official firmware for Parking Mode.
I covered all this in earlier post as you referenced.
A129 Parking Mode is unique, use whatever mode matches your needs, they all stress batteries and memory cards.
Fairdos. Might have been nice if that was made clearer, not just buried in the 43 pages, and if that post didn't seem to contradict the earlier one quoted, and if you maybe answered the questions instead of getting terse, but whatever, so long, and thanks anyway.

Fairdos. Might have been nice if that was made clearer, not just buried in the 43 pages, and if that post didn't seem to contradict the earlier one quoted, and if you maybe answered the questions instead of getting terse, but whatever, so long, and thanks anyway.

I have 3 wire hardwire kit. Using mod 27W (27Mbps Bitrate Front 17Mbps Bitrate Rear) and parking mode with low bitrate recording works fine. Haven't experienced negative drawbacks yet. Whens summer rolls around and it's 30C (86 Degrees out) we'll have to see what happens. Since the temperature inside a baking car is much hotter than the ambient temperature outside.

Back